Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Post by synonymist » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

beepnsleep wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:34 pm
also will second Filter 8 for Osc/LFO/utility duties, though it mainly is a sin source as an oscillator.
For perfect pitch tracking, that's true. But also, this from the manual:

SAW WAVE OSCILLATOR

Another application for feedback is changing the waveshape in oscillator mode. Patch the BP4 output to the exponential FM input. The EFM depth now determines the waveshape. At maximum modulation depth, the LP2 and BB+N output signals will be near-perfect saw/ramp waves.
The other outputs provide additional interesting waveshapes, ranging from rectified sine waves to curved saws. Note that the feedback depth also affects the volt per octave pitch tracking.

beepnsleep wrote:
I always feel a bit guilty using it... use it as a filter and you sacrifice octature sin, use it for slew/CV modifications and it's not filtering or providing sins, use it to ping and you aren't doing the previous
Yes, I hear you. :) But it's patch programmable! :cloud:

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 pm

ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Mon May 18, 2020 11:28 pm

The Furthrrrr Generator is everything I want in a VCO. It sounds fat and warm. Is very playable, fun to self patch and has great quick routing options for complex patches.

I wouldn't really put the STO as a bread and butter VCO. More like a nice compliment of exotic jam to go along with your bread and butter. It lacks some standard features and wave shapes. But adds other features normal VCOs don't have. It's a nice complement.

For just a nice standard VCO the Thomas Henry 4046 VCO is great and has a lot of features and patch points. It's DIY. If you can get past the size of it, it's versatile VCO with a nice warm sound.
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Mon May 18, 2020 11:32 pm

I'd say Dixie II+ or WMD/SSF Spectrum. Agree with others that STO is wonderful but not really a bread and butter oscillator, but in addition to what everyone else is saying I'd add that it has just killer sync sounds.

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Mon May 18, 2020 11:50 pm

I am in the camp that a triangle wave is kinda a triangle wave in a full mix ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

that said, WMD spectrum hits the feature checklist and isn’t too expensive. the STO is also super cool in a totally different way (and that big knob is awesome haha)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 pm

For me, it’s rubicon 2, Dixie and ssf spectrum

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 am

I like my AJH oscillators but if I was choosing an alternative I would seriously consider the synth tech E300.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 am

Big fan of the SSF ZPO. Tons of outputs, sub -1 or -2, tuning lock, 3 really good sounding PWM types, unique sync sound, unique Zero Point functionality for AM, standard Linear and Exp FM, TZ linear and exp FM, dual wave shaping outputs with CV control and the ability to morph/crossfade between them. Did I mention it also sounds great?

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue May 19, 2020 12:44 am

target_destroyed wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm
Tiptop Z3000 is still a nice workhorse oscillator. Checks all the boxes in albiedamned's post too, minus the octave switch.
Definitely. As are the various incarnations of Intellijel Dixie and the Doepfers.

Sebastian Cain
Common Wiggler

Post by Sebastian Cain » Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 am

3hands wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:29 pm
I use my Livewire AFG constantly. It’s a stunning analogue Osc.
AFG is big - both in sound and hp. Not your standard oscillator but worthy of attention.

robkramble
Wiggling with Experience

Post by robkramble » Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 am

Current owner of a Dixie II and Dixie II+, former STO owner. All are fantastic and straightforward, while tonally flexible with mods like mixers, wavefolders, fm sources, etc.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 am

I have to apologise to Expert Sleepers and os for saying in one of my posts in this topic that the Disting cannot do a true sine wave.

Having checked the manual (which I should have done before posting) it appears that the B7 algorithm, VCO with linear FM has the option for a sine wave. I have just checked the wave using SPAN and it is indeed a true sine with no harmonics as far as SPAN is concerned.

I have edited that post using text strike through so you can see what I said originally.

Bottom line is, RTFM.

cheers

andy

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 19, 2020 6:39 am

Bread and butter is better with garlic. And maybe cheese, and bacon. :mrgreen:

If we're talking filters as oscillators, Three Sisters is a good one: you can get a little additive with three sines, and it FMs beautifully (including FMing itself).

Filter 8 is good, but I think Angle Grinder is a much more interesting oscillator. (The main thing Filter 8 has on it is more filter outputs and smaller size.)

melodydad
Muffuselah

Post by melodydad » Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 am

target_destroyed wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm
Tiptop Z3000 is still a nice workhorse oscillator. Checks all the boxes in albiedamned's post too, minus the octave switch.
To add to the several posts in this topic I have had these three z3000's since 2012 - some of my first Eurorack purchases. Others have come and gone but these are keepers. So much functionality, rock solid and with the addition of a Triatt to attenuate the waveshaper input I am not sure all this doesn't get near to a complex osc:
IMG_0240 (Medium).jpg
. . . we better let him in . . . . . he's got a Theremin . . . (HMHB: 'Look Dad No Tunes')

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Tue May 19, 2020 8:23 am

My votes:

- WMD/SSF Spectrum. Saw core, but still with a decent sine out. It has every classic waveshape plus switchable sub, really handy octave switching, hard sync, and a unique waveshape.

- Instruo TSL. Triangle core. Pulse, tri, sine, wavefold, and a quirky PWM out. Soft sync. I find the sine out on mine to be particularly sweet. It's an awesome little beast. My only complaint is that it's a little too small, and tight to get into all the jacks and knobs.

More complicated, but not 'complex':

- SSF ZPO. This is a great, wide ranging oscillator if you have lots of modulation sources to throw at it. The A / B mixing across the waveshapes (especially between the tri & inverted sine) is huge.

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Tue May 19, 2020 8:38 am

albiedamned wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
This thread will quickly turn into everyone recommending their own personal favorite oscillator. For me that's the WMD/SSF Spectrum, simply because of its versatility and ease of use. One thing I always like to see is 5 knobs: coarse tuning, fine tuning, FM attenuation, pulse width, and PWM attenuation. Spectrum has all these plus buttons for octave selection. When you look at other basic analog oscillators, it's surprising how many of them don't have all 5 knobs. Some other things Spectrum has which I always like in an oscillator:

- regular and LFO mode
- linear and exponential fm
- all the basic waveforms: sine, tri, saw, square/pulse
- hard sync

The sub-oscillator functionality, with switchable octave (-1 or -2) and waveform (square or saw) is also great.
These days my favorite vco is by far Generate 3. And it's true it doesn't have 5 knobs either but ... it has 8 :hihi:

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 am

Z3000 - and oldie but a goodie.

Hasn't been mentioned yet but I think the Roland 512 is fantastic as a bread & butter oscillator. Dual independent oscs, octave switches, very beefy, PWM, sync, 3 cv ins per oscillator.

I love my Hertz Donut mk1 as my main/bread & butter oscillator. Clean sines, lots of modulation points and switches. Gorgeous FM (and AM!) if you can still find one.
Last edited by Bachelard on Tue May 19, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 am

My favorite is my Rubicon, I'd really like to get a v2. Admittedly I have little exposure to other oscillators other than the Dixie2+ Pittsburgh Waveforms, Quadnic, Plaits, and Mother 32s that I possess, it's a long way to a modular shop from here.

I guess I have a thing for Rubicons... oscillators... Jeeps...

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue May 19, 2020 9:35 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Dixie is a modern classic for FM modulation.
SMH my head.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 am

I dumped almost all my VCOs for wave players and granular modules but kept the two ones I liked the most, a pair of older Analogue Systems RS-90 VCOs. I like them because they are very close to the first VCOs I ever owned, the ones on an EMS VCS3 and AKS. They have similar wave shaping, though the EMS didn't have CV over it, a wide range, and the variable CV input can go up to 0.5v/oct (close but not as far as the EMS 0.32v/oct) which is great for some snappy fast frequency Ray-guns from Mars pitch sweeps. My older RS-90 is no longer in production I believe, but the new RS-95 is almost the same. The added vernier pitch knobs really give there EMS vibe and they added the SAW\TRI output which has the ability to also be used as an input to control the Sine Shape (pretty neat trick that).
AS RS-95 VCO.png
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Another vote for the WMD/SSF Spectrum. Every waveform you could ever want.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Since Steffcorp was mentioned above (I think) but is out of print I have high hopes for the new G-Storm 2600 inspired VCO - demo sounds pretty nice. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-4027-vco

Seems to be "all discrete", core wise, fwiw.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 pm

B0bcat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 pm
Since Steffcorp was mentioned above (I think) but is out of print I have high hopes for the new G-Storm 2600 inspired VCO - demo sounds pretty nice. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-4027-vco

Seems to be "all discrete", core wise, fwiw.
Well shit I settled on the e300... until now. Just watched these demos. Damn.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm

E300 looks great too :)

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:39 am
Filter 8 is good, but I think Angle Grinder is a much more interesting oscillator. (The main thing Filter 8 has on it is more filter outputs and smaller size.)
+1 on Angle Grinder. Freakin' love that module.

Maybe take a look at Circuit Slices dual parallel vco. Triangle core, tracks 8-9 octaves. I often use osc2 as an LFO. Solid, well-built, and no problems in the 9-10 months I've owned it. Nothing fancy, just a solid dual vco.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”