Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Bread and Butter Analog Oscillators in 2020

Post by evs » Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 am

I just got one dreadbox hysteria.
I like that it has an inbuild quantiser, super practical somehow, and it sounds great audio range modulated..!
And it’s dead cheap.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 am

B0bcat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm
E300 looks great too :)
It's a beast! Last month I got one used and the thing is just great in everything it does. The sync + FM just kills it. Shortly after I got another one and they will be in my case forever. I love analog Oscs! Had to calibrate them though, maybe the first user fiddled with the calibration. Was an easy thing just following the manual. It's rock solid now. You could call it bread and butter because there is no special new feature, but that's also a good thing IMO.

I don't see the G3 as bread and butter otherwise I'd recommend it here, completely different beast.

here is a bass made with the e300 and cwejman vco-6, detailed patchnotes in the description:

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Wed May 20, 2020 7:44 am

Almost forgot, Doboz has this slick-looking & -sounding, great bread & butter VCO:

http://doboz.audio/vco-340/

JRamella
Common Wiggler

Post by JRamella » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am

sduck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm
I have 2 Even VCOs by Befaco and they're great.

I have 3 Synthtech 300 vcos in MOTM format, they've long been my go to basic vco. I don't have any e300s (yet).
Do you know if the e300 are exact clones of the MOTM 300 (outside of adding the sub oct? Paul adding Dave Rossum's name to it made it sound like it might be different? I have 2 MOTM 300's and while I like their stability, the Oakley VCO, IMHO... sounds a lot better. MOTM 300 is almost clinical.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:31 am

If you want to experience a very unusual VCO then the XR22 VCO FT from CG Products is worth looking at.
From the description (beside having a ring modulator and AM Input) :
Further, the FSK (frequency shift keying) option with its two switchable different oscillator frequencies – controllable by the two big-sized knobs (and their respective fine-tuning knobs and frequency-CV inputs) – allows advanced waveform generation. The oscillator’s squarewave output can be switched directly to the FSK input, resulting in separate controlling of the rising/falling edges of the sine/triangle signal and the duty-cycle of the square output (for generating ramp and pulse waveforms) by the knobs and CV.

Phil Frog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil Frog » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:14 am

I like the sound of my desktop Vermona (Perfourmer, 2 Mono Lancet) so much that I put a Unicycle in my case. Love it too.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:08 pm

JRamella wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am
sduck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm
I have 2 Even VCOs by Befaco and they're great.

I have 3 Synthtech 300 vcos in MOTM format, they've long been my go to basic vco. I don't have any e300s (yet).
Do you know if the e300 are exact clones of the MOTM 300 (outside of adding the sub oct? Paul adding Dave Rossum's name to it made it sound like it might be different? I have 2 MOTM 300's and while I like their stability, the Oakley VCO, IMHO... sounds a lot better. MOTM 300 is almost clinical.
You probably want to look for the e300 thread for that info. I don't think it's an exact clone, as some of the parts are really hard to find.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm
Hello everyone, hope all is well with you guys.

I'm wanting to buy an analog oscillator and at the moment the Malekko Richter 2 is top of my list. I was considering the AJH MiniMod but after a recent thread about troubles with them I was turned off.

So what are your favorite analog oscillators that you guys are turning to these days?
Each VCO has such a different flavor. I pay close attention to the character of the FM and synch since that’s where I feel that you find the largest differences. The Richter also has fantastic phase modulation (PM). Also, there are many timbre variations that you get by amplitude modulating one waveform with another from the same VCO.

I’ve got 9 VCO’s but here is my take on the singles that I have:

- Dixie 2+ - triangle core, AMAZING West Coast FM, hard and soft synch (very different than most soft synch), pulse width modulation, sub-oscillator, very stable, great pitch tracking, LFO mode, octave switch
- STO - triangle core, AWESOME variable waveshaper, terrific FM especially when combined with synch (from really growling to mean sounding to ultra sweet) especially when run through a wavefolder, gated sub-oscillator, very stable, OK pitch tracking, no PWM (although you can use a voltage comparator for this)
- Richter II - sawtooth core, TERRIFIC phase modulation and PM options, incredible range of timbres when cross amplitude modulating or cross fading using a different out of phase waveform, screaming banshee synch (love it), no PWM (although you can do this with a voltage comparator), needs warm up, good pitch tracking, awesome LFO mode and options, nice big fine tune knob
- Z3000 Mk 2 - sawtooth core, built in frequency counter, great hard synch, very unusual but usable hard synch modulation, sine/triangle waveshaping, unusual sine (reminds me of my old Moog VCOs), PWM, LFO mode

My recommendation is that you spend time listening to demos of each VCO you are considering. You won’t hear much difference in the raw waveforms, so listen carefully to FM, synch, FM with synch and any special waveshaping features. If you favor West Coast synthesis, you’ll probably want a triangle core. Do you need your VCO to double as an LFO? If so, this would rule out the STO.

Which one is my favorite? It all depends on what I’m recording at the time. But overall, I find the Richter to have such a broad sonic palette - phase modulation, phase modulated self AM, all with a really rich synch, powerful LFO options - but I do use a comparator for PWM.

I hope this helps...

sabrosynth
1-Post Wiggler

Post by sabrosynth » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Hi! I'm currently looking for an analog oscillator with for melodic/lead work. I have experience with Dixie 2 and 2hp VCO v2. Though it is not very feature rich and the controls feel pretty cheap, out of those two my favorite is the sound of the 2hp VCO, it sounds very similar to my Moog m32s. I also have a DPO as a complex oscillator but I wish I had something that could be better for melodic work with something like octave switching? Is there such thing? I'm currently looking at AJH Minimod vintage transistor core vco and Doepfer A-111-2 though they're not complex quite oscillators, I could potentially pair them. I really like vintage synth sounds like my roland sh-2 and so something like that could also be fun.

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:24 am

sabrosynth wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 pm
Hi! I'm currently looking for an analog oscillator with for melodic/lead work. I have experience with Dixie 2 and 2hp VCO v2. Though it is not very feature rich and the controls feel pretty cheap, out of those two my favorite is the sound of the 2hp VCO, it sounds very similar to my Moog m32s. I also have a DPO as a complex oscillator but I wish I had something that could be better for melodic work with something like octave switching? Is there such thing? I'm currently looking at AJH Minimod vintage transistor core vco and Doepfer A-111-2 though they're not complex quite oscillators, I could potentially pair them. I really like vintage synth sounds like my roland sh-2 and so something like that could also be fun.
You can add a precision adder to any VCO to provide octave switching. I have several Doepfer 185-2 precision adders and they can also be used for other purposes like switching voltage sources. On a side note I find the DPO superb for melodies. Be gentle with the FM and be sure to dynamically modulate the other shaping parameters.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

Xtheunknown wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm

My recommendation is that you spend time listening to demos of each VCO you are considering. You won’t hear much difference in the raw waveforms, so listen carefully to FM, synch, FM with synch and any special waveshaping features. If you favor West Coast synthesis, you’ll probably want a triangle core. Do you need your VCO to double as an LFO? If so, this would rule out the STO.
true and it's really easy to figure out, if it happens that the soundcharacter of the demos pleases you then it might be the one for you.

discreet-cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by discreet-cowboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:56 am

+1 to the STO but even better next to a Mangrove (the bread AND butter)

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:45 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:23 am
- Instruo TSL. Triangle core. Pulse, tri, sine, wavefold, and a quirky PWM out. Soft sync. I find the sine out on mine to be particularly sweet. It's an awesome little beast. My only complaint is that it's a little too small, and tight to get into all the jacks and knobs.
@closedLoop, can the TSL run in the LFO range? The only reference i can find in the documentation is "wide frequency range".

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:55 pm

bread and butter? that would be WMD/SSF Spectrum for me too!

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Hard to beat the WMD/SSF Spectrum. Have 2 and often refrain from grabbing more
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Does anybody have experience with the GRP VCO? It seems to have great features, and I think GRP is well regarded as a firm. I have been looking at it as my first "bread and butter analog oscillator" (my current VCOs are all digital), but I rarely see it mentioned or discussed here and I wonder why.

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm

albiedamned wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
This thread will quickly turn into everyone recommending their own personal favorite oscillator. For me that's the WMD/SSF Spectrum, simply because of its versatility and ease of use. One thing I always like to see is 5 knobs: coarse tuning, fine tuning, FM attenuation, pulse width, and PWM attenuation. Spectrum has all these plus buttons for octave selection. When you look at other basic analog oscillators, it's surprising how many of them don't have all 5 knobs. Some other things Spectrum has which I always like in an oscillator:

- regular and LFO mode
- linear and exponential fm
- all the basic waveforms: sine, tri, saw, square/pulse
- hard sync

The sub-oscillator functionality, with switchable octave (-1 or -2) and waveform (square or saw) is also great.
Does anybody that has the WMD/SSF Spectrum know what the limit/range of the course tune knob is? Like +/- how many semitones or octaves when fully CCW vs CW? Thanks!

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:21 pm

sagetone wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:45 pm

@closedLoop, can the TSL run in the LFO range? The only reference i can find in the documentation is "wide frequency range".
It definitely can be turned down into LFO range, but it doesn't have a switch to knock it up and down between control and audio range.

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:21 pm
sagetone wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:45 pm

It definitely can be turned down into LFO range, but it doesn't have a switch to knock it up and down between control and audio range.
Thanks @closedLoop. I'm going to watch the vids on it, am interested in picking it up to replace the 6HP Dixie II in my portable rig.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 pm

+1 for the TSL

_cyberAnalog_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _cyberAnalog_ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 pm

- regular and LFO mode
- linear and exponential fm
- all the basic waveforms: sine, tri, saw, square/pulse
- hard sync
I have bought two Nano Modules ONA oscillators recently. Very happy with them. They are very similar to Dixie II+ (also same size). But I hesitated to buy Dixies, because I really don't like these octave step switches (array switches?). The ONA, instead, has a big round stepped octave knob you just want to use.

Really nice are two additional "complex" waveforms. Not really "complex", but they give surprising results when being modulated or when used as modulators (compared to usual waveforms).

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:21 pm

That new ONA oscillator seems a pefect fit. sounds chunky, and a stepped octave knob is pretty handy for on the fly changes.

Also, almost every one uses a big knob for tune and a small one for fine tuning. I have a Livewire AFG (sweet mother of an oscillator) and this has fine tune on the big one. Sooo much handier to tune!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:44 pm

DonaldCrunk wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 pm
When I think bread-and-butter analog I typically think of either a Dopefer A110 or MN STO, both mentioned above. I've kept the STO because I enjoy the sound; both A110 and a TipTop Z3000 (another great bread-and-butter) were sold.
Same as the three posters here^ and above this post. Since you already have a Doepfer, I would also recommend the STO. There are many choice, but for the size, money and bang for the old buck... they're great. Get a Doepfer A-183-2 Offset/Polarizer/Attenuator (or similar) to maximize the range of the STO Shape input, otherwise you are selling the module short. Very important - offset/polarize/attenuate.

The Malekko Richter VCO II is a good stock analog VCO and also has the Phase outputs and input (as mentioned). It's also a great VC LFO. A bit wide compared to the crampy offers of today, but a great value, sound source and control set. It's my go to in Euro analog (current analog Euro stash: Sputnik VCO (x2), Stutnik DVCO, Malekko/Ricther VCO II, Makenoise STO).

So many choices - but these you are considering are great simple analog offers. Quite deep if you take the time.
FS: Pedals, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 pm

Saw lots of recs for Spectrum and was very much in the market for one until I watched a video recently and now ought to express a somewhat serious (depending on how you patch) caveat emptor.

The sine wave output on Spectrum is out of phase with its other outputs. The major appeal of Spectrum for me was the five-knob layout, hard sync and very clean sine. The excellent sine shaping is the cause of the shift, as I understand it. This will probably be small potatoes to most users, but for me it was a deal-breaker.

I've been a Dixie V1 user since day one, and I can't imagine my synth without them. Whatever they lack, they make up for in tiny size and excellent sound. Slap a Triatt next to it and you're at full functionality in 10hp, with a more "modular" approach to knob-per-function.

Also want to toss in my other analog osc, the Bubblesound vcob. Great form factor, true five-knob layout, only 8hp for the space-conscious. Goes WELL into sub-and-super-audio rates if you're into that sort of thing.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:07 am

+1 for the Pittsburgh Lifeforms Primary Oscillator.

Honorable mentions for me would be the Dixie as well as Instruo’s Ts-L and Tona.

Shouldn’t that disting shirt have a _______ where the “oscillator” is? :lol:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Return to “Eurorack Modules”