DIY CASE BUILD

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle

DIY CASE BUILD

Post by Derkdigg1er » Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am

What’s up guys I’m building a 12u portable case that I want to use 2-intellijel 80w bus boards and power supplies on. On the side of both 6u cases I want to put a mounting dish for the bus board jack and a switch. I emailed intellijel about it but all I got was a response saying we will add the jack with the bus board. So my question is what switch and jack can I use. From research I saw it was a Switchcraft 712a jack I believe but I’m not sure what switch to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DIY CASE BUILD

Post by KSS » Wed May 20, 2020 5:09 am

Plug the brick into a switched outlet power strip and don't use a switch on the synth case itself.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Wed May 20, 2020 6:27 am

Just curious why, because the brick is always on with the panel switch? I wouldn't think it to be a problem with no current draw from the synth, though it probably consumes a little juice.

I ask because I had mine like that (switch on w/power strip) until I put the panel switches in, it makes life so much easier.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am

Parnelli wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:27 am
Just curious why, because the brick is always on with the panel switch?
Yes. But also because switching 'high' amp DC with cheap switches has its own problems.
I wouldn't think it to be a problem with no current draw from the synth, though it probably consumes a little juice.
There are increasing national and world wide regulatory agencies working to shut down these 'small' constant usage electrical drains on the grid.
I ask because I had mine like that (switch on w/power strip) until I put the panel switches in, it makes life so much easier.
There's no reason -besides otherwise common practice of longer mains cords- not to use a short 1' mains cord and therefore have the power strip switch easily accessible. Same can be done with longer mains cords too. You don't *have to* make the power strip switch hard to reach.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am

I have a whole setup with 4 different cases on one long table.
All of it is plugged into a power strip.
Easy to turn on, easy to turn off.
----When it is off powerline transients can not get into any of my synths----
I think that is the best reason to use a power strip as the main switch
Also, my power strip has some pretty serious transient protection in it, including the MOVs that I put in it.
My sound system (ok stereo, but it is a serious tri-amped stereo) is also on another power strip.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :doh:
.......Not really a musician.......

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 20, 2020 11:40 am

^^ +1

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Derkdigg1er » Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Wow this is literally gonna sound dumb as hell but I never considered using a power strip with a switch on it. I guess I just got used to seeing cases bought pre made having switches and outlets on them lol

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Derkdigg1er » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Thank you guys as simple as that was made my life a lot simpler in building this case haha

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am
I have a whole setup with 4 different cases on one long table.
All of it is plugged into a power strip.
Easy to turn on, easy to turn off.
----When it is off powerline transients can not get into any of my synths----
I think that is the best reason to use a power strip as the main switch
... as long as the switch on the power strip doesn't short ... yes. the only real sure thing is to pull the plug from the wall, especially during electrical storms/lightning.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 pm
the only real sure thing is to pull the plug from the wall, especially during electrical storms/lightning.
Yes. This will also extend the likelylife of the MOVs inside many surge protection schemes within power strips.
MOVs degrade with each surge. Depending on the size of the surge, your surge 'protection' can be gone in one cycle.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed May 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I think that is the best reason to use a power strip as the main switch ... as long as the switch on the power strip doesn't short ... yes. the only real sure thing is to pull the plug from the wall, especially during electrical storms/lightning.
DOH!!
actually I have it plugged into an outlet that is on a LIGHTSWITCH.
I did that a long time ago to bother a women who was living at my house.
She would come in, turn the light on and BZZ blam beep bloop.
She was not a big fan of my synths
but, that still has a small distance for a spark to jump, inside the switch.
So, the only safe thing is pull plug from wall.

and de-rack your modules, put them in boxes and place the boxes in a safe, inside a vault in a volcano
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :doh:
.......Not really a musician.......

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks. At my age I'll probably wear out before the switch does though.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:38 am

Foghorn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:39 pm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I think that is the best reason to use a power strip as the main switch ... as long as the switch on the power strip doesn't short ... yes. the only real sure thing is to pull the plug from the wall, especially during electrical storms/lightning.
DOH!!
actually I have it plugged into an outlet that is on a LIGHTSWITCH.
I did that a long time ago to bother a women who was living at my house.
She would come in, turn the light on and BZZ blam beep bloop.
She was not a big fan of my synths
but, that still has a small distance for a spark to jump, inside the switch.
So, the only safe thing is pull plug from wall.

and de-rack your modules, put them in boxes and place the boxes in a safe, inside a vault in a volcano
there is NO distance for a spark to jump if the main switch mechanically fails and the points inside of the switch come into mechanical contact with one another. it's no longer a switch at that point, but rather a conductor. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I owned and operated a repair shop for nearly twenty years. Switches of all kinds fail on a very regular basis. for example, i'm looking at a box near my computer right now that has four old power strips with failed switches that i've intended to repair but have never gotten around to it. i mean, everyone may do as they please, of course. all i am saying is that if some sort of transient spike is a real concern, the only sure thing when it comes to protecting your multi-thousand dollar investment is to remove the plug from the wall, or some other action that mechanically disconnects the equipment from the source of electricity ... a disconnect that you can actually see with your own eyebones.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am

Derkdigg1er wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am
I’m building a 12u portable case
looking forward to the pictures!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 am

KSS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am
There are increasing national and world wide regulatory agencies working to shut down these 'small' constant usage electrical drains on the grid.
they went after the AC DC power supply makers already. in EU they had to redesign all the laptop power supplies to have some kind of sleep mode basically. there are two transformers in those power supplies now. the little tiny one is there to power the line and load sense circuit. with no load the power supply is consuming less than 50mA but that depends on your country and the wattage of the power supply. the bigger power supplies can legally suck more in quiescent current. the little ones are limited to 15mA in sleep mode. this is why I tell people not to worry about it. also I think that now that the devices are fixed, and the government is running things, how or why are people actually going to care about saving electricity without the electricity police arresting people. the average mansion is perfectly legal. charging up your yacht while in port, NO problem! the energy efficiency of batteries and devices for boats and aircraft is crap but the EU lawmakers use them anyway. probably exempt anyway. they only care about taking electricity away from poor people.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Eurorack Modules”