Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
kriskeyman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:29 am

Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by kriskeyman » Tue May 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Any alternative modules like Beasts Chalkbord? Needs to have 2-3 inputs, thru, along with +/- per input. CV control a plus.

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4574
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by lisa » Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 pm

So, exactly as the BC but something else? I’m quite sure (and I’ve checked) that there’s nothing like that available. There are some quite digital, complex, multi purpose modules that might be able to do the same thing but that seems like overkill.

Why not just get the BC?
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:



We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:36 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by sierraoskar » Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am

If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4574
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by lisa » Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am

sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:



We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:36 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by sierraoskar » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 am

lisa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
Ah yes - first thing the morning my eyes clearly hadn’t opened enough to see those 4 little characters :doh:

User avatar
darylc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by darylc » Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 pm

From looking myself before there really isn't anything else around that does specifically what the Beast's Chalkboard does.
Apart from the mind-boggling ergonomics of the module it's perfect. All patched up it can be an unusable mess...

Also CV control over this kind of function is essentially just a sequencer into a 2-3 input adder unit...

Other options not mentioned...
doepfer a-185-2 (single adder, with mult out, +/- voltages)
vpme.de t43 (single adder, no mult out, +/- voltages)

jox2000
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by jox2000 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 pm

What about Klavis caltrans?

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4574
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by lisa » Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 pm

jox2000 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 pm
What about Klavis caltrans?
No thru.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:



We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

User avatar
noise-e
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by noise-e » Wed May 20, 2020 7:15 pm

lisa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
Just to jump in here: QG's inputs are normaled and act as a mult when unpatched. A through could be achieved by leaving a lower channel's input unpatched and untransposed. :party:
-Markus

User avatar
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm

lisa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
Am I missing something? Doesn't a Stackable into the input provide a through?

I have a BC. What is it that is missing for you? CV control?

User avatar
void23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:34 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by void23 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Jumbuktu wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm
lisa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
Am I missing something? Doesn't a Stackable into the input provide a through?

I have a BC. What is it that is missing for you? CV control?
Normally, you should try to avoid splitting pitch signals. That's what buffered mults are for.

User avatar
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by Jumbuktu » Thu May 21, 2020 12:26 am

void23 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 pm
Jumbuktu wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm
lisa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 am
If I understand what you’re saying, this would work?: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quant-gemi

Doesn’t have CV transposition but can be paired with: https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax
Lacks thru. Could be paired with a mult but the combo will take up as much space and cost more.
Am I missing something? Doesn't a Stackable into the input provide a through?

I have a BC. What is it that is missing for you? CV control?
Normally, you should try to avoid splitting pitch signals. That's what buffered mults are for.
I haven't needed one. I haven't noticed audible voltage drop off.

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6777
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 pm

darylc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 pm
From looking myself before there really isn't anything else around that does specifically what the Beast's Chalkboard does.
I tried two. They never worked right. I have an eye on the ACL Oktave. Similar but different.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

User avatar
msegarra
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by msegarra » Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 pm

I’ve thought this module was named breast’s chalkboard for years

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6777
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re: Beast’s Chalkboard alternative?

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 22, 2020 11:56 pm

msegarra wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 pm
I’ve thought this module was named breast’s chalkboard for years
Makes as much sense. I thought it was Beast's Cockboard for a second. It was bunk. Maybe they fixed the issues.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”