Pitch to CV options (I know I know, but can it be DONE??)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dolphinwolf
Common Wiggler

Re: Pitch to CV options (I know I know, but can it be DONE??)

Post by Dolphinwolf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm

I have input my guitar into the BMC Guitar Input and then into A*B+C as a phase comparator with the Mother 32’s output and put that output into the M32’s v/oct and it tracked chords as well as single notes.

I have never been able to extract a v/oct signal from a pll patch that would allow an independent oscillator to track without it’s output being part of the phase comparator. I have tried filtering, slew, rectification and all kinds of fake magic but never had any success.

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 pm

This oscillator is relevant I think:

https://sonicsmith.com/products/convertor-e1/

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 pm

edit: looks good, but it seems to be a separate sound generator, rather than a signal processor/'through' module like the Analogue Systems RS-35N. Looks like you'd need a MIDI converter to route signals to other modules.

lavalamps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lavalamps » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 pm

This software (https://imitone.com) is getting closer and closer to actually working well. Maybe someday something like it will be adapted to modular and allow for very flexible pitch sources. Automatically or manually making adjustments for all different sources quickly though... I don't know, hard problems to solve. Might fit in with the range of problems neural nets are solving these days.

jollyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by jollyjack » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm

1n wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
Dragonaut wrote:

edit: looks good, but it seems to be a separate sound generator, rather than a signal processor/'through' module like the Analogue Systems RS-35N. Looks like you'd need a MIDI converter to route signals to other modules.
No, it does the same thing as the RS-35N (outputs pitch CV, gate and envelope from audio input). Most likely better because they specialize in pitch tracking products only. The major difference is that the Convertor E1 also has a built in oscillator (that tracks either audio or 1V/oct input). Got one on pre-order so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm
1n wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
Dragonaut wrote:

No, it does the same thing as the RS-35N (outputs pitch CV, gate and envelope from audio input). Most likely better because they specialize in pitch tracking products only. The major difference is that the Convertor E1 also has a built in oscillator (that tracks either audio or 1V/oct input). Got one on pre-order so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.
...so it does more than one thing - clearly, beyond me ;) :party:

in which case, I am re-interested... however, I'm waiting on the long anticipated Flame Vocorder, available next month, and it will have to be either/or

I love derived signals

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 pm

I am interested in either of these solutions ability to track vocals. If anyone has/or can share examples when they have the modules would be great :D

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Pitch to CV options

Post by ricko » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am

starthief wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:51 pm
Most pitch trackers are going to get weird when the input signal goes silent. Normally you'd also pair them with an envelope follower and a VCA to silence the mess (on the Disting, the algorithm includes an envelope follower).
There is a kind of module called "track and hold": it keeps the last note when the gate is off, so you want an envelope follower with a gate function.

(Alternatively, a gated lag generator (like Fonik's) with inverted gate in will slow down the madness)

Perhaps what is also really needed is a voltage controlled quantizer, so that high volume signals are not quantized but signals at margins get highly quantized.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”