Voltage Block Alternative

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm

Hello Noise Freaks!
I’ve been putting a rack together for about 6 months so I am pretty new but learning so damn much! I spend 2 to 3 hours a day just exploring and experimenting with my gear. The fun never ends!

Anyway, got a Basimilus a while ago when I realized I never want to touch a DAW again - other than to push the record button. I’ve also got a FR Transient+ and between the two of them I’ve got the beginnings of a decent rhythm section.

Now I need modulation to really unlock what those two gems can do. Had my eye on VB for a while now but thought I’d ask on here for any other modules that considering before I pull the trigger???

User avatar
daphnid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by daphnid » Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm


GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 pm

Damn, I should have mentioned that I have a Mimetic Digitalis already. It's ok, a bit tedious to dial in but I like using that for my 4ms STS to dial in samples.

I was wondering if there might be something smaller than VB that is a nice flexible CV sequencer.

Thanks for the link!

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 pm

I think just "no" is the real answer.

User avatar
bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by bedhed3000 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 pm
I was wondering if there might be something smaller than VB that is a nice flexible CV sequencer.
Another Mimetic Digitalis? j/k But honestly Voltage Block is kind of like Maths in that it is almost impossible to get the same features in a smaller size, and at a similar price point. Assuming that you require multiple, simultaneous outputs, you could try Varigate 4+, but you only get 8 steps per channel vs 16 from the VB (it's only 12HP tho so fuck it). Multi-channel eurorack sequencers are big and expensive, so your options are limited.

Make sure you study this: https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by bemushroomed » Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm

bedhed3000 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm
you could try Varigate 4+, but you only get 8 steps per channel vs 16 from the VB (it's only 12HP tho so fuck it).
Varigate isn't even a CV-sequencer, it's a trigger sequencer. edit: sorry, i see that it's updated to do CV as well, cool!

Voltage Block is a great module and not that big for what it does. I do wish the jacks would have been on the top, because this is typically a module you want close to where you're sitting and with tons of modules above it to modulate, but now the cables will go over the entire module unless you're super tidy and use velcro straps and let those 10 cables block some other module instead.

I don't know of any other module that lets me dial in 60 samples from my BitBox.

User avatar
daphnid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by daphnid » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm
bedhed3000 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm
you could try Varigate 4+, but you only get 8 steps per channel vs 16 from the VB (it's only 12HP tho so fuck it).
Varigate isn't even a CV-sequencer, it's a trigger sequencer. edit: sorry, i see that it's updated to do CV as well, cool!

Voltage Block is a great module and not that big for what it does. I do wish the jacks would have been on the top, because this is typically a module you want close to where you're sitting and with tons of modules above it to modulate, but now the cables will go over the entire module unless you're super tidy and use velcro straps and let those 10 cables block some other module instead.

I don't know of any other module that lets me dial in 60 samples from my BitBox.
The jacks are on top tho...

User avatar
bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by bedhed3000 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm
bemushroomed wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm
bedhed3000 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm
you could try Varigate 4+, but you only get 8 steps per channel vs 16 from the VB (it's only 12HP tho so fuck it).
Varigate isn't even a CV-sequencer, it's a trigger sequencer. edit: sorry, i see that it's updated to do CV as well, cool!

Voltage Block is a great module and not that big for what it does. I do wish the jacks would have been on the top, because this is typically a module you want close to where you're sitting and with tons of modules above it to modulate, but now the cables will go over the entire module unless you're super tidy and use velcro straps and let those 10 cables block some other module instead.

I don't know of any other module that lets me dial in 60 samples from my BitBox.
The jacks are on top tho...
The older Varigate 4 has jacks on the bottom. I think that's what was being referenced.

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by bemushroomed » Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm

The jacks are on top tho...
you're right, i was thinking about my varigate 8+. I find it annoying sometimes on the varigate because it's a _lot_ of cables going out of the bottom of it..

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm

bedhed3000 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm
GregIcky wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 pm
I was wondering if there might be something smaller than VB that is a nice flexible CV sequencer.
Another Mimetic Digitalis? j/k But honestly Voltage Block is kind of like Maths in that it is almost impossible to get the same features in a smaller size, and at a similar price point. Assuming that you require multiple, simultaneous outputs, you could try Varigate 4+, but you only get 8 steps per channel vs 16 from the VB (it's only 12HP tho so fuck it). Multi-channel eurorack sequencers are big and expensive, so your options are limited.

Make sure you study this: https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/
Ah shit! I was totally thinking of the Varigate NOT the VB. :doh: Damn (can I edit the subject line, whadda dummy!)

Yeah I don't need gates, I just got a Beatstep Pro with the 8 drum gates out (they need another firmware update tho - they do bleed and you get ghost triggers) So, once it's all sorted I think it's going to be a great sequencing option for me (saves all that hp for more modules). I do wish the sequencers had more than 3 options for step order (fwd, bkw, walk) but it's got some other tricks (random, velocity) that make it a potentially decent sequencer for the price.

I'm mainly looking for a way to fill most of those cv ins on the BIA and the 2 on the Transient Plus. Between those 2 modules I can almost fulfill my drum needs but alas, I've been drooling over the VPME.DE Quad Drum - another hefty space eater! Don't think I've ever heard anyone doing electronic music say "gee, I think I have too many drums."

Another NE Mimetic isn't a bad idea, but I agree that the Malekko stuff, VB and VG8, are kinda like Maths in the sense that yeah, there are some other options but for what you get it's hard to beat. Like I said, I thought I'd just throw this out there to see if I missed something. But I've not seen too many modules that let you set the exact voltage at the exact moment that you need it to. Seems odd to me cause that function would seem (to me at least) to be a super useful, valuable tool that just about everyone could make use of. Something like: at exactly x amount of clock pulses go to 3.2v or after 23.2 seconds go from 3.2v down to 2.7v - isn't that pretty much what we're trying to achieve every day of the week? :despair:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by autopoiesis » Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am

you should take a look at what the Tetrapad + Tête can do in Voltages mode, especially if you're interested in precision of your voltage output levels. it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.

User avatar
bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by bedhed3000 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 am

GregIcky wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm
Something like: at exactly x amount of clock pulses go to 3.2v or after 23.2 seconds go from 3.2v down to 2.7v - isn't that pretty much what we're trying to achieve every day of the week? :despair:
If I was concerned about setting precise voltages at precise moments, I'd look into something like Silent Way combined with a DC-Coupled audio interface. I don't know much about Tetrapad, and I might be mistaken, but using a computer seems like the easiest, most precise tool for a workflow like that.

I am not personally concerned with that level of precision, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the output that results from it :sb:

EDIT: I just watched this Tetrapad tutorial vid: youtube.com/watch?v=O1H4ewX7jZc - and yeah, that is dope.

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am
you should take a look at what the Tetrapad + Tête can do in Voltages mode, especially if you're interested in precision of your voltage output levels. it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.
Hey cool, I'll have to check that out. I love the clean look of intellijel and am intrigued but the their joystick module as well. I'm starting to really appreciate really deep complex modules that provide multiple uses. Really cool to see how they can serve different functions and lead to surprising results. Like the fact that the joystick can record cv and play it back and also work as a vca - seems like that would lead to all kinda fun experimentation.

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Thu May 21, 2020 2:52 pm

bedhed3000 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 am
GregIcky wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm
Something like: at exactly x amount of clock pulses go to 3.2v or after 23.2 seconds go from 3.2v down to 2.7v - isn't that pretty much what we're trying to achieve every day of the week? :despair:
If I was concerned about setting precise voltages at precise moments, I'd look into something like Silent Way combined with a DC-Coupled audio interface. I don't know much about Tetrapad, and I might be mistaken, but using a computer seems like the easiest, most precise tool for a workflow like that.

I am not personally concerned with that level of precision, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the output that results from it :sb:

EDIT: I just watched this Tetrapad tutorial vid: youtube.com/watch?v=O1H4ewX7jZc - and yeah, that is dope.
Yeah, nothing beats a computer for precision and sequencing. My initial plan was to just get a few modules and connect the rack to my DAW. But now I'm getting more into my rack as being an actual playable/configurable instrument that I can run as a song machine. As I expand one day I could see running a 8 channels of euro straight to an interface all on separate tracks (with tube pres on each channel).

Zadar lets you dial in the amount of voltage it's sending out, but I agree it's more important what the final sound (or modification of it) result is in the end.

I'm really just looking for something to pair with my BIA and FR Trans+ Between the 2 of them there are like 10 cv inputs for modulation and to really open them up and get them to play nice I would like to be able to get the exact sound that I want on the exact beat that I want. (you know, something simple like a 128 step sequencer in 10hp with 2 gate and 14 cv outs) :omg:

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am
it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.
I'm not sure why @doudoroff didn't include that Gatestorm either (maybe he'd enlighten us) in that comparison, unless I just missed it?? I know he has (or had) one cause I read some of his posts about it.

uebl
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by uebl » Thu May 21, 2020 5:18 pm

I always considered the ER-101 to be a super-powerful voltage block. It's twice as expensive, tho, but it's also sooo much more precise. On the other hand, it's not as immediate, at least not right from the start.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm
Location: LA

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I really like the Nerdseq. Expensive but you have 12 CV outs (or up to 76 with the CV expanders). You can even save configurations of CV levels to load every step so you can basically have presets. It's seriously fun. I wouldn't use any other complex sequencer at this point.

User avatar
scragz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by scragz » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am
it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.
I'm not sure why @doudoroff didn't include that Gatestorm either (maybe he'd enlighten us) in that comparison, unless I just missed it?? I know he has (or had) one cause I read some of his posts about it.
I was gonna say because the Gatestorm is too ugly to use effectively but the Nerdseq is there.

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

scragz wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm
GregIcky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am
it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.
I'm not sure why @doudoroff didn't include that Gatestorm either (maybe he'd enlighten us) in that comparison, unless I just missed it?? I know he has (or had) one cause I read some of his posts about it.
I was gonna say because the Gatestorm is too ugly to use effectively but the Nerdseq is there.
Ha! They are both ugly - kinda like inbred cousins. I’m intrigued by the GS cause SSF had a hand in it but the workflow looks weird. The routing looks insane with the logic lanes but I’ve read good things about it.

Just watched that tetra and tete vid. Every time I see those Intellijel vids with their slick cases and clinically clean designs the ocd’er in me goes :woah:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by Arneb » Thu May 21, 2020 6:47 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 am
it's not included in https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ but it ought to be.
I'm not sure why @doudoroff didn't include that Gatestorm either (maybe he'd enlighten us) in that comparison, unless I just missed it?? I know he has (or had) one cause I read some of his posts about it.
Because it's a pitch-and-gate sequencer comparison and Gatestorm doesn't have CV outs?

Edit: As for the Tetrapad+Tête, I think it's the opposite, it doesn't have gate outs?

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by autopoiesis » Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm

tete has various kinds of gate outputs.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by zerodivide » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

what's amazing about the voltage block is that unlike varigate, you can 'jam out' your modulations. A lot of times I don't have patience to program the modulation value per step. Voltage Block is constantly recording your fader movements. Often I'm just randomly jamming out the faders till something cool happens. Then I can edit any step that sounds off. Its even great for generating imprecise melodic ideas to kick-start inspiration
Doubt any other module gives you 8 channels of this much power. Only negative is the size but really if you want hands-on, you can't really shrink it

User avatar
ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by ziggomatic » Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm

as others have mentioned, Tetrapad/Tete combo is outstanding and massively flexible

User avatar
daphnid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by daphnid » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 am

ziggomatic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm
as others have mentioned, Tetrapad/Tete combo is outstanding and massively flexible
Reallllly wanted to get that combo but VB was smaller and half the price (and slightly less cryptic to me)

GregIcky
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Voltage Block Alternative

Post by GregIcky » Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm

daphnid wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 am
ziggomatic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm
as others have mentioned, Tetrapad/Tete combo is outstanding and massively flexible
Reallllly wanted to get that combo but VB was smaller and half the price (and slightly less cryptic to me)
Have to agree, VB looks pretty straightforward (aside from key combos and hidden features) and semi utilitarian while Tete and Tetra look experimental yet powerful.

This is why people have 120u x’s 208hp wall synths. Cause there’s just too many fun things to experiment with. :yay:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”