NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Andy137 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Saw some videos with programming notes and got the impression they both are not the quickiest sequencers (not Metropolis) but very deep and versatile. Did you use one of them or better both to compare which is quicker for live improvisation (not presets)?..

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm

With a midi controller (especially a launchpad pro because it has other integrated features) the Nerdseq can be perfect for live improv.

Watch this video. I program some gate patterns and program some melodies all on the fly.

You can do the melodic stuff with any midi keyboard but the launchpad can also start/stop/change patterns, mute channels etc.

I demonstrate most of their stuff In this video and show how easy it is to fly around on it, creating in real time.

You can also use the cv ins instead of midi to record if you prefer.


User avatar
megarat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by megarat » Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 am

I agree with the above. I have both a NerdSEQ and an ER-101/102, and while I prefer the experience of using the ER-101/102, and I regard it as my rack's flagship sequencer, I regard the NerdSEQ as all-together excellent and hands-down better than the ER-101/102 for live improv.

While the ER-102's "parts" feature gets it close to the NerdSEQ in spirit, in actual practice I find it to be no contest.

Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Andy137 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
With a midi controller (especially a launchpad pro because it has other integrated features) the Nerdseq can be perfect for live improv.

Watch this video. I program some gate patterns and program some melodies all on the fly.

You can do the melodic stuff with any midi keyboard but the launchpad can also start/stop/change patterns, mute channels etc.

I demonstrate most of their stuff In this video and show how easy it is to fly around on it, creating in real time.

You can also use the cv ins instead of midi to record if you prefer.


So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?

User avatar
hirnlego
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by hirnlego » Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
With a midi controller (especially a launchpad pro because it has other integrated features) the Nerdseq can be perfect for live improv.

Watch this video. I program some gate patterns and program some melodies all on the fly.

You can do the melodic stuff with any midi keyboard but the launchpad can also start/stop/change patterns, mute channels etc.

I demonstrate most of their stuff In this video and show how easy it is to fly around on it, creating in real time.

You can also use the cv ins instead of midi to record if you prefer.

Really really cool performance :eek: :yay:

I see that in your setup you also have Planar2 and Tetrapad + Tete, and a 301.

At the moment in my 7u performance case I have the NerdSeq and was thinking about getting the 301 and some controller modules, mainly for easily inputting notes and CVs in the NS and controlling units in the 301, but also for live improvisation.
In fact, I was thinking about that same exact Intellijel's triad, as I prefer not to use external gear.

The quick thread-hijacking questions are: what is your experience with those three modules in a rack with NerdSeq and the 301? How do you prefer to use them? Do you have any other suggestion in the matter of controlling these two modules, apart getting a Launchpad?

advrsry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am
Location: Modular Grid

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by advrsry » Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 am

I really feel 101/102 is very usable live, however it requires quite a bit of practice. NerdSEQ probably has way more affordances for this so probably more immediately useful.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am

Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am
So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?
You need the midi expander to use midi keyboards or launchpads, but you can live record on the fly into a pattern using the cv inputs too as another option. Personally I prefer using a midi keyboard or launchpad for this though.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 am

hirnlego wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 am

Really really cool performance :eek: :yay:

I see that in your setup you also have Planar2 and Tetrapad + Tete, and a 301.

At the moment in my 7u performance case I have the NerdSeq and was thinking about getting the 301 and some controller modules, mainly for easily inputting notes and CVs in the NS and controlling units in the 301, but also for live improvisation.
In fact, I was thinking about that same exact Intellijel's triad, as I prefer not to use external gear.

The quick thread-hijacking questions are: what is your experience with those three modules in a rack with NerdSeq and the 301? How do you prefer to use them? Do you have any other suggestion in the matter of controlling these two modules, apart getting a Launchpad?
Thanks!

As for a controller controlling the Nerdseq from within the modular, I don’t really find the need to, I like the interface of the Nerdseq itself and navigate it live all the time. Nerdseq is a vey deep sequencer and has lots of uses of the CV inputs that I just personally havnt explored yet other than recording (which I’ve used to record patterns from Mutable Marbles that I liked so that I could save them for later/arrange them!).

Nerdseq pairs really will with the er301. In fact, my Nerdseq is usually used specifically tied the the er301 sequencing it. It’s and extremely powerful combo, you you easily play an entire set using only those two modules.
There’s an i2c expander coming for the Nerdseq that will let you sequence the er301 directly using all its channels with no patch cables, just a rear jumper!

My tetrapad and planar are great controllers. I’m sure they’d be great with it, but I don’t typically use them with the er301 or Nerdseq, I use them more for controlling all my other modules, animating other aspects of a larger patch that I want hands on control of.

For hands on control of the er301 I use Sweet Sixteen (modular and expanded version of the 16n faderbank).
This also uses i2c and can send 16 control faders to the er301 without using a single patch cable, just rear jumper. You can also use its cv inputs and get 16 additional cv inputs for the er301, send over the i2c! Sweet sixteen is like the official, unofficial er301 expander. Highly recommend.
6AACCA6B-BA00-4803-B7FF-BDA8A0222ABD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
hirnlego
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by hirnlego » Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 am
As for a controller controlling the Nerdseq from within the modular, I don’t really find the need to, I like the interface of the Nerdseq itself and navigate it live all the time. Nerdseq is a vey deep sequencer and has lots of uses of the CV inputs that I just personally havnt explored yet other than recording (which I’ve used to record patterns from Mutable Marbles that I liked so that I could save them for later/arrange them!).

Nerdseq pairs really will with the er301. In fact, my Nerdseq is usually used specifically tied the the er301 sequencing it. It’s and extremely powerful combo, you you easily play an entire set using only those two modules.
There’s an i2c expander coming for the Nerdseq that will let you sequence the er301 directly using all its channels with no patch cables, just a rear jumper!

My tetrapad and planar are great controllers. I don’t typically use them with the er301 or Nerdseq, I use them more for controlling all my other modules, animating other aspects of a larger patch.

For hands on control of the er301 I use Sweet Sixteen (modular and expanded version of the 16n faderbank).
This also uses i2c and can send 16 control faders to the er301 without using a single patch cable, just rear jumper. You can also use its cv inputs and get 16 additional cv inputs for the er301, send over the i2c! Sweet sixteen is like the official, unofficial er301 expander. Highly recommend.
I eyed Sweet Sixteen for exactly that reason, but as long as I'm missing the 301 I don't think it makes sense to have it in my rack.

Thanks a lot!

Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Andy137 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am
So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?
You need the midi expander to use midi keyboards or launchpads, but you can live record on the fly into a pattern using the cv inputs too as another option. Personally I prefer using a midi keyboard or launchpad for this though.
Ok, if I understand, if I play midi from any midi device with 5 din sync , I need Nerdseq MIDI expander or Hexinverter Mutant Brain. If i play CV from Behringer Crave or Beatstep Pro, I can do it with 4 CV ins, right?

User avatar
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: chicago

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Hi5 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am

Damn, maybe I need the Nerdseq
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am

Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am
So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?
You need the midi expander to use midi keyboards or launchpads, but you can live record on the fly into a pattern using the cv inputs too as another option. Personally I prefer using a midi keyboard or launchpad for this though.
Ok, if I understand, if I play midi from any midi device with 5 din sync , I need Nerdseq MIDI expander or Hexinverter Mutant Brain. If i play CV from Behringer Crave or Beatstep Pro, I can do it with 4 CV ins, right?
yes but i havnt used the cv ins as much as i have midi. one thing that's different, and why i prefer midi (expander) instead of the cv ins, is that when your not recording, it automatically just outputs the live midi to cv to the nerds outputs. so that you can practice and hear what your doing before you hit record and then just record it, without having to go into the menu to change any settings. it seems that when you use the cv inputs, you need to go into the menu any time you want to switch from passing the live cv at the inputs to the nerds outputs to setting them to record. when set to record it don't seem to pass the cv to the outputs live unless your actively recording, so its a lot of going back and fourth in the menu (unless im missing something/doing something wrong?). i mentioned this as a feature request to automatically make the switch so it behaves more like when using midi, not sure if it can do this yet or is planned, need to dig back into it... the nerdseq gets so many feature adds its hard to keep up sometimes!

Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Andy137 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:57 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am
So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?
You need the midi expander to use midi keyboards or launchpads, but you can live record on the fly into a pattern using the cv inputs too as another option. Personally I prefer using a midi keyboard or launchpad for this though.
Ok, if I understand, if I play midi from any midi device with 5 din sync , I need Nerdseq MIDI expander or Hexinverter Mutant Brain. If i play CV from Behringer Crave or Beatstep Pro, I can do it with 4 CV ins, right?
yes but i havnt used the cv ins as much as i have midi. one thing that's different, and why i prefer midi (expander) instead of the cv ins, is that when your not recording, it automatically just outputs the live midi to cv to the nerds outputs. so that you can practice and hear what your doing before you hit record and then just record it, without having to go into the menu to change any settings. it seems that when you use the cv inputs, you need to go into the menu any time you want to switch from passing the live cv at the inputs to the nerds outputs to setting them to record. when set to record it don't seem to pass the cv to the outputs live unless your actively recording, so its a lot of going back and fourth in the menu (unless im missing something/doing something wrong?). i mentioned this as a feature request to automatically make the switch so it behaves more like when using midi, not sure if it can do this yet or is planned, need to dig back into it... the nerdseq gets so many feature adds its hard to keep up sometimes!
Thank you. Clear explanation

User avatar
hirnlego
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by hirnlego » Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
Andy137 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:52 am
So I can do this without MIDI expander for Nerdseq?
You need the midi expander to use midi keyboards or launchpads, but you can live record on the fly into a pattern using the cv inputs too as another option. Personally I prefer using a midi keyboard or launchpad for this though.
Ok, if I understand, if I play midi from any midi device with 5 din sync , I need Nerdseq MIDI expander or Hexinverter Mutant Brain. If i play CV from Behringer Crave or Beatstep Pro, I can do it with 4 CV ins, right?
yes but i havnt used the cv ins as much as i have midi. one thing that's different, and why i prefer midi (expander) instead of the cv ins, is that when your not recording, it automatically just outputs the live midi to cv to the nerds outputs. so that you can practice and hear what your doing before you hit record and then just record it, without having to go into the menu to change any settings. it seems that when you use the cv inputs, you need to go into the menu any time you want to switch from passing the live cv at the inputs to the nerds outputs to setting them to record. when set to record it don't seem to pass the cv to the outputs live unless your actively recording, so its a lot of going back and fourth in the menu (unless im missing something/doing something wrong?). i mentioned this as a feature request to automatically make the switch so it behaves more like when using midi, not sure if it can do this yet or is planned, need to dig back into it... the nerdseq gets so many feature adds its hard to keep up sometimes!
Yes, it bugs me as well. Happy to know that midi allows it and also that you already submitted the feature request :tu:

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm

One simple but useful thing I did recently with the Nerdseq is make an audible click track in my ‘default’ project with one of the sample tracks using a wood block sample (since I don’t really use the sample tracks much anyways). This is really useful for recording patterns, especially the first couple ones before you have anything else going, to make sure your playing time with the clock! Also I imagine it could be useful for live, having the click only in the your headphones for certain applications (I can do this with ‘cue’ and my wmd performance mixer). Simple thing, but incredibly useful to have an audible click track on a sequencer that live records.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by 22tape » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Very nice stuff, Brandon! :yay:

User avatar
hirnlego
Common Wiggler
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by hirnlego » Fri May 22, 2020 12:50 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm
One simple but useful thing I did recently with the Nerdseq is make an audible click track in my ‘default’ project with one of the sample tracks using a wood block sample (since I don’t really use the sample tracks much anyways). This is really useful for recording patterns, especially the first couple ones before you have anything else going, to make sure your playing time with the clock! Also I imagine it could be useful for live, having the click only in the your headphones for certain applications (I can do this with ‘cue’ and my wmd performance mixer). Simple thing, but incredibly useful to have an audible click track on a sequencer that live records.
Nice trick, thanks for sharing!

User avatar
Catflap
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by Catflap » Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm
(since I don’t really use the sample tracks much anyways).
I use one of my sample tracks exclusively for STSP commands. Keeps the arrangement nice and clean and and keeps all the Island jumping info in one place rather than getting lost in all of the other patterns of the other tracks.

bgribble
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:36 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by bgribble » Fri May 22, 2020 6:00 am

(since I don’t really use the sample tracks much anyways)
You can load a sample of a one-shot pulse and use those sample tracks as extra trigger-only sequencer tracks for percussion :)

I don’t have a lot to add to the ER-101/102 vs Nerdseq comparison since I just have the Nerdseq but I would say its strength is in improvising arrangements.

One thing I took a while to get used to but now really like is the way pattern changes on a track are usually synced to bars, so you can “queue up” several changes that will happen together a few seconds later. This makes it easier to jump back over to another controller to coordinate a change in other parts of the patch.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NerdSeq vs ER-101 for live improvisation

Post by brandonlogic » Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 am

bgribble wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:00 am
(since I don’t really use the sample tracks much anyways)
You can load a sample of a one-shot pulse and use those sample tracks as extra trigger-only sequencer tracks for percussion :)
Yes I’ve done this before, cool trick, but to me having a click track there is very useful though.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”