Max module depth

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

zachheine
Learning to Wiggle

Max module depth

Post by zachheine » Wed May 20, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm holding a Doepfer A-198 and measured ~3.6 inches [~92mm] from the front of the faceplate to the back edge of the PCB. Is there any standard for the max depth of modules, and if not does anyone know of any that are deeper than the Doepfer module I measured? What about for so-called "skiff friendly" modules?

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Max module depth

Post by authorless » Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm

There is no standard for depth. Skiffs are usually very shallow and intended to play flat. There is also no standard skiff depth. "Skiff friendly" just means the module is not very deep. There are a few older modules that are really deep, I don't know exact measurements, though.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Thu May 21, 2020 4:58 am

the deepest I've seen use Eurocard sized boards (160mm deep) mounted perpendicularly to the panel

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu May 21, 2020 5:12 am

There are deeper modules. The Hinton Pitchmaster is 180mm or instance.
BF95CBCA-6F66-48F7-B06D-E88480F77067.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 am

lisa wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:12 am
There are deeper modules. The Hinton Pitchmaster is 180mm for instance.
I was talking about just the board. the board is 160mm, but yeah with some of them you need more depth for the power connection

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu May 21, 2020 5:19 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 am
lisa wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:12 am
There are deeper modules. The Hinton Pitchmaster is 180mm for instance.
I was talking about just the board. the board is 160mm, but yeah with some of them you need more depth for the power connection
True! I was actually giving an answer to the OP, not to your post. 🙂
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu May 21, 2020 5:31 am

Doepfer modules fit within a 100mm depth. Roughly 4 inches. Back when Dieter created Eurorack, perpendicular PCBs were the norm, used with TH parts. As SMD use increased, parallel PCB construction began to flourish and skiffs pushed for shallower modules overall. 60mm, or about 2-1/2" seems to be about the maximum skiff depth, and less is common.

Formats like Hinton -which does not claim to be Eurorack- and Frac do not subscribe to fitting a prescribed minimum depth, and therefore have some deep modules. Hinton folows the Eurocard format, and that could allow modules up to 220mm deep. Blacet with perpendicular PCBs can be more than 150mm. About 6" deep. Both Hinton and Blacet also have modules with parallel PCBs and shallower depths.

Older SDIY modules built with perpendicular PCBs in the Euro format may still be very deep. Not usually over 6 inches, and often less than 4. Hardly any modules now being designed will exceed Doepfers 100mm, and most will be substantially less.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 am

KSS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:31 am
Hinton folows the Eurocard format, and that could allow modules up to 220mm deep.
There is no limit on depth or height in Eurocard. There are standard form factors, a single (3U) Eurocard is 100 x 160mm and other depths are 80mm, 100mm, 220mm (extended) and 280mm (hyper-extended), but that is only relevant if the card is mating with a backplane connector mounting in standard rail positions. If you are merely hanging off the front panel there is no limit, but card guide support should be considered.

There are also double, triple and quad heights, each one gains another 33.35mm as you loose a pair of front rails. Actually 6U double height allows better use of the panel area and Eurocard frames can have dividers for 3U and 6U (or more) sections.

Working within a widely used international standard means that there are parts readily available so you don't have to reinvent the wheel, which is why Doepfer choose the format in the first place. The Americanisation of Eurorack has resulted in more expensive square wheels.
Hardly any modules now being designed will exceed Doepfers 100mm, and most will be substantially less.
This approach ends up self defeating because then the only way to expand to accommodate more circuitry is sideways. You either have to split functionality between two modules which means more jacks or double stack pcbs with more interconnections. It's like the classic Elevator Conundrum.

I certainly won't be making any modules less than 100mm and most I have planned will be 160mm. It's about the right ratio between circuitry and panel size for what I want to do.

Designing a case down to the modules you happen to have now can be shortsighted and an expensive mistake. One day a module will come out that you really, really want and then you will have to go without or buy a new case.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 am

The deepest modules I own are a pair of TipTop Z5000 efx modules that have a huge potted module on them that sticks way off the PCB in back. Only for cases, It is a tight fit in my Doepfer P6 chassis and can't be over where the supply is. Almost all the other modules I own are ones with parallel to the front panel PCBs that are stacked and none more than three high.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Ladik L-010... whew. Sounds incredible. Mounts only at the end spots of cases I have (Doepfer LC for example). Canot mount in front of a buss board.

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=89
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Eurorack Modules”