TipTop Zeus mix and match (800/1200ma) Studio Bus

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

n82558
Common Wiggler

TipTop Zeus mix and match (800/1200ma) Studio Bus

Post by n82558 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:20 am

Hello, I have a case that i got second hand with tip top zeus power installed. These are the older studio buses that supply 1200ma. According to modular grid, I'm going to be pulling 2566ma on the +12v rail so it seems that my 2400ma won't be enough. This means replacing one of the two passive boards in my case with another active board, but unfortunately the 1200ma boards don't seem to be available any longer. Does anyone know if the new 800ma version and the older 1200ma versions are compatible? I've got 4amps on my PSU so I've got room to work with there, just want to make sure I'm not going to fry something by mixing and matching.

Also, should I be worried about pulling that extra 166ma from the busboards in the first place? I'm assuming these things have some headroom but I'd like to be safe.

Thanks!

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: TipTop Zeus mix and match (800/1200ma) Studio Bus

Post by Parnelli » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 am

I run 6 TT Zeus Studio Bus boards, the (larger) Cincon power brick they sell to run them will run 3 SB cards, it's like a little over 4 amps per brick I think. There are lesser power bricks that only run one card, so the first thing to know is how much your power supply is putting out, if you have the big one you can run three cards on it. I've been running 6 boards with 2 bricks and no problems for the better part of a year now. All my boards are the 1200ma models.

Don't assume headroom either or you will be disappointed, plan your headroom by running your boards at less than max output. I try to never load a board more than say 95% or so, and even loaded at that rate the Cincon supplies run pretty warm, I don't push them.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 am

You can add the new Studio Zeus as long as you also use our 15VDC 4.6A Cincon power supply for all 3 boards. The original Zeus external PSU will not work with the Studio Zeus.

Alternatively, you can use the old adapter with the original Zeus boards and add the new Studio Zeus and separate Cincon 4.6A PSU which will give you room to expand in the future.

The Studio Zeus manual has several connection diagrams to help with wiring:

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/Tipt ... zeussb.pdf
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 am

That's why I chose them, room to expand in the future. I grew a board or two at a time over a couple of years.

n82558
Common Wiggler

Post by n82558 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 pm

continuum wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 am
You can add the new Studio Zeus as long as you also use our 15VDC 4.6A Cincon power supply for all 3 boards. The original Zeus external PSU will not work with the Studio Zeus.

Alternatively, you can use the old adapter with the original Zeus boards and add the new Studio Zeus and separate Cincon 4.6A PSU which will give you room to expand in the future.

The Studio Zeus manual has several connection diagrams to help with wiring:

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/Tipt ... zeussb.pdf
Thank you for your reply (and everyone else as well)!

I've ordered a new Studio Zeus and the Cincon PSU. I have one other question; are the mounting holes the same? Or should I expect to drill new holes when I switch from the old passive bus to the new Studio Zeus

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am

Studio board is larger than the passive one so you will need some new mounting holes.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”