Doepfer or different alternative?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Doepfer or different alternative?

Post by mnchrme » Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently finalized my rack (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1081896) for now and have some leftover modules which will get their own case soon (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1211349) and as that one will be partially empty I was looking into cheap module options which would prove useful for my use and expand upon what I already have. I stumbled across Doepfer and Behringer and even though both options feel/seem tempting, I will probably go with Doepfer at first as they have very nice price point and I could see myself using some of their building blocks to achieve even more sonic fun. Are there any good options which I should not miss? Some Doepfer "no brainer" modules? Is there anything with similar function/price ratio as Doepfer which might be even better? I am using my rack mainly to process external sounds since I have an array of vintage studio gear... which describes into a lot of drum machines, analog synths, tapes, external processing and the list goes on. System usually is used as a central space station hub where I feed sounds into it and further shape/alter my sounds or just over process everything. Thank you! :guinness: :hail:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Doepfer or different alternative?

Post by Arneb » Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm

mnchrme wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Is there anything with similar function/price ratio as Doepfer which might be even better?
I don't think that "even better" is the right way to think about this. Doepfer is definitely good at what they're doing, the question is whether their style - mostly bread-and-butter modules, no-nonsense design, rather HP-ignorant ergonomics - is what you like. Not sure whether Doepfer's stuff is particularly apt at processing outside sources though. Their filters (A-10x, A-12x) are definitely worth a look, as is the A-196.

As for other cheap and competent makers, well, there's Ladik, he's even in your country.

As for how to design such a rack... I'm seeing a bunch of 909-style drum modules, how do you plan to sequence those, from inside or outside the rack?
Last edited by Arneb on Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm

I recommend giving Ladik a look. He makes some great cheap utility modules in the spirit of Doepfer.

(EDIT: I see that @Arneb beat me to it.)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm

My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Post by mnchrme » Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Thank you all for lovely replies! I will look into that thread and also will give Ladik a look which I never did to this day. He is close. Might give him a call. The way I see it I don't need to be as HP efficient in the second rack as that should be just a build-up upon current setup. Bread and butter will do nicely. Basic, non-esoteric modules might be a nice change. From what I see I am missing a good waveshaper for instance and maybe some function/utility modules which could really open what I already have in my main rack. Once 2x Ochd arrives I intend to start using them with a lot of multiples and get as many LFO's out of them as I can. I would like to get into huge amount of LFO territory with them and then just control everything in my system through it along with Maths and Cold Mac in the chain. As for sequencing for 808/909 modules I have Beatstep Pro for gates mainly + Cirklon for CV. Also got Keystep and Keystep Pro for some extra pitch sequencing etc. and couple semi-modulars.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 pm

If you’re into weird, the Doepfer A196 Pll is cool. Their a149-1 random is pretty Buchla-esqu at a fraction of the price of the more expensive options in Eurorack. Many good filters in Doepferland, too. For a tame wave folder I’ve always thought the A137-1 sounds good. It’s gotten some criticism around here, though.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri May 22, 2020 5:35 am

if you're getting 2 ochds - I'd look into getting a matrix mixer (doepfer or ai for instance) - that way you can combine the lfos to get some variations - or maybe the 4ms VCAMatrix

mutable kinks is very good value for adding variation to modulation sources

another quad cascading vca couldn't hurt either - again use for modulation
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Post by mnchrme » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 am

Good point. The A149-1 looks great for what it offers to the table. I have Wogglebug MK2 and fell in love with that sort of thing and usually get myself to build patches around it which is really fun. Works great with all sorts of filters and when you further modulate everything it yields interesting results. With 2x Ochd and some extra modulation I think Doepfer A-136 would be a good choice to further shape its LFO's into something more complex while also using the CV input on them to further modulate everything and get into something more complex modulation wise. 4ms VCAMatrix or Doepfer A-138M are great contenders as well. I will check Kinks + Quad Cascading VCA as well. :tu: :party:

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am

Arneb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm

I don't think that "even better" is the right way to think about this. Doepfer is definitely good at what they're doing, the question is whether their style - mostly bread-and-butter modules, no-nonsense design, rather HP-ignorant ergonomics - is what you like.
I have to take issue with the term "HP-ignorant ergonomics". It implies that Doepfer don't think about size, and that their modules waste space. I don't think that's the case at all, and if Doepfer are HP-ignorant then what does that make Verbos Electronics, Random Source Serge, etc?

Small is not necessarily good and over the years I've tended to get rid of what some call "hp efficient" modules, having got fed up with their tiny pot shafts, microscopic buttons, cramped jack sockets, and generally awful ergonomics.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 pm

windchill wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am
I have to take issue with the term "HP-ignorant ergonomics". It implies that Doepfer don't think about size, and that their modules waste space. I don't think that's the case at all, and if Doepfer are HP-ignorant then what does that make Verbos Electronics, Random Source Serge, etc?
I guess I just drew a blank on wording. What I meant to say is that Doepfer tends to fall on the large end of the ergonomics vs HP tradeoff. I agree that this is not inherently bad, different users have different views on ergonomics and that's fine.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 pm

Arneb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 pm
windchill wrote:
I guess I just drew a blank on wording. What I meant to say is that Doepfer tends to fall on the large end of the ergonomics vs HP tradeoff. I agree that this is not inherently bad, different users have different views on ergonomics and that's fine.
Not recently though, Doepfer is coming out with some very dense modules. And mostly bread and butter modules is not an accurate characterization either. There is large number of unique modules in the 150 module range no other maker offers.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 22, 2020 11:44 pm

Arneb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 pm
windchill wrote:
Their modules are still pretty small when you compare larger modular formats. Even the largest of doepfer modules are tiny compared to what you see on 5U. In fact, before eurorack became as popular as it is today, people derided doepfer for being too small and cramped!

I have tiny hands so smaller modules are largely okay for me, but I would rather see manufacturers make larger modules since they make for a much more comfortable patching experience.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”