DAWless Eurorack Recording -- how do you do it, recorder recommendations?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

DAWless Eurorack Recording -- how do you do it, recorder recommendations?

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm

Apologies if there's a better subforum for this, but I'm specifically wanting to record euro levels. Coming from a music production background, I've learned to hate the computer and want to steer clear. For the last year I've had the privilege of using a Zoom L-12, which has been great, but most of the time I find I need to use the input pads. The owner of this board is about to take it back, so I've got to replace it... but nothing else out there with built in recorders seem to have pads. I like a lot of the Tascam designs, but yeah, no pads. I honestly do not want to spend $600 to get myself an L-12 because A. $600 is just a bit too much,and B. the L-12 is overkill. I can probably spend up to $500 in a pinch from Sweetwater, as I've got a card with them. But, you know, I haven't had my hands on any of this stuff. Maybe some of you are using them and don't need pads?

Could the solution here be as simple as placing two attenuators after my left and right outs from the modular? I mean, most of the time my output is coming from a Soundstage, so I've got that output trim already, but I do tend to grab three or four other signals from earlier in the chain and go straight into the mixer. Would really love to hear how all of you DAWless wigglers are conducting your business.
:party:

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Re: DAWless Eurorack Recording -- how do you do it, recorder recommendations?

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm

I ain't "DAWless" but, regardless, I use some homemade passive attenuators to bring the level down before going into my audio device. I can't see me doing anything different if I was going into my Fostex.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Attenuation works. You can also check the actual input levels that the converters will take. I don't have to pad/attenuate most of the stuff going to my Clarett because it has a really high input level (something like +25dbU).

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 pm

I use the Zoom L12.

Also probably over your budget but the er301 just got an update, it can now do 12 channel multitrack recording!

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm

i use a roland sp-404sx, sounds like garbage , i love it

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kohlhofer » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

I have been using a focus rite with my iPad and AUM for years. Occasionally the iPhone too.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 pm

I guess it'd be kind of dumb to not just use attenuators, heh. Wouldn't mind having a few more Zlob Attenumixers around. But you never know what kind of interesting solutions might be out there.

The one I've got my eye on is the TASCAM DP-32SD right now, as Sweetwater has it $100 off. It's honestly a lot more complex than I want it to be, but I think that's going to be universal. It looks like you can trim and loop audio, which would come in handy with some guitar experimentation I've been doing where I record a bunch of single notes ringing out and then stack them into complex chords.

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:21 am

Before upgrading to a Zoom L-20, I was using a Zoom H5 as a simple, 2-track recorder.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 am

For what it’s worth, a close friend of mine is very happy with his TASCAM DP-24SD, which he found on sale for $399. It seems pretty easy to use.

He typically runs eight direct line outs from his Pragas to that unit to record his modular.

nomenklature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nomenklature » Fri May 22, 2020 6:05 pm

I often plug eurorack audio directly into my Zoom H6 -- with the dual XLR/TRS combo input add-on, that gives me 6 tracks of audio recording. Haven't had a problem with the levels.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Because I have no patience whatsoever I just said "eff" it and bought the TASCAM DP-32SD. All I had to do to afford it was take about four or five days of the month and disallow energy drinks / cold brew. I won't be able to move all day, but what's four days in the grand scheme of the week?

That said, I'm enjoying hearing everyone's methodology and hope this thread keeps going.

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 pm

I use a motu ultralite as standalone as audio mixer and set my my 6 vcas outputs of my modular on the utralite going out to a sound devices mix-pre6 recorder

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Modular —> mixer —> Tascam DR-40
Sounds good to my ears

Thelefthandpath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thelefthandpath » Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 am

Got 2 system I use for live and studio, Erica synths techno system & another Erica system I did myself in their portable case. I just use their Links module in to my Tascam Model 24.

Just got the Pittsburgh VRL which also is pretty much just straight from the output module in to the mixer... am contemplating doing a complimentary case of some additional modulation, utilities & another Links module .

wm.wragg
Common Wiggler

Post by wm.wragg » Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 am

I use a Zoom H5 for doing my recordings, with the dual XLR/TRS add-on I get 4 inputs. I go straight in from my modular with a fully hot signal. I use the pads in the Zoom H5, to help with levels. I asked Zoom if the H5 is fine with the Eurorack hot signals, and they said it will be fine, just add the pads to help manage levels.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 am

I use an RME UFX+ these days. The TotalMix stuff is awesome... you can record directly onto a USB drive with a thing they call Durec - pretty much as many inputs, outputs, as you want all without a computer. To me the flexibility, reliability, and portability make it such a keeper tool. And of course if you did have to go into the computer, everything is all the same. The other benefit with the RME stuff is that you can configure it for live use - it has FPGA onboard to handle basic utility things like limiters but you can also add reverbs, compressors, EQ and then store then as presets which you can also load from just the HW. This is all standalone. No computer required. I would still use a computer, however, to edit totalmix settings but I imagine you'd only have to do that a few times once you get your setup configured.

We did recently try to go full hardware with an analogue mixer (because we didn't realise you could control TotalMix with MIDI until just recently) but you quickly find that with sth like TotalMix, presets, and MIDI control over TotalMix, you are into lots less space and much more flexibility, which I find very useful for things like recording and live use. I have an LS-10 field recorder which is my back-up mains recorder, which is also routed to dedicated OPs via TotalMix. And keep in mind, the RME stuff is solid. I can't remember any time where it's failed me. I even smashed the UFX+'s screen and it still kept rolling. Even when using a computer, you can unplug it and the hardware will still stay rocking. You can even have back up presets which rout stuff direct to outputs incase a computer-based rig takes a shit. Tons of options!

In regards to levels, the RME can take modular levels no problem without any attenuation. I'm sure many interfaces can also take these levels directly but you'll have to check the manual.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Sat May 23, 2020 1:24 pm

either modular --> sound devices mixpre6 (4 or 6 inputs)
or modular --> mackie mixer --> sound devices mixpre6 if I want a bit more grit
It also helps that the MixPre series has awesome headphone amps - considerably better than those in any mixer or cheap(er) interface.
I'd rather have the highest quality capture and then later decide to destroy the audio than the opposite...

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

I like to send multiple subgroups and individual chains/modules to individual channels of an ADAT converter into a MOTU 828mk3 which acts like a mixer for general use but also allows me to record to separate tracks in Logic whenever something good together.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun May 24, 2020 5:40 pm

moremagic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm
Why does it sound like garbage?

I record to various tape options and some digital units. Live stereo mostly.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sun May 24, 2020 8:52 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:40 pm
moremagic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm
Why does it sound like garbage?

I record to various tape options and some digital units. Live stereo mostly.
garbage in, garbage out is the short version

also one of the knobs is busted and has a mind of its own, so sometimes the fx will go crazy. i aint replaced the machine cuz i got a lotta fun memories playing it with friends, not all of whom still breathin. maybe one day ill get it fixed, i got the parts somewhere

its a very fun machine to mangle samples or live audio or whatever, you can really startle people with it, but as far as using it as a recorder its, lemme just say unforgiving. but ive still gotten some things i like out of it, would be the long version

but i know how to use it so i still do :banana:

blakeq
Common Wiggler

Post by blakeq » Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 pm

There are a bunch of options for inexpensive 2 track recorders. Like the tascam dr40, zoom h4n, etc

Used with more inputs you could get something like a tascam dr60 or a tascam Dr 680.

You could also look for cheap used digital portastudios from zoom or tascam.

Some mixers also can record to an sd card. Something like the behringer xr12.

yhf
1-Post Wiggler

Post by yhf » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 pm
I guess it'd be kind of dumb to not just use attenuators, heh. Wouldn't mind having a few more Zlob Attenumixers around. But you never know what kind of interesting solutions might be out there.

The one I've got my eye on is the TASCAM DP-32SD right now, as Sweetwater has it $100 off. It's honestly a lot more complex than I want it to be, but I think that's going to be universal. It looks like you can trim and loop audio, which would come in handy with some guitar experimentation I've been doing where I record a bunch of single notes ringing out and then stack them into complex chords.
I have a Tascam DP-32SD and I record from my modular into the Tascams's inputs without any attenuation whatsoever. I don't know if that would work with any system and any output though.

About looping audio: You can do it, but it's not great for anything that relies on rhythm: The Tascam does not have a DAW-like "grid", you will have to do it by ear. So if you try and copy four bars of music, you will very likely copy something that comes close, but isn't exactly, four bars. If you then paste that bit of audio multiple times and have it play along with another track, with every repetition you would hear more that those two tracks are not in sync. It's great for "Music for Airports" style experiments though.

I wonder why Tascam doesn't make a portastudio that's basically the DP-32SD plus that grid thing plus midi. I read the term "dawless" so often that I'm under the impression that lots of folks would buy a unit like that.

By the way, hello and everything. It's my first post here on muffwiggler. :party:

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Modular into Mackie 1402 into Behringer Composer into Line6 Sonic Port into iPhone XS.
here hare here!

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:43 pm

yhf wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm
I have a Tascam DP-32SD and I record from my modular into the Tascams's inputs without any attenuation whatsoever. I don't know if that would work with any system and any output though.

About looping audio: You can do it, but it's not great for anything that relies on rhythm: The Tascam does not have a DAW-like "grid", you will have to do it by ear. So if you try and copy four bars of music, you will very likely copy something that comes close, but isn't exactly, four bars. If you then paste that bit of audio multiple times and have it play along with another track, with every repetition you would hear more that those two tracks are not in sync. It's great for "Music for Airports" style experiments though.

I wonder why Tascam doesn't make a portastudio that's basically the DP-32SD plus that grid thing plus midi. I read the term "dawless" so often that I'm under the impression that lots of folks would buy a unit like that.

By the way, hello and everything. It's my first post here on muffwiggler. :party:
Welcome to the world's best time-killer (besides YouTube and sleeping, anyway), and thanks for that post, found it really useful. I did bite the bullet on the unit regardless, but it helps to know what's on its way. It sounds like it does exactly what I want it to do, so that's cool. Not a fan of using my Phonogene to loop and record.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:30 pm

A Tascam 38. It is dumb and expensive so I mostly record into the computer.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Return to “Eurorack Modules”