cuircuit bent euroracks? is it digital still?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

zoogoo
Wiggling with Experience

cuircuit bent euroracks? is it digital still?

Post by zoogoo » Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm

I was looking for circuit bent eurorack modules, and didnt find much. So really i have 2 questions. Are there and cuircuit bent modules? Is cuircuit bending analog or digital? cause your using a digital toy or whatever to get the sound, but then your manipulating it by using actual potentiometers and sometimes resistors to bridge new pathways on the circuit board. Im confused.

any thought?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: cuircuit bent euroracks? is it digital still?

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Your understanding of digital and analog is a bit skewed. Digital modules still use pots and resistors, they also use processors which is the digital part.

Also, https://www.modulargrid.net/e/synthesis-technology-e950
THUMPR BC SC

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 am

Modules are basically prebent. We take parts originally destined for consumer goods (or military) and pervert them into circuits that make interesting sounds. It’s a philosophy I learned from Lowell Cross, David Tudor and Gordon Mumma.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 am

Pelsea wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 am
Modules are basically prebent. We take parts originally destined for consumer goods (or military) and pervert them into circuits that make interesting sounds. It’s a philosophy I learned from Lowell Cross, David Tudor and Gordon Mumma.
Yeah I would guess that the proliferation of eurorack has contributed to the fading of circuitbending's popularity (which seemed to peak mid 2000s). It was really just a fun way to get crazy sounds which is so easy to do now with turnkey gear.

Circuitbending is good for creating all kinds of aliasing and low resolution artifacts in digital audio gear and there are so many things that do that for you on purpose now. Like with most technology, popular hacks generally become advertised features at some point.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 am

zoogoo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm
I was looking for circuit bent eurorack modules, and didnt find much. So really i have 2 questions. Are there and cuircuit bent modules? Is cuircuit bending analog or digital? cause your using a digital toy or whatever to get the sound, but then your manipulating it by using actual potentiometers and sometimes resistors to bridge new pathways on the circuit board. Im confused.

any thought?
Hello. What they said. Plus, by name, there is this:

https://synthtech.com/eurorack/E950/

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 pm

zoogoo wrote:

any thought?
There are plenty of companies doing glitchy modules, if that is what you are after.

I don't really see a point in "circuit bending" a new module, because it means altering something that exists and is established and turning it into something new. I can see how a circuit bent Casio toy or a TR-505 could be interesting because it becomes a mix of something old that you might know and something which expands on it or makes it sound interesting.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Fri May 22, 2020 12:40 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 pm
I don't really see a point in "circuit bending" a new module
everybody is after sounds that nobody's ever heard
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm

I think "circuit bending" is dangerous.
The one time I tried it, the PC board cracked in half. :yay:
Hot dang, one thousandth post coming up.
Do I get a prize or something.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm

B0bcat wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:40 pm
bemushroomed wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 pm
I don't really see a point in "circuit bending" a new module
everybody is after sounds that nobody's ever heard
true, but plenty of ways to be creative and do that with modulars though. i can see it being something quite interesting for people who are not the least into modulars and they want e.g a glitchy 505 or something. with eurorack you can go beyond that x100 without circuit bending anything.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Fri May 22, 2020 1:42 pm

These folks make some pretty crazy sounding modules in a similar vein...
http://www.beast-tek.com/

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm

I think you don't see it as much because modules are pricey. Old toys and crumby guitar pedals are fine to circuit bend, but I wouldn't come near my Eurorack stuff unless it was already borked.

... 10 minutes from now someones going to post their circuit bent Cwejman ER-301 mashup.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri May 22, 2020 2:17 pm

ModusOp wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:42 pm
These folks make some pretty crazy sounding modules in a similar vein...
http://www.beast-tek.com/
yes... errorinstruments, Møffenzeef Mødular, Ieaskul F. Mobenthey... there are plenty.

htor
Common Wiggler

Post by htor » Fri May 22, 2020 2:43 pm

if you want to circuit bend something, do it to toy synths, not euro rack modules worth 100 euros each. just a thought that popped up in my head.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm

ADDAC have a power starvation module, which kind of puts it in circuit bending territory

Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Risc_Terilia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Doepfer a189 is great for these sorts of sounds

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm

If "circuit bending" means modifying modules for additional functionality, then sure, there are plenty of examples on both digital and analogue sides. Everything from introducing soft sync/lin FM to the doepfer A-110 to adding additional CV control to various parameters as seen in recent MI clones. Custom firmware could somewhat count here too as it's fairly commonplace with notable digital modules eg. Parasites for MI modules.

However, a lot of digital modules use stuff like ARM CPUs and as a result are more general purpose embedded computers than anything custom (some in fact are literally just fancy arduino/teensy/raspberry pi shields), along with the fact they run pretty complex firmware, so doing some stuff that you'd typically expect in circuit bending like overclocking might even brick or downright kill them.

It's also the fact that a lot of what you achieve with circuit bending can already be done by augmenting said module with other modules eg. bit modifiers, wavefolders etc.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Shledge wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
If "circuit bending" means modifying modules for additional functionality, then sure, there are plenty of examples on both digital and analogue sides. Everything from introducing soft sync/lin FM to the doepfer A-110 to adding additional CV control to various parameters as seen in recent MI clones. Custom firmware could somewhat count here too as it's fairly commonplace with notable digital modules eg. Parasites for MI modules.

I'd consider these more traditional mods, not so much in the spirit of circuit bending. I did a lot of circuit bending in my teens/early 20s and most of what was going on in the online circuit bending scene at the time was being done somewhat ignorantly, cracking the lid and poking around until something cool happened and then soldering a switch in etc. (Speak and Spells and SK-1s were the most classic examples). It was kind of like punk electronics. Lots of those people you'd see on circuit bending websites did become more legit over time. Like 4ms used to be 3ms and was active in the kinda cracked punk electronics world that was associated with circuit bending at the time. In no way would I consider Parasites firmware or adding a linear FM mod to an oscillator to be in the realm of circuit bending. They are both mods, but coming from a different place. Basically, all circuit bends are mods, not all mods are circuit bends. The Look Mum No Computer guy is probably the closest thing to the contemporary evolution of circuit bending.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I would argue otherwise, considering said mods are often found by poking around on the PCB and seeing what happens. Mods I did for my MS20 mini and my Volca beats were originally found by others this way.

I (somewhat) count firmware because it can be changed and hacked to make modules do completely different things. Not exactly circuit bending obviously, but it is in a similar vein.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Well, I learned about circuit bending originally from the Reed Ghazala Anti-theory site way back in the day so I may be doctrinaire to that line of thinking about it. But afaik he is the origin of the concept, as differentiated from traditional modding, as well as the term "circuit bending" I think. According to him, from what I remember, circuit bending was all about randomness, and semi-ignorant experimentation. There was also a kind of junky aesthetic to it, and standard tools like alligator clips and old toys. I'm pretty sure he wrote some sort of manifesto, it may be out there if you wanna look it up.

Edit: it's not eurorack, but I would say the Soma Pulsar has some big circuit bending energy.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Error Instruments and ERD Modular would probably be what you’re looking for. I wouldn’t try circuit-bending them, but they should give you the kind if randomness you’re looking for.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 am

Foghorn wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm
Hot dang, one thousandth post coming up.
Do I get a prize or something.
Your Goos turn pink and sparkly until you reach post 1001.

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 am

zoogoo wrote:
Is cuircuit bending analog or digital?
any thought?
To this question the thought I would offer as a short answer is "yes"

... but to take it closer to perhaps the heart of what this may be about - I'd also add that "digital" is (contrary to some popular beliefs), also analog. It's more of a subset rather than a separate realm. (to be sure, am using the terms in their common association as continuous vs. discrete methods rather than the literal "analogous", and having to to do with fingers and counting).

Circuit bending often blurs the line between the digital and analog designs, which are notably separate for the very good reason (among others) that it helps to keep them reliable in a mass production context, (there is inevitable variation in physical values between parts - one key superpower of digital, it helps makes things predictable based on design structure and less dependent on material properties). A lot of circuit bending plays with things like the voltage or current thresholds that would otherwise delineate between a logic high and low and can make those conditions less predictable, ideally at a point in the circuit producing interesting results.
Last edited by teleport on Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Sat May 23, 2020 1:10 am

dbl pst

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 pm

zoogoo wrote:

any thought?
Are you looking for modules that are by design circuit bent circuits, meaning modules that are made by taking some circuitry, hacking it for CV control and putting it behind a eurorack panel? Or are you looking for modules that can be bent?

There are some modules that maybe were developed by hacking existing circuits. Error Instruments stuff comes to my mind. Or Folktek Matter.
I wouldn't dare to bend a eurorack module. They're way too expensive for taking the risk of breaking them. - At least for me.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Once you get to this stage, you kinda engineer your own mods, red pill style :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”