Small sequencers / voltage sources

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Domin
Learning to Wiggle

Small sequencers / voltage sources

Post by Domin » Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm

I feel that I don't have enough sequencing. I have two Sputnik 5SVS but all to often I find them clogged by a single channel 3 step sequence. I also would like to have some alternatives to what I get from Marbles.

I'm thinking about getting a few, small sequencers / voltage sources. I'm eyeballing Ladik 18x and Cellz. Polyend preset seems somewhat cool but it's too big, too expensive and too complex. Same goes for Pressure Points. Tirana seems a bit pricey and has features hidden behind some seemingly nasty combos.

I've searched modulargrid for small seqencers and didn't find much else. I'm also interested in modules that allow manual selection of cv without being an actual sequencer. I don't even know how to search for such module. I'd be happy with 3 pots, 3 buttons to select them and an out. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Things I want: small, cheap, simple, sequence length selection or at least reset input, manual step selection, start, stop, advance buttons, wysiwyg, remembering values when turned off, 4-8 steps is fine, available in eu

Things I don't want: big, multichannel, menu diving, key combos, quantization, diy.

Of course I do not expect any module to satisfy all of my criteria I just want some stuff in the ballpark so I can look closer.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Small sequencers / voltage sources

Post by autopoiesis » Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Domin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm
Things I want: small, cheap, simple, sequence length selection or at least reset input, manual step selection, start, stop, advance buttons, wysiwyg, remembering values when turned off, 4-8 steps is fine, available in eu
Dnipro Metamorph checks almost all the boxes except 'small' (20hp)

'function: 'controller' + secondary function: 'sequencer' seems to be the ticket to search modulargrid for this kind of thing. I don't know that there any small ones that aren't menu-driven or expensive.

maybe you want a make noise 0-ctrl? :despair:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Domin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm
I've searched modulargrid for small seqencers and didn't find much else. I'm also interested in modules that allow manual selection of cv without being an actual sequencer. I don't even know how to search for such module. I'd be happy with 3 pots, 3 buttons to select them and an out. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
Most attenuverters and non-passive attenuators act as manual CV sources when unpatched. Patch one of those into a sequential switch and you have a CV sequencer.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm

I have a metric shit load of Ladik. 3 seqs, 2 knob cv expanders, a fader cv expander and an 8 gate out expander. Highly recommend.

The 180 master unit can jump to any step from front panel buttons. Pair that with a cv module, fader or knob, and you have 8 selectable voltages. There’s some option selection via the button, which is kinda sorta menu dive lite, but emphasis on the lite.

Sounds to me that a 180 plus the 182 knob expander might be good for you.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Clock divider into mixer == sequencer
Really any combination of changing CV—lfos, enveloped, gates, etc.—into mixer == sequencer
Changing CV into quantizer == sequencer
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Division-6 Dual Mini Sequencer? Or it's MU cousin SSL 1650 Mini Sequencer?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm

electricanada wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 pm
Clock divider into mixer == sequencer
Really any combination of changing CV—lfos, enveloped, gates, etc.—into mixer == sequencer
Changing CV into quantizer == sequencer
^ This.

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Intellijel uStep - with presets and other features could work for you.
https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... l_v1.0.pdf

Return to “Eurorack Modules”