Your 2 cents are more than welcome

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Your 2 cents are more than welcome

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am

Hey everyone!

Current rack: Planned rack: Yes, Modulargrid screenshots. You know what it means, right?! Well, I've been around asking simple questions and now I want you to judge me. Shoot freely.

Here's the deal: I'm going through changes. I've sold a lot of modules from my current rack and now there's only a corpse. After thinking about what I want, I've made a sketch of a possible future rack.

Let me begin saying why I'm letting some modules go:
  • Morphagene and me didn't work out. It seems to made for something much more like ambient and experimental than I want to do. I plan to make more structured music, like this or that (cheeers Neurotypique and TÆT !).
  • Zvex lo-fi junky hasn't been used usually and I feel is not necessary anymore, since I'm planning to make use of some pedals.
  • 100 Grit is kind of the same, although I don't have distortion pedals and I still want a distortion module but less radical than that.
  • Maths, well, this is controversial but I think it's to big for how I use it (basically modulation).
Now about what I want to add:
  • E370 has been in my rada for a long time. The reason why I haven't got one is size and price. I always think like "I can get something like Hydrasynth for about the same value and have much more versatility". And because I'm planning to get an ER-301.
  • SSF ZPO sounds amazing. That's something I don't have much doubt about adding to my rack.
  • Rossum Trident also sounds amazing but I ask myself if I want to add a big module like that or, since I'll already have ZPO, add something more "traditional" like Mangrove, MiniMod VCO and/or Lifeforms Primary Oscillator.
  • ER-301. It's awesome. That's it.
  • FH-2 expanders because I plan to link Bitwig with eurorack.
  • Strymon pedal intefaces because I really need to be able to use my pedals with my rack (and I plan to use the 3U to 1U adpaters with it).
And finally some doubts:
  • I'm still asking myself if I should keep Magneto. It sounds so nice, but since I have pedals e Mimeophon.
  • Gemini 2412. That's a hell of a filter. But it's big and since there are some really cool stereo filters coming, maybe I should let it go.
  • Should I add more modulation and VCAs?
  • What would you do in my case: external mixer, euro mixer or ES-9?
  • Would you recommend something to fill my 1U rows?
I think that's it. So, your 2 cents are more than welcome.
Last edited by guigui on Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Your 2 cents are more than welcome

Post by lisa » Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 am

Interesting that you already have such a big rack and still want the opinions on simple things (like more modulation or not?). Also asking us if you should get rid of a module like Magneto. Surely, you know best if you should keep Magneto or get more modulation sources? :)

I’ve looked at the pictures (links to your racks on Modulargrid would be better since I can’t figure out what some of the modules are just by the look of them) and there are so many extremely deep modules there that I can’t even begin to comprehend the setup. The possible uses of what you have today is more or less endless.

So, I’d work with the current setup for a while, if it was mine.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 am

"Should I add more modulation and VCAs?"

Without wishing to be rude, how did you get to such an apparently big system without having a feel for that? Genuinely curious- is it something bought as a job lot? It feels like a system that big would grow organically as you play it, adding parts as you go to fill lacunae or branch out and experiment. The idea of throwing that much stuff in a rack all at once without knowing how it behaves scares me a bit.

What happens when the rubber hits the road? Do you find that your patches are stalled for lack of modulaton and VCAs?

It's a little hard to be sure exactly what's in the rack, as I am just zooming into what looks like a screenshot of modulargrid (for some reason), but it's hard to get a feel for how you patch it and what you need just from looking at that. Does it do what you want when you do what you want to do? If not, what doesn't it do? (sorrynotsorry, that was fun to type)

It feels like the answers for your question need to come from you this time- it's not a single row starter rack, you're well down the rabbit hole. Do you have enough hours on the current setup? Are you starving for modulation on some of those big, fancy modules?

Edit:

Oh I see, it's two modulargrid screenshots, presumably of a current and putative layout, that makes it a little less ludicrous, "only" four rows :hihi:

Still a non-trivial system though, ball's still in your court!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 am

OK, it wasn't clear at first that the screenshot in the post was "before" (left) and "after" (right) but the links are bigger screenshots. That helps clarify a bit.

Your priorities and musical goals seems very different from mine, but I did own an E370 and ER-301, and I currently am integrated with Bitwig. To me, your proposed rack has a lot of redundancy and is going to split your attention.

- E370 is awesome. But I found that E370 plus a bunch of oscillators -- similar to the rack you propose -- was overkill. Rather than ditch a lot of other stuff, I went back to an E352.

To me, the argument for an E370 over E352 is for when you don't want to carry many other VCOs (or LFOs), or if you plan to use it polyphonically.

- ER-301 is also extremely good, but working with it feels very different from other modular gear. If you want to make the most of it, it's going to demand a lot of attention. What do you expect it to do for you?

- Bitwig integration can replace or expand a lot of what you're doing in the rack. Going with FH-2 and expanders, to me says "sequencing and modulation in Bitwig." But you're still dedicated vast tracts of HP to sequencing in the rack.

- Most of the things you can do in ER-301, you can do just as well or better, and more easily, in Bitwig. The exception (IMHO) is sampling and buffer manipulation, where ER-301 is very strong. But since you're ditching Morphagene, I'm not sure that's where your interest is...?

(Personally, most of my modulation and (minimal) sequencing is in hardware. Bitwig integration for me is mainly about audio processing and utilities on demand -- e.g. the stuff I was using my ER-301 for. If I want an extra crossfader, a harmonic oscillator or a looped sample, I can patch it in Bitwig Grid.)

Go slow with these changes. Pick up one thing at a time. Let go of only the stuff that you KNOW you don't want to keep working with, at least for now. Don't worry too much about whether modules are "big" if they're good. Focus on the sounds you like and don't try to have it all -- there's a ridiculous amount of great gear available and nobody has the space or time for all of it.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am

Even at a brief glimpse, I would say you have many large fancy modules and definitely not enough modulation and utilities. You have ONE Doepfer A-135-2 4-channel VCA. I would recommend at least another 4-channel VCA, if not 2 - multi-channel VCAs (Intellijel Quad VCA, 135-2, Mutable Veils etc) are not only for controlling audio, but they can serve as mixers for either audio or modulation (mix your LFOs with your envelopes with your sequences!), and you can use the VCA to control the AMOUNT of those signals going out to things and how they're mixed together.

Plus, UTILITIES! Those are the things that glue the system together and make the magic happen, subtly or not. All the 1U Quadratts are great; XAOC Samara, clock multipliers and dividers (4ms QCD, Noise Eng Integra Solum) - all the boring modules are important. I have a relatively small 180hp (3x60hp Moog skiffs) system with 3 oscillators and one filter that take up 1/3 of the space, and the rest are modulation and utilities (touch controller, function generator, attenuverter/mixers, logic, switches). You won't get the most out of the ER-301 AND the Sinfonion without more clocks and modulation and mixers and attenuators. Oh, you can also consider some more modules that generates more random signals.

Mimeophon & Magneto are both fantastic, but I think you can make beautiful delay-drenched sounds with either one of them.

Recommendations:
Modulation: Frap Tools Falistri, Make Noise Maths, Mutable Stages
Mixers/mults: Frap Tools 321, 333
Random signal generation: Mutable Marbles, Frap Tools Sapel, Verbos Random Sampling, Epoch Benjolin
Clock processors: 4ms Quad Clock Distributor, Noise Engineering Integra Solum / Numeric Repetitor / Zularic Repetitor, logic modules
Switches/Routers: ADDAC 206, Joranalogue Switch4, SSSR Labs MatrixArchate, WMD Sequential Switch Mix

Hope this helps. I'm a firm believer in the "boring" modules. Knowing how to integrate those with your bigger fancier modules will really help with understanding how signals and voltages work in a modular system. Good luck.

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Sat May 23, 2020 12:46 pm

I’m not sure what kind of music you make, but random sources seem to be missing completely. NLC sloths, nano-rand, wogglebug or NLC sauce of unce would be low cost, small additions to the mega modules.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat May 23, 2020 12:56 pm

If you didn't like maths because it was too big and only used for modulation then look into Contour 1.

Ornament and Crime is great for this type of system, it has random, sequencers, modulation.. get two of those (16 hp total). they're easy to use (easier than e.g Distings)

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Yeah as was said, I mean VCAs/modulation only you really know the feel for. But I think the Ochd is just so much in such a small size it's kind of a no-brainer just in case you didn't think you have enough LFOs, because really it's very easy to suddenly not have enough. Some modules would single-handedly eat up most or all of Ochd's LFOs and really animate well, importantly leaving your Batumi to do something else. Happy Nerding 3x VCA is a nice one just to make more-sure you're covered on VCAs without having to worry about space.

I mean you can also just mult the hell out of a handful of LFOs to similar effects, nothing wrong with that, but when a lot of the system is on the same rates that limits your being able to play with things more interestingly, for example you can basically strike Ochd's master rate with a short envelope and that's a really easy but very-cool/effective rush on all those LFOs consistently and equally.

Another thing is I think it wouldn't be dumb to have multiples of those 1U ornament & crimes, I mean that's such an incredibly effective use of that space I think and with several iterations of Piqued, Low-Rents etc you'll be quite set.

As was pointed out random seems kind of low/lacking. Maybe Marbles, or Sapel or URA etc. For a small but very instantly-effective way to randomize things up without having to think hard the Mutable Branches is easy, small, cheap and just such a useful bread and butter. Say you want a 10 or 15% odds that every note played has a bit more cutoff added to a VCF, etc - it humanizes things and also can play a part in randomizing percussion. Michigan Synth Works also makes a double-branches called Twigs, which I love so much I'm considering a second.

Lastly I don't see a switch of some kind on there and those can do useful tricks too, maybe see if things like the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix, Qu-bit Synapse or maybe ALM Boss Bow Tie for a compact option might give you more ideas.

Some other ideas/evil suggestions:
Rainmaker (maybe as an alternative to Magneto and/or Mimeophon, not that those are bad, Rainmaker is just incredibly amazing)
Control Forge, basically any/all Rossum
Filter bank (like one of the fancy ones with CV over each band)
Last edited by nios on Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

bro you need to play w this stuff more instead of just making sweeping changes. you have a ton of really powerful stuff.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Too many Eurorack's Smash Hits, too little utilities.

I've a slightly larger system than this and one of the main things is getting it all balanced out. Understandably it can be tricky, akin to Simcity zoning on steroids at times, but your screenshots show that you put very little thought into it during the process of building it over time.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 am
I'm mentioning you both in the same answer because I think you both are talking about pretty similar things.

Well, I'm a persons of doubts. I always think I can be committing a mistake and I'm not seeing it. I have my perception about my rack, but I want yours. That why I like forums, because I can debate with people I think are more experienced than me and you can say where you think I'm not being reasonable or something like that.

I'm sorry, I'll add the link for my racks to a better visualization.

What I have now is remainder of something I don't want anymore, that's why I don't consider the possibility of working with those modules I plan to sell.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm

starthief wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 am
OK, it wasn't clear at first that the screenshot in the post was "before" (left) and "after" (right) but the links are bigger screenshots. That helps clarify a bit.

Your priorities and musical goals seems very different from mine, but I did own an E370 and ER-301, and I currently am integrated with Bitwig. To me, your proposed rack has a lot of redundancy and is going to split your attention.
Very interesting and debatable points here, let's go.
- E370 is awesome. But I found that E370 plus a bunch of oscillators -- similar to the rack you propose -- was overkill. Rather than ditch a lot of other stuff, I went back to an E352.

That makes sense. I've considered E352 too, although I like the idea of E370's polyphony.
To me, the argument for an E370 over E352 is for when you don't want to carry many other VCOs (or LFOs), or if you plan to use it polyphonically.
That makes sense. I've considered E352 too, although I like the idea of E370's polyphony.
- ER-301 is also extremely good, but working with it feels very different from other modular gear. If you want to make the most of it, it's going to demand a lot of attention. What do you expect it to do for you?
I expect to do a lot, actually. I want it to be a sound source, maybe a complete voice, eventually a polyphonic one, effects unit, mixing, etc.
- Bitwig integration can replace or expand a lot of what you're doing in the rack. Going with FH-2 and expanders, to me says "sequencing and modulation in Bitwig." But you're still dedicated vast tracts of HP to sequencing in the rack.
That's something I really want to talk about. I really wish I could do all the sequencing in Bitwig and that's why I've been going back and forth on selling Metron (I still don't consider selling Sinfonion). But I always feel like I wont have in Bitwig what I have in Metron in a per step level. So sequencing in Bitwig would sequence in a pattern level. Do you think that's reasonable?
- Most of the things you can do in ER-301, you can do just as well or better, and more easily, in Bitwig. The exception (IMHO) is sampling and buffer manipulation, where ER-301 is very strong. But since you're ditching Morphagene, I'm not sure that's where your interest is...?

(Personally, most of my modulation and (minimal) sequencing is in hardware. Bitwig integration for me is mainly about audio processing and utilities on demand -- e.g. the stuff I was using my ER-301 for. If I want an extra crossfader, a harmonic oscillator or a looped sample, I can patch it in Bitwig Grid.)
I like the idea of having a more physical and interactive compute in euro format. Could you tell me more about doing what ER-301 does in Bitwig?
Go slow with these changes. Pick up one thing at a time. Let go of only the stuff that you KNOW you don't want to keep working with, at least for now. Don't worry too much about whether modules are "big" if they're good. Focus on the sounds you like and don't try to have it all -- there's a ridiculous amount of great gear available and nobody has the space or time for all of it.
Thanks a lot for that, man!

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am
Even at a brief glimpse, I would say you have many large fancy modules and definitely not enough modulation and utilities. You have ONE Doepfer A-135-2 4-channel VCA. I would recommend at least another 4-channel VCA, if not 2 - multi-channel VCAs (Intellijel Quad VCA, 135-2, Mutable Veils etc) are not only for controlling audio, but they can serve as mixers for either audio or modulation (mix your LFOs with your envelopes with your sequences!), and you can use the VCA to control the AMOUNT of those signals going out to things and how they're mixed together.

Plus, UTILITIES! Those are the things that glue the system together and make the magic happen, subtly or not. All the 1U Quadratts are great; XAOC Samara, clock multipliers and dividers (4ms QCD, Noise Eng Integra Solum) - all the boring modules are important. I have a relatively small 180hp (3x60hp Moog skiffs) system with 3 oscillators and one filter that take up 1/3 of the space, and the rest are modulation and utilities (touch controller, function generator, attenuverter/mixers, logic, switches). You won't get the most out of the ER-301 AND the Sinfonion without more clocks and modulation and mixers and attenuators. Oh, you can also consider some more modules that generates more random signals.

Mimeophon & Magneto are both fantastic, but I think you can make beautiful delay-drenched sounds with either one of them.

Recommendations:
Modulation: Frap Tools Falistri, Make Noise Maths, Mutable Stages
Mixers/mults: Frap Tools 321, 333
Random signal generation: Mutable Marbles, Frap Tools Sapel, Verbos Random Sampling, Epoch Benjolin
Clock processors: 4ms Quad Clock Distributor, Noise Engineering Integra Solum / Numeric Repetitor / Zularic Repetitor, logic modules
Switches/Routers: ADDAC 206, Joranalogue Switch4, SSSR Labs MatrixArchate, WMD Sequential Switch Mix

Hope this helps. I'm a firm believer in the "boring" modules. Knowing how to integrate those with your bigger fancier modules will really help with understanding how signals and voltages work in a modular system. Good luck.
Man, your comment is amazing. I'm taking a lot of notes. Thanks a lot!

Just so you know, I had Integra Solum, but I wish I had more control over the clock division.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:56 pm
If you didn't like maths because it was too big and only used for modulation then look into Contour 1.

Ornament and Crime is great for this type of system, it has random, sequencers, modulation.. get two of those (16 hp total). they're easy to use (easier than e.g Distings)
I already have one in 1U format, but another one would be very cool. Thanks!

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 4:19 pm

nios wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm
Yeah as was said, I mean VCAs/modulation only you really know the feel for. But I think the Ochd is just so much in such a small size it's kind of a no-brainer just in case you didn't think you have enough LFOs, because really it's very easy to suddenly not have enough. Some modules would single-handedly eat up most or all of Ochd's LFOs and really animate well, importantly leaving your Batumi to do something else. Happy Nerding 3x VCA is a nice one just to make more-sure you're covered on VCAs without having to worry about space.
Yeah, I really feel I need more VCAs.

Man, I had bought Ochd on Perfect Circuit. Two, actually. But they never delivered. I really wanted at least one.
Another thing is I think it wouldn't be dumb to have multiples of those 1U ornament & crimes, I mean that's such an incredibly effective use of that space I think and with several iterations of Piqued, Low-Rents etc you'll be quite set.
Yeah, bemushroomed said I should considere having more than one o_c. I'll probably get another 1U unit.
As was pointed out random seems kind of low/lacking. Maybe Marbles, or Sapel or URA etc. For a small but very instantly-effective way to randomize things up without having to think hard the Mutable Branches is easy, small, cheap and just such a useful bread and butter. Say you want a 10 or 15% odds that every note played has a bit more cutoff added to a VCF, etc - it humanizes things and also can play a part in randomizing percussion. Michigan Synth Works also makes a double-branches called Twigs, which I love so much I'm considering a second.
You're right. SSF has teases some new URA on Instagram. I want to know what they are working on, because that's the most interesting one, in my opinion.
Lastly I don't see a switch of some kind on there and those can do useful tricks too, maybe see if things like the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix, Qu-bit Synapse or maybe ALM Boss Bow Tie for a compact option might give you more ideas.
WMD SSM has been suggested before. I'm really considering one to go along clock dividers and multipliers.
Some other ideas/evil suggestions:
Rainmaker (maybe as an alternative to Magneto and/or Mimeophon, not that those are bad, Rainmaker is just incredibly amazing)
Control Forge, basically any/all Rossum
Filter bank (like one of the fancy ones with CV over each band)
Rainmaker is a very evil suggestion. I've considered it before but I think I'll have to live without one for now.
Control Forge has been on my radar too, but I wish it had more outputs or that both could be inverted.
I think filter banks are amazing, but I don't know if they'll fit in my rack.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm
bro you need to play w this stuff more instead of just making sweeping changes. you have a ton of really powerful stuff.
I have played, but I discovered they won't fit very nicely in what I want to do now.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm

guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm
I really wish I could do all the sequencing in Bitwig and that's why I've been going back and forth on selling Metron (I still don't consider selling Sinfonion). But I always feel like I wont have in Bitwig what I have in Metron in a per step level. So sequencing in Bitwig would sequence in a pattern level. Do you think that's reasonable?
Maybe. Sequencing in a DAW is way more powerful in a lot of ways than in most Euro sequencers, but it's a different kind of process and not as inspiring for some people. I used to do all my sequencing in a DAW, but I found myself doing it less and less in favor of hardware and manually played parts.

So you'll have to find the right combination for yourself, I guess :)
guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm
I like the idea of having a more physical and interactive compute in euro format. Could you tell me more about doing what ER-301 does in Bitwig?
To me, ER-301 is less interactive in many ways than a computer. You're trading mouse, keyboard, MIDI devices, and a nice big display for an admittedly very nice encoder, a handful of buttons and a much smaller LCD.

I think the ER-301 is well designed, and it's not an awful experience to use by any means. But I think it's more suited for people who don't want to use a DAW but still want the flexibility of a software modular environment.

When I got mine, it was part of a big change. I sold my delays, most of my filters, my wavefolder, a couple of LPGs, some VCAs, my Warps, my Double Helix, and Hertz Donut mk2 -- because ER-301 could do all of that. This turned out to be a mistake, because I really missed some of that gear, either its specific character or its more hands-on, dedicated nature.

It sounds fine as a complex oscillator, I made a pretty decent wavefolder, etc. But it wasn't the same. Sure, you can pick up some kind of controller to add knobs or faders to it -- but since they're not dedicated controls, you're going to be assigning them to different parameters in the ER-301 for every patch, so it just doesn't feel the same as, say, a pitch knob, a delay time knob, a decay knob etc.

Aside from my mistake of trying to substitute the ER-301 for favorite gear, I also used it as a sort of "mega Disting." For instance, if I wanted a crossfader, I'd put together a crossfader custom unit. It worked pretty well at that... but so does Bitwig.

One of my favorite things I did with ER-301 was convert someone's harmonic oscillator custom unit to have individual control over each partial with the 16n Faderbank, plus phase modulation of all of the partials from a single input, and a wavefolder, and a customized quantizer. It was pretty cool. But I recently recreated the same thing in Bitwig Grid in a matter of minutes -- it's so much easier to navigate around and tweak things.

For me, having a fully capable hardware modular, but also having software modular integration to expand on it (and mix and record, etc.), is the best of both worlds. ER-301 felt to me too much like an uncomfortable middle ground between those places.

That said, I do believe ER-301 really shines at sampling, delays and other buffer manipulation. That just wasn't a big priority for me. (And arguably, Disting EX or a dedicated sampling module might be better for that depending on what you want to do.)

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm

starthief wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Maybe. Sequencing in a DAW is way more powerful in a lot of ways than in most Euro sequencers, but it's a different kind of process and not as inspiring for some people. I used to do all my sequencing in a DAW, but I found myself doing it less and less in favor of hardware and manually played parts.

So you'll have to find the right combination for yourself, I guess :)
Which sequencer do you use?

The thing about Metron is that I've never found anything, even among HW sequencers, that could reproduce what it does with triggers and gates. I don't even need that much ouputs, but if I could find a HW sequencer for that and connect with eurorack through FH-2 would be perfect.
To me, ER-301 is less interactive in many ways than a computer. You're trading mouse, keyboard, MIDI devices, and a nice big display for an admittedly very nice encoder, a handful of buttons and a much smaller LCD.
I'll wont quote everything you said because that will my this comment too big. But that was all very usefull. And you shone a different kind of light on ER-301 for me. I mean, it really sounds cool, but what you said about Bitwig being able to do what it does makes a lot of sense.

Do you use some MIDI controller with Bitwig? After what you've said, I'm really considering removing ER-301 from my planed rack.

You said you think ER-301 seems made for people who doesn't use a DAW. But I see a lot of people using both. Do you think they could concentrate evrything in the DAW?

About sampling, I'm not much into it but I considered studying it a little bit to see if I get interested. I just think sampling in eurorack seems kind of inefficient.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Sat May 23, 2020 5:06 pm

guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Just so you know, I had Integra Solum, but I wish I had more control over the clock division.
Hey - you're so welcome. Like many/most here, I can think and talk modular all day.

If you've tried the Integra Solum and want more control, then the 4ms QCD, maybe with the Expander, definitely fits the bill. On its own there's a cv input for the clock division (and also why you need attenuators so that a 5V-range envelope or +/-5V LFO doesn't sweep through /16 to x16, I mean unless you want it to :hihi:). The expander allows you to adjust the gate width and a whole bunch of other stuff. I forgot - Pamela's New Workout or Make Noise Tempi are also good options. A ton of people swear by Pam's. I'm not one for menus and screens, but it's admittedly a solid module that does its job extremely well.

Also - you can use the Metron as a clock divider/generator of odd/irregular/random clocks. It has so many channels, so you can use some of them for clocking all kinds of things.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:06 pm
guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Hey - you're so welcome. Like many/most here, I can think and talk modular all day.

If you've tried the Integra Solum and want more control, then the 4ms QCD, maybe with the Expander, definitely fits the bill. On its own there's a cv input for the clock division (and also why you need attenuators so that a 5V-range envelope or +/-5V LFO doesn't sweep through /16 to x16, I mean unless you want it to :hihi:). The expander allows you to adjust the gate width and a whole bunch of other stuff. I forgot - Pamela's New Workout or Make Noise Tempi are also good options. A ton of people swear by Pam's. I'm not one for menus and screens, but it's admittedly a solid module that does its job extremely well.

Also - you can use the Metron as a clock divider/generator of odd/irregular/random clocks. It has so many channels, so you can use some of them for clocking all kinds of things.
Yeah, I have Pam and I really like it. Tempi seems very cool but I like the QCD individual clock mult/div jacks.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Which sequencer do you use?
I do a lot of drone stuff, with maybe a control to transpose some voices, and minimal sequencing. For algorithmic/generative sequencing I use the combination of Marbles, Zorlon Cannon and Monome Teletype; for more "programmed" CV sequences I use a Korg SQ-1 and sometimes Stages or Teletype.

But I just got an 0-Ctrl today, which will be taking over from the SQ-1 and then some :)

guigui wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Do you use some MIDI controller with Bitwig? After what you've said, I'm really considering removing ER-301 from my planed rack.

You said you think ER-301 seems made for people who doesn't use a DAW. But I see a lot of people using both. Do you think they could concentrate evrything in the DAW?
For MIDI control I've got a Reface CS, a Touche' SE that I don't use very often, and a 16n Faderbank that I use all the time. The 16n sends MIDI CC, i2c and CV -- I use it mostly for level and timbre control, or sometimes for controlling stuff on the Teletype.

As far as concentrating stuff in the DAW goes... a lot of what we do in modular could be done in the DAW, it's just a question of what people are comfortable with. I guess for some people the ER-301 is worth having even with other modular and a DAW.

Mostly when I see people with an ER-301, it's a more self-contained but smallish setup. I know a lot of people use it mainly for sampling, and there are a couple of people who use it mostly for mixing. A few people have built generative stuff with it.

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm

Gonna assume there is a lot of fresh money into this system, meaning you just recently bought a big chunk of it. (There is my initial Judgement of this system) The problem with big systems is you begin to get overlap within modules, I would access those proclivities within your system and sell the lesser of the overlap. You are eager to spend more on this system (buying an ER301) and that's cool, it's an awesome module. Good luck and I wish you well procuring it. OTOH, Modular is a funny beast, I look at it like an artist canvas, what colors do you want to paint with today? You most certainly will not use every single module in your repertoire on any given patch. So think that through. Here is a counter to my initial thought of lesser "overlap" < module should be sold, is most definitely untrue. If you buy the 301 you will find, it overlaps other modules and possibly does the job better or worse than others, so your thought process is to sell the underling of module, but you will find those modules complement the ER301's Swiss army knife approach nicely. So what do?

J

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun May 24, 2020 1:11 am

starthief wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

For MIDI control I've got a Reface CS, a Touche' SE that I don't use very often, and a 16n Faderbank that I use all the time. The 16n sends MIDI CC, i2c and CV -- I use it mostly for level and timbre control, or sometimes for controlling stuff on the Teletype.
Faderbank is very useful, indeed. I'll need something like that.

I forgot to ask. Do you use any Expert Sleepers audio interface or another DC coupled one to send something back to the DAW?

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 am

Chartreuse-J wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm
Gonna assume there is a lot of fresh money into this system, meaning you just recently bought a big chunk of it. (There is my initial Judgement of this system) The problem with big systems is you begin to get overlap within modules, I would access those proclivities within your system and sell the lesser of the overlap. You are eager to spend more on this system (buying an ER301) and that's cool, it's an awesome module. Good luck and I wish you well procuring it. OTOH, Modular is a funny beast, I look at it like an artist canvas, what colors do you want to paint with today? You most certainly will not use every single module in your repertoire on any given patch. So think that through. Here is a counter to my initial thought of lesser "overlap" < module should be sold, is most definitely untrue. If you buy the 301 you will find, it overlaps other modules and possibly does the job better or worse than others, so your thought process is to sell the underling of module, but you will find those modules complement the ER301's Swiss army knife approach nicely. So what do?

J
I was talking with starthief (right before your comment) about how ER-301 could be used and I'm considering not getting it anymore. Since I'm planning to integrate a DAW (Bitwig) with eurorack, I'm thinking about doing ER-301 job ITB. What do you think?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am

guigui wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:11 am
I forgot to ask. Do you use any Expert Sleepers audio interface or another DC coupled one to send something back to the DAW?
Yep, I use an ES-3 and ES-6 with my Behringer UMC1820. That gives me 6 DC-coupled inputs, 8 DC-coupled outputs, 8 AC-coupled inputs with level controls that can handle anything from piezo mics to Euro levels, and flexible monitoring.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”