26 hp: osc, filt, seq, mod

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

26 hp: osc, filt, seq, mod

Post by wiggies » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 pm

I am looking for suggestions on how to best fill the 26 hp I have available after the recent expansion.
The things I most find myself wanting are an oscillator, filter, sequencer, and modulation source.

My interests are primarily in generative systems and patch programming. My goal is to patch networks of modules that will play themselves, evolve but also repeat, with minimal intervention from a performer.

Specifically:

Oscillator: an analog utility oscillator that will serve as both a source of audio rate modulation and other cross-osc patching and as an additional voice oscillator when needed. Ability to do LFO duties would be a plus. My other oscillators are a Z3000, Braids, and E330. I sometimes use Tides2 as an oscillator as well. I currently am looking at the Zlob Dual VCO as a good option in 4 hp.

Filter: Not loo picky here, but want something that will complement my current stable of filters (3 Sisters, Belgrad, Z2040, Cinnamon). I am also open to possibly some sort of effects module, though I don’t know what that might be. I think I have delay covered. I am currently imagining this slot filled by the new Ripples at 8 hp.

Sequencer: A simple step sequencer. I don’t need quantization because I have two O&C. I used to have a Z8000, which was great, but didn’t do enough for me to justify the hp. Then I had the Antumbra Rot8, which I also liked a lot, but I got an NLC Bindubba and that suits me better than anything. Really here I want a stepped modulation source with features that allow for variation under CV. I’m largely interested in sequence mixing so don’t need fancy features like quantization. I’m looking at the Mimetic Sequent at 10 hp, but I think that may be overkill for me. The Prizma has also caught my eye, but the learning curve looks daunting.

Modulation source: Clep Diaz is pretty much the thing I want here. But I could be talked into something else. That’s the last 4 hp.

Anyway, that’s the puzzle. I’m interested in comprehensive solutions that meet the above specs.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 26 hp: osc, filt, seq, mod

Post by helix » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 am

Watch demos and go for the ones that you love, that you can afford, and that fit in 26HP :D

yhf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yhf » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 am

Modulation: I am considering the Doepfer A-145-4, because I think that four simple, unsynced LFOs would be great for generative music. Four LFOs in four HP for 80,- Euro is pretty good, I'd say. I'm not sure how slow it can go though: On the Doepfer website it says that it is as slow as three to four minutes per cycle, in the PDF document that explains the jumper settings it says up to eight minutes.
http://www.doepfer.de/a1454.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A145_4_jumpers.pdf

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

wiggies wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 pm
Oscillator: an analog utility oscillator that will serve as both a source of audio rate modulation and other cross-osc patching and as an additional voice oscillator when needed. Ability to do LFO duties would be a plus. My other oscillators are a Z3000, Braids, and E330. I sometimes use Tides2 as an oscillator as well. I currently am looking at the Zlob Dual VCO as a good option in 4 hp.
A little late, but wanted to chime in to say I have two Zlob Dual VCOs for auto-rate modulation and multi-waveform-mix duties. Love them for their size, duality (heh), and that the fine tune actually gives fine tune control. Recommended!

I myself am eyeing the 2020 Ripples, but I'm a bit filter obsessed!

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 pm

NLC Sloths might be a fun addition if you already have a more conventional LFO. Never used one but the Spherical Sound Society Vortex Generator looks like a great modulator envelope, FM/shift register noise maker in a compact space.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”