Update from Mutable Instruments on a DivKid youtube comment? 3 more releases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Update from Mutable Instruments on a DivKid youtube comment? 3 more releases?

Post by blaythe.steuer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm

C46A7CF4-5CE4-4E88-A56E-135C06D15FAC.png
Figured y’all would wanna know. Hoping the last few releases are huge and production continues for quite a while. She’s done so much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Update from Mutable Instruments on a DivKid youtube comment? 3 more releases?

Post by Dark Barn » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:22 pm

That’s exciting news!
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Update from Mutable Instruments on a DivKid youtube comment? 3 more releases?

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Lovely! The MI modules have been hit and miss to me. I really like Plaits, Rings (the reason I got into eurorack) and Warps. Elements is good but a bit pricey and underwhelming when Rings is an option. Stages is ok but a bit cryptic and I'm mainly using it for very simple and mundane functions. Marbles wasn't for me at all and I hate Clouds. So, statistically I'll have to get one of the three modules. :D
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:38 pm

Great to hear about the new modules, it's that "and I'm gone" that's not so great to hear :(
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:43 pm

This is exciting news indeed. MI is the reason I even got into Eurorack. Can't wait to see what coming down the MI pipeline.
mkasthe wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:38 pm
Great to hear about the new modules, it's that "and I'm gone" that's not so great to hear :(
I just noticed this. That is too bad but I'm grateful for the modules that already exist.
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Well, she's been gone for quite a while now. It was never certain that we would ever get another MI module, reading what she said on the MI forum. I think this is something to rejoice in.

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Do you think she feels a certain bit of betrayal. She gave her code to the world and so many have taken it and ran. Wonder if that has something to do with it, or perhaps she's just bored with this shit. Mutable is certainly one of the reasons I got into euro. Its my hope that one day I'll have a case full of their releases. She's certainly opened the doors to many, and will continue to do so in the future.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Macro/micro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Macro/micro » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pm
Do you think she feels a certain bit of betrayal. She gave her code to the world and so many have taken it and ran. Wonder if that has something to do with it, or perhaps she's just bored with this shit. Mutable is certainly one of the reasons I got into euro. Its my hope that one day I'll have a case full of their releases. She's certainly opened the doors to many, and will continue to do so in the future.
My guess is more that she’s “bored” and has other interests she wants to pursue like photography. About a year ago, I remember a comment she left somewhere implying that she doesn’t want to only be thought of only as a modular synth person and that she has other passions she’d like to do more of.

That being said, I love MI modules so I hope like a great band that says they’re quiting (looking at you NIN and LCD Soundsystem!) that it’ll end up being an extended hiatus until the joy is refound and brings them back.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:03 pm

I think it’s a loss for the Euro community when any manufacturer decides to close their doors.
I know times are tough right now and trying to make a living by selling non essential items like modules must be extremely difficult.
If MI is closing their doors because the passion and drive are gone then that’s understandable and we can hope that the Phoenix will rise from the flames...
Maybe a new hardware polysynth is in the future?
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Emilie needs a well deserved break after this. I wasn't expecting 3 new modules, happy to see them, but she's already proved herself more than enough to not have to make more.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Man I love LCD soundsystem.

Frankly I think Mutable Instruments have been left behind. Look at the amazing new modules that are coming out from new companies you’ve never even heard of.

I don’t see how the ‘original few’ are going to top what the even smaller companies are putting out. Especially as they probably don’t really want to. The competition and quality has totally mushroomed in a few short years.

When I started it was all Mutable Instruments, Make Noise and Intellijel. Now I hardly own any of their modules. And I have about 65 modules.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:26 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm
Frankly I think Mutable Instruments have been left behind.
MI sells several thousand modules each time a new one is released. Very few companies in the eurorack field seems to reach those levels.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Yeah your comment doesn't add up. Right now on Modular Grid, MI has 3 of the top 5 spots under their most popular modules list. I can't think of many other companies that have generated as much popularity and admiration in the Euro world as MI has. Its been a very creative and imaginative company since its first releases, and if these are new modules and not updated versions of old ones, have no doubt they'll be awesome.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:49 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Maybe Emile is returning to her home planet- our loss, their gain :waah:

Still, MI has made some lovely, playable modules with clever functions, nice build quality and comfortable wiggle-able designs. Releasing source code was also deeply cool. I have used a mix of first-party MI and mini-clones at various times, and really enjoyed the choice.

I really like my Veils and Ripples- I know they're not clever function-overloaded digital powerhouses, but they're thoughtfully designed and pleasant to use. Looking forward to seeing what she has up her sleeve. Not every module is for everyone, but they're always worth a look.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm

pmarchitect wrote:

Frankly I think Mutable Instruments have been left behind. Look at the amazing new modules that are coming out from new companies you’ve never even heard of.

I don’t see how the ‘original few’ are going to top what the even smaller companies are putting out. Especially as they probably don’t really want to. The competition and quality has totally mushroomed in a few short years.

When I started it was all Mutable Instruments, Make Noise and Intellijel. Now I hardly own any of their modules. And I have about 65 modules.
I can see how an experienced modular user may feel inclined to move past some of the mutable modules but I think for those that are just getting into modular, there are few out there that seem to be as approachable, user friendly, versatile, and inspiring as what mutable has put out. For example, most people consider Make Noise Maths a staple in their racks, but I remember seeing it when first starting out and thought it was very intimidating :hmm: . Compare that to Braids, Peaks, Rings - which just seem very straight forward. That combined with the fact that the design and code are open source allows the user to breath new life into the modules with more advanced features once the need comes along. Mutables always has a space in my rack.

jicamasalad
Common Wiggler

Post by jicamasalad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:14 pm

pmarchitect wrote:

It's all just different musician's personal taste; I have a quite large system which is nearly ALL MI modules, and only a few XAOC Devices and an Eventide DDL; I use them all the time, think they sound fantastic and am grateful to Emilie for creating them, so I provide a counterbalance to your system with hardly any.

I don't personally agree that MI has been "left behind". A new good design doesn't negate an older good design - it's not like a new smartphone that makes last year's model feel obsolete. People still enjoy and appreciate the designs of Buchla, Moog, Serge etc.

Just my opinion!
crickets sound best

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm

pmarchitect wrote:

I still have the majority of my Doepfer modules I started with about a decade ago. Even if I had sold a bunch of them I would never say that that reflects the state of their brand within the euro ecosystem.

That said, I have never sold a MI, MN or Intellijel module, and that's the majority of my system (other than Doepfer ha). Maybe that makes me a geezer, but I have to disagree with this post that they (or the other early euro people) are left behind.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that most people here have used a MI interface, whether it be OG MI, mini MI or VCV MI in the past couple of days.

Black_Materia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Black_Materia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:29 pm

I've always admired the way she shared her knowledge and designs, even actively helping others who want to do something with it. It's her full right to move on to other things, and this way even then, the Mutable philosophy and approach grows & lives on.

I'm really hoping for a Streams V2. I'm a bit puzzled why no-one has made a smaller version or iteration of this concept yet. there's very few modules combining decay envelopes and vca's but also trying to emulate vactrol character or the way a real-life object strike has a very different sound.
Only the Rabid elephant Natural gate comes to mind, but those are pretty much unobtanium. I'm on some waiting lists, but it's pretty much radio-silence there, understandeably though, with current US events.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 pm

Although buying a ready built Doepfer A100 system was what got me into Eurorack (to be fair I have had previous Doepfer experience, but that's another story) my purchase of an Elements after a friend sent me a link to a demo video was when it really took off - I bought one (and another Doepfer 6u frame and Gator case) and used it on a gig two days after it arrived (you can hear the results on the title track of the third Hyberus album "Vortexing").

I now have (as of today): Elements, Clouds, 2 x Grids, Plaits, Kinks, Marbles, Stages, Ripples (Mk 2); and a lot of other stuff. I like Emilie's approach.
Random is the new maRnod

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Look at the amazing new modules that are coming out from new companies you’ve never even heard of.
Such as..? Genuinely curious, btw

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:46 pm

<insert well-crafted reasoned opinion about how MI fits into the Eurorack continuum. With special consideration of the financial implications of open source on this marketplace, based on feelings>

Also, Rings is one of my favorite modules ever, I have 2 (OG, not even clones!) And I guess Peaks, though 3/5 of mine are not official versions.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Delighted that more is on the way from Emilie, and sad the end is approaching... but I'm sure she'll be on to other things that make her happy, and that's a win too. Her modules were what got me back into Euro (and music in general) after a 16+ year hiatus, so I'm grateful.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:43 pm

If designing modules were truly a passion of hers at one point then I would assume that it's highly likely that passion eventually returns. A year or ten years but eventually the itch always comes back.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Definitely interested to see what she has in store for us. I own Edges, Frames, Warps, Ripples, Blinds,and Kinks, and I doubt I'll ever part with any of them. I've been looking into adding a Rings as well, and maybe Stages. I have yet to be disappointed with a MI module.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 pm

target_destroyed wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 pm
Definitely interested to see what she has in store for us. I own Edges, Frames, Warps, Ripples, Blinds,and Kinks, and I doubt I'll ever part with any of them. I've been looking into adding a Rings as well, and maybe Stages. I have yet to be disappointed with a MI module.
Rings is excellent. One of my favorites.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”