Random*Source Resonant Equalizer... or?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Random*Source Resonant Equalizer... or?

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 pm

hello-
I have developed a huge interest in the Random*Source Resonant Equalizer. It looks really playable, organic and sounds like it would excel at both physical modeling and external audio processing (field recordings, polysynths etc).

here's the thing: there are not a ton of demos of it online; sure, there's a few, but not a ton, and a lot of them are of the Serge Resonant Equalizer euro module, which though cool does not strike me in the same way as the R*S module. For an expensive and large module I wish there were more examples of it online. Maybe you all have more resources?

Other than scant resources online, I am worried about the lack of CV control to animate the resonant bands. I know this could be achieved by sending the combs to cv controlled VCAs, but it would be really nice to have more control of the individual bands. Can users comment on whether or not this is bothersome to them? Maybe worrying about CV control is missing the point. For reference I have a fxdf that I animate with CV by sending the individual outputs to separate VCAs, which works in some situations but is not a staple of every patch as it hogs VCAs and has a very identifiable sound. Also the fxdf is not resonant and I imagine that dynamically sweeping individual resonant bands via cv would sound amazing.

I really want to get the Res EQ (if it is ever in stock or used somewhere) but these are my concerns. Can users chime in on their thoughts on this super cool module, and possibly recommend alternatives with CV control, though I really don't want an alternative? All I could think of were Shelves and SMR. No offense but I am not interested in Fumana or Verbos Bark.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Re: Random*Source Resonant Equalizer... or?

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm

I would help but I ordered one from a builder in russia and the shipment got coronavirused so I have no idea when I'm going to get it. As far as alternatives, the ADDAC 601 is probably the only thing that really fits - it's only 8 bands vs 10 but it has full VCA control over every band (and envelope followers) but is only 20 hp vs the fumana and bark which are much larger. On that one I've had some great results AMing a band or two with something harmonically related to the original source.

As to the lack of CV, :despair: not sure. It's a popular and well loved module without it so I guess it doesn't hurt. It was a risk I decided to take when ordering.

Black_Materia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Black_Materia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Same here. I've been gassing for one for a while. It sounds great from what i've heard. It's a shame there's no cv control, but i've got two hands and VCA's to spare.

The one thing that i was wondering about, in a youtube interview between Divkid and Jamie Lidell (who has a lot of the Random source eurorack modules) they say they have a lower input/output level than most eurorack, so they're a bit harder to make them interact easily. But i'm thinking, for a module like this it matters less than for a vco or AD generator.

Verbos Bark sounds great too, but it really is too expensive right now. And that feedback character is just to die for

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 pm

wow, thanks people.

i also have two hands, but they are usually busy doing other things like playing a keyboard or adjusting 80s rack mount effects without CV. That said, in my imagination part of the fun of this module would be manual tweaking it with my Roland DEP-5. I also really want to use it in feedback patches.

I've watched that Barton video a ton already, as I also love the Erbe. Didn't ever hear about the low input/output volume, can others elaborate? Can this be calibrated if the module is DIY?

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:32 pm

nobody to comment on the R*S rather than either versions of Shelves?

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:20 pm

SO. The Res eq is one of my favorite modules it is an incredibly powerful tool for sculpting sounds and also tone generation. it is as you say, so organic sounding. im often tempted to build a second one. I really find that with the R*S the type of capacitor really plays an important role in the sound of the feedback i chose the advised polystyrene caps as they were more raw sounding and not so clean as the others like for instance the "tropical fish" caps. i dont really miss cv control with this as for one it is very playable and i am often live wiggling for large band cuts but also with the feedback i really like to have the it often where a few bands are on the edge of self resonance where the signal is not yet overpowered by it. then you get nice intermittent resonance as the sounds change frequency. Also the phase cancelation mode on the switch coupled with feeding back one of the combs can give great results. what i wish is that the bands had individual outs then you could go mental with the feedback.

that said i have been drooling at the idea of the erica synths res eq that they showed off a few years back. hopefully not vaporware. But it was going to have cv over bands and component cards you could swap to have different coloration. :guinness:

shelves also struck me recently as cool but im a sucker for filterbanks and eq, though i think its no res eq.

Oh and i have no issue with levels out of the res eq. first depending on one of the resistors you can really drive the inputs and with the feedback the signal is HOT coming out

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:01 pm

I feel that a vca (to patch an output into the second input for VC over feedback) + a VC crossfader (for the two comb outputs - *great* results here) is enough to supplement manual control with the resEQ. happy nerding dual xfade is an efficient tool for both. nothing else sounds like it, so if the sound grabs you, go for it!

and yeah it's a great feedback insert, especially in the loop of a spring reverb or a tube amp

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 am

I do play the ResEQ as an instrument.

bollyhood
Common Wiggler

Post by bollyhood » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:37 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Same here. I've been gassing for one for a while. It sounds great from what i've heard. It's a shame there's no cv control, but i've got two hands and VCA's to spare.

The one thing that i was wondering about, in a youtube interview between Divkid and Jamie Lidell (who has a lot of the Random source eurorack modules) they say they have a lower input/output level than most eurorack, so they're a bit harder to make them interact easily. But i'm thinking, for a module like this it matters less than for a vco or AD generator.

Verbos Bark sounds great too, but it really is too expensive right now. And that feedback character is just to die for

Also want both of these, cant decide between them and think I will just get both down the line.

Anyways, also worried about the levels on the ResEq but I have asked people before about it, no problem with ResEq. People I know who have both of these always vote for the Bark too. But thats in a techno context. Not sure what music you create.

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 am

same here, I was bothered by the lack of cv.

Built one, and finaly, I'd say that it's not that of a big problem.
Due to how it is played with feedback, it would be hard to control it via cv, if even possible. It is so raw, can go wild so fast, that nothing else can replace ears and fingers.

Indeed, I could see the idea to ping each band, but this will go uncontrolled a bit too fast, and it's better to control the source entering into it, and not the bands for this.

Just one notice, I was initially strongly disappointed by it, as I was not able to get the raw power of the video, before I discovered that it was my mixer and revert clipping ! it does output a bit hot, so if you don't like the sound, check that it's not clipping :) with enough headroom, it really sing it's own melody.

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am

It's a great sounding module and the lack of cv isnt an issue. Just use some of the patching examples others have pointed out to compensate. I have only regretted selling two modules and this was one of them.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:34 pm

I have one. it's a fantastic module. I also second the comment from klick that once you're using feedback, which is a large part of the joy of this module, cv control is going to be potentially problematic due to the highly unpredictable nature of the output; it will scream and howl.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:57 pm

I have the CGS version and think it is amazing. I wouldn't worry about the lack of cv control at all. My only regret is not having the even larger slider version (w/ individiual i/o). It seems like the perfect interface for this module.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm

I have one and I like it, but it's not something I would recommend to someone who isn't strongly committed to this particular module.

Some things to consider: it gets very wild with feedback and one band's setting will affect everything else more than you might think. If the two lowest bands start to self-oscillate it can totally mask the other high bands and then backing off the lows can leave you with ear splitting 11KHz feedback (NOT fun).

For that reason, I wouldn't even recommend trying to have CV over it-- it turns into terrible noise easily.

Using it statically in the chain somewhere? Fantastic.

Pinging it with triggers and making controlled manual modulations in the middle just edging it into self-oscillation? Wonderful.

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:52 am

I've built two of them (I was lucky enough to get the PCBs and panels for really cheap from a fellow wiggler), one with regular components, one with styrenes. The styrenes really do make a difference.

It would be nice to have some CV control (as far as I can recall, there was even some sort of provision made for this on the board), but as some other posters have noted, it really is a hands-on kind of instrument. I've spent hours just playing droney feedback jams on it, sometimes with a bit of Clouds in the path. Also, crosspatching two Resonant EQs can lead to fantastic results.

wvrm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wvrm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 am

pelang wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 am
I do play the ResEQ as an instrument.
This! It's such an organic sounding beast, perfect for metallic-sounding drones.

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:26 am

neonmercury1 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:20 pm
I really find that with the R*S the type of capacitor really plays an important role in the sound of the feedback i chose the advised polystyrene caps as they were more raw sounding and not so clean as the others like for instance the "tropical fish" caps.
Interesting. I've found https://www.patch-point.com/eurorack/ra ... q-eurorack where they build one with one of three options for the caps. My first hunch was to go with the modern hi-fi one, but hearing the rawness in some videos I'm starting to have doubts. Maybe someone like divkid could be convinced to make a comparison video if people would send him variants?

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Ok, I am more than totally sold. Anyone have eyes on one for sale, new or used, in the US/CAN?? It looks pretty unobtainium at this point...

Alternatively, any builders willing to build one for me? I am not a DIYer...

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:09 pm

I didn't understand the difference between the caps when I was buying one. The one I have coming has NOS polystyrene but in the Hainbach video that pushed me over the edge of ordering, he said he had a Dr. Weiner tropical edition and now I know what that meant. Oh well, if worse comes to worse, I'll get one of those too :omg:

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Interesting to hear about the differences in the caps; is there a consensus as to which sounds best? It seems like the main difference is in distortion and general sound quality, but how do them compare in terms of feedback? Any idea which type of caps are used in the ones that R*S sends to distributors like Perfect Circuit?

bollyhood
Common Wiggler

Post by bollyhood » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:19 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Interesting to hear about the differences in the caps; is there a consensus as to which sounds best? It seems like the main difference is in distortion and general sound quality, but how do them compare in terms of feedback? Any idea which type of caps are used in the ones that R*S sends to distributors like Perfect Circuit?
Tried to check that too, my guess is that their Serge format one has styrene while the Euro one doesnt.. Based on the descriptions on the website. Serge format one clearly states "including fine part choices such as low tolerance Styrene caps in the resEQ", Euro equivalent on their site doesnt say anything about it. So just guessing here.

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Random*Source - didn't their first 4x4 panel use the CGS PCB?

In any event there were DIY euro panels with slider boards to go with the CGS PCB. Lots more hp compared to R*S space but the "mk 2" featured individual band outs. No panel located feedback pot though. https://synthcube.com/cart/serge-res-eq ... ption=true

Val
Common Wiggler

Post by Val » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Btw: I think the new Res EQ -built version only- has SMT caps? if you want styrene, you have to build it. Still, even with smd caps you will get this wild sound. Caps change the tone a bit but it really is enthusiast shenanigans. (I built it with styrene)

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Ha, I got mine today. I've only spent a few minutes poking at it so far (supposed to be working) and this thing is exactly as nasty as I was hoping. Between like 1 and 2 o'clock on the feedback knob it tends to go absolutely apeshit. I was trying to duplicate a sound Hainbach was making in one of his videos, which I thought was coming from pinging the reseq but I'm pretty sure now that isn't what was happening. I found that if you get the feedback going you can patch an envelope into one of the inputs with the gain cranked and the DC from the envelope will choke the feedback. You can make some really cool sounds that way. Mine has enough gain on the inputs to massively distort regular eurorack level signals - combining that level of gain on an audio signal, plus an envelope into the other input, and pretty much maxing out the feedback will get you some nasty, pulsing, industrial gnarliness.

On the other hand, in tame sound land I was able to get some really great cello sounds.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Nice. Mine will only saturate a bit on the inputs. Now I wish I had more gain on tap... wonder if it's a simple resistor mod?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”