Download links for the guide can be found in the changelog section at the bottom of the post.
Hi all, this is a guide on the Monsoon module, a derivative of Mutable Instruments Clouds. I posted it to Reddit a few days ago, and I wanted to get it up here so I could post changes and allow discussion in a place a little more suited to that sort of thing. My goal with this was mostly to have fun and to play around with Mutable Instruments' design language (my god it's lovely), and to learn how to use Affinity Publisher. I'm pretty happy with what I have down so far. Content-wise my goal is to convey a lot of useful information in a helpful, mostly-noob-understandable way. I also wanted to compile a more detailed guide on the Parasite firmware for Clouds.
If anyone's interested in helping out in exchange for a shout-out in the credits section, I need help with a few things. I might end up printing a copy for myself once revisions are complete - it would be cool to have a user guide like my other Mutable Instruments modules, even if it is a bit longer and more verbose. I could use some help with:
- Proof reading to make sure everything I've said makes sense. Most of the source material is copied or based heavily on already available resources online, so it should be pretty accurate, but things could have been lost in translation, so to speak.
- A pared-down vector art version of the Monsoon face plate to be used on the front cover - something like the title page from the guide you see above, but something that looks like Monsoon, not Clouds. I haven't attempted it myself yet, and I might be able to get something presentable, but vector art is decidedly not my forte. Or art in general, for that matter.
- Critique/comments on my emulation of the Mutable Instruments design language. It should be obvious I'm mostly going for a blatant copy. I have made some deliberate decisions to deviate here and there, but I'm mostly using newer (Plaits, Marbles) quick-start guides that I have physical copies of as a reference - some of the MI design stuff, particularly in their guides and manuals, has changed a bit over the years.
- Adding a section on the Kammerl Beat Repeat firmware
- Adding a comprehensive tips-and-tricks section with cool patch ideas
Thanks for reading!
1.2.1 - 6 Jun 2020 (download)
- Fixed incorrect list letter ordering for some parts of the Parasites section
- Added Kammerl Beat Repeat firmware section
- Used the Clouds quick-start front page vector graphic as a place-holder until one gets made for the Monsoon layout
- Increased copy leading size slightly (looks much better)
- Aligned some things that weren't aligned properly
- Added true last page, personal logo
- Page number placed in a way which feels less crowded
- A bunch of other small tweaks I'm forgetting
- Initial release, contained stock firmware guide, parasites guide