[Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

[Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Post by taylorthurlow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 pm

Download links for the guide can be found in the changelog section at the bottom of the post.

Hi all, this is a guide on the Monsoon module, a derivative of Mutable Instruments Clouds. I posted it to Reddit a few days ago, and I wanted to get it up here so I could post changes and allow discussion in a place a little more suited to that sort of thing. My goal with this was mostly to have fun and to play around with Mutable Instruments' design language (my god it's lovely), and to learn how to use Affinity Publisher. I'm pretty happy with what I have down so far. Content-wise my goal is to convey a lot of useful information in a helpful, mostly-noob-understandable way. I also wanted to compile a more detailed guide on the Parasite firmware for Clouds.

If anyone's interested in helping out in exchange for a shout-out in the credits section, I need help with a few things. I might end up printing a copy for myself once revisions are complete - it would be cool to have a user guide like my other Mutable Instruments modules, even if it is a bit longer and more verbose. I could use some help with:
  • Proof reading to make sure everything I've said makes sense. Most of the source material is copied or based heavily on already available resources online, so it should be pretty accurate, but things could have been lost in translation, so to speak.
  • A pared-down vector art version of the Monsoon face plate to be used on the front cover - something like the title page from the guide you see above, but something that looks like Monsoon, not Clouds. I haven't attempted it myself yet, and I might be able to get something presentable, but vector art is decidedly not my forte. Or art in general, for that matter.
  • Critique/comments on my emulation of the Mutable Instruments design language. It should be obvious I'm mostly going for a blatant copy. I have made some deliberate decisions to deviate here and there, but I'm mostly using newer (Plaits, Marbles) quick-start guides that I have physical copies of as a reference - some of the MI design stuff, particularly in their guides and manuals, has changed a bit over the years.
As far as potential content to be added, I'm considering:
  • Adding a section on the Kammerl Beat Repeat firmware
  • Adding a comprehensive tips-and-tricks section with cool patch ideas
Let me know if you think those are good or bad ideas. It's already pretty long.

Thanks for reading!

Changelog

1.2.1 - 6 Jun 2020 (download)
  • Fixed incorrect list letter ordering for some parts of the Parasites section
1.2 - 5 Jun 2020 (download)
  • Added Kammerl Beat Repeat firmware section
1.1 - 1 Jun 2020 (download)
  • Used the Clouds quick-start front page vector graphic as a place-holder until one gets made for the Monsoon layout
  • Increased copy leading size slightly (looks much better)
  • Aligned some things that weren't aligned properly
  • Added true last page, personal logo
  • Page number placed in a way which feels less crowded
  • A bunch of other small tweaks I'm forgetting
1.0 - 31 May 2020
  • Initial release, contained stock firmware guide, parasites guide
Last edited by taylorthurlow on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Hey, that's easy on the eye, thanks!

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Post by Dibek » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:24 pm

Great, thanks!

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Wow, very good
here hare here!

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Did a quick skim and didn't find any glaring errors or misspellings, will read carefully tonight though when I get a chance.

Definitely long, but I think the more information the better for any in depth guide. 8-13 are great as a quick-start so anyone wanted to just get going could potentially stop there and then come back to it when they want to know more. A Kammerl section would be great, as it seems that one tends to get people confused.

Fabulously well done, thanks a bunch!

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taylorthurlow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone, for the kind words.
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:16 pm
Did a quick skim and didn't find any glaring errors or misspellings, will read carefully tonight though when I get a chance.

Definitely long, but I think the more information the better for any in depth guide. 8-13 are great as a quick-start so anyone wanted to just get going could potentially stop there and then come back to it when they want to know more. A Kammerl section would be great, as it seems that one tends to get people confused.

Fabulously well done, thanks a bunch!
Glad to be able to help. I'm in the process of finishing up a Kammerl section right now, should be out in the next couple days!

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taylorthurlow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Just updated the original post with a download link to version 1.2, this time including stuff for Kammerl Beat Repeat! Let me know if you find any issues, I'm sure there are some.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 pm

Really great manual, thanks for adding Adding Kammerl Beat Repeat!

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taylorthurlow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:06 pm

Found some issues with the labeling of some of the lists, fixing soon.

Stoneyards
Common Wiggler

Post by Stoneyards » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for this! I have an After Later Storm (microcell) and the parasites guide alone is really nice to have.

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:23 am

No substantive comments on changes but just wanted to say this is a great guide and thanks for putting in the work and sharing. Im new to modular and just bought monsoon and found things a little inscrutable coming in with no prior clouds experience. This is a deep module and this guide will help me navigate it.

I also have plaits and marbles so while I can’t compare to older guides, I found your version stylistically consistent with those

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:01 am

Great work and almost perfect timing for me personally.
Cheers!

booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Searching for simple calibration guide online and found this thread and guide. Brilliant work - thankyou.

HelmutGeist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HelmutGeist » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Awesome! Thank you!

Funkyjawa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Funkyjawa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks for doing this. I just got Typhoon a couple days ago. I used to have Clouds, but there still is a learning curve.

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm

Nice work. Very succinct and relatable descriptions for a module that is hard to describe

chrischn2000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrischn2000 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm

awesome man!! I got a clouds uCell today and now there's even a manual! Crazy!!!

I simply love this community! <3

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:57 am

I've got Monsoon arriving in a few days to replace my OG Clouds so this is good timing!

It all looks great. It will be really handy having all this in one place. Previously I had to consult a link on my phone every time I wanted to do something with the Parasites firmware.

A couple of things I noticed:

- In the looping delay section, you don't describe what the Texture slider does. Isn't this a filter? It is on the version of Clouds I have.

- In the "Notable Changes" section for Parasites, you say "The TEXTURE slider now as asymmetric shapes of grain
envelopes"

Shouldn't that be "has asymmetric" ?

Hope that helps!

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taylorthurlow » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm

sjbucks wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:57 am
I've got Monsoon arriving in a few days to replace my OG Clouds so this is good timing!

It all looks great. It will be really handy having all this in one place. Previously I had to consult a link on my phone every time I wanted to do something with the Parasites firmware.

- In the looping delay section, you don't describe what the Texture slider does. Isn't this a filter? It is on the version of Clouds I have.

- In the "Notable Changes" section for Parasites, you say "The TEXTURE slider now as asymmetric shapes of grain
envelopes"

Hope that helps!
Thanks for catching those, you're right. I'll be sure to fix those in the next release.

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:45 am

taylorthurlow wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm
sjbucks wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:57 am

envelopes"

Hope that helps!
Thanks for catching those, you're right. I'll be sure to fix those in the next release.

No probs, happy to help!

col
Wiggling with Experience

Post by col » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 am

Under Power Requirements:
"The red stripe on the ribbon cable (-12V side) must be oriented on the same side as the “Red stripe” marking on the module and on your power distribution board."

This should read:

Monsoon has a full-bridge rectifier chip after the power header, The cable can be connected "Either Way", as marked on the PCB.

Great guide, keep up the good work!

taylorthurlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by taylorthurlow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:54 pm

col wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 am
Under Power Requirements:
"The red stripe on the ribbon cable (-12V side) must be oriented on the same side as the “Red stripe” marking on the module and on your power distribution board."

This should read:

Monsoon has a full-bridge rectifier chip after the power header, The cable can be connected "Either Way", as marked on the PCB.

Great guide, keep up the good work!
Very correct! I forgot about that. Will fix in the next revision. Thanks.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Just wanted to say Thank You! Another great manual/cheatsheet for the iPad.
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Virustian » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:18 am

Even better than the original clouds manual, explains in depth all the parameters! Thank you !

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Great work! Much better than the cobbled-together PDF I made... Thank you very much for sharing with us!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”