[Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Post by exper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 pm

:yay: :sb:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Guide] Monsoon (Clouds derivative) - In depth guide in the style of Mutable Instruments' guides

Post by 3hands » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Thank you so much!! I have just taken delivery of a Sinecore Monsoon out of Montreal, and this guide is fantastic! It’s not just rings into monsoon anymore!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:33 am

Thanks a lot! This is some awesome work.
It wonder if there's someone willing and able to the same for Typhoon...

razzkazz
Common Wiggler

Post by razzkazz » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 am

Thinking about getting a Monsoon. Obviously Clouds is a classic, and Im a bit late to the game here. But I was wondering is the module relevant in a small setup (6U 84HP), or should I consider other options. I know there's the Morphagene and the Arbhar, for granular, though different, they could also cover some similar ground, though these are more expensive, and also take up more HP. Or maybe some interesting FX module. I like that Clouds/Monsoon seems to be a swiss-army knife, and lends itself to many sound mangling possibilities, but I didn't realise until I started research it that in order to get the larger buffer sizes, the quality drops to 16k/8bit. I am a bit obsessed with sound quality and am wondering is this a deal breaker, or do the results have a certain "charm" to them. Im not into digital "graininess". I am testing the Clouds software version in VCV rack.

So is the module still a no-brainer, or are there better options out there? I make ambient, drone, experimental music (at the moment)

Apologies if this all sounds vague. Just looking for some general opinions :)

TheNthMan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheNthMan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:58 pm

I haven't used them all, but my take on what I've seen of the demos of them, Clouds and the derivatives are granular as a live effect. Clouds, being an open platform, has a lot more things that it can do pretty well besides just granular. The Instruo Arbhar is a more recent granular as a live effect and I think ergonomically it is a better live instrument. With the years of general computational advances, Arbhar is unsurprisingly technically more capable than the Clouds also for granular as an effect.

The Morphagene has some overlap as it is a granular processor, but the emphasis is more of a granular looper / splicer / sound on sound.

QuBit Nebulae also has a lot of overlap with both Clouds/Arbhar and Morphagene, especially with some of the alternate instruments that people have programmed, but out of the box it is more a granular sampler.

There is also the Bastl GrandPA for an alternative granular sampler or the 2hp Grain for granular as effect. You give up stereo output and a lot of potential modulation control for the size. But they are easy both on the wallet and on the HP I you just want to dip your toes into granular and are not sure how you want to fit granular into your workflow or sound yet.

razzkazz
Common Wiggler

Post by razzkazz » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:57 am

Thanks for the reply. I am changing my setup and bit, and was thinking to try out a Monsoon, more as an experiment as it seems quite versatile. It's also not expensive, which is also a factor. I think I am going to get one. Like you say it does more than just granular. It will fulfil a supporting role in my setup, a layer to build upon, keep continuity. It will also be my only "sampler" so lets see how it works out.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:00 am

razzkazz wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:57 am
Thanks for the reply. I am changing my setup and bit, and was thinking to try out a Monsoon, more as an experiment as it seems quite versatile. It's also not expensive, which is also a factor. I think I am going to get one. Like you say it does more than just granular. It will fulfil a supporting role in my setup, a layer to build upon, keep continuity. It will also be my only "sampler" so lets see how it works out.
If it's shipping with Parasites, it will be quite a dense and weird/interesting module- def. "more than just granular". Just don't be shy about feeding it lots of modulation :)

I have a Monsoon, and quite like the sliders- they make things a lot nicer than trim pots or similar. I wish it had internal normalled smooth random on the mod inputs, but other than that, it's pretty much spot-on.

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:22 am

Just got my After Later Audio Monsoon, this will be a huge help thanks so much!
:eek:

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:28 am

Great guide. Thank you.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:58 pm

If I use the CV Mix input, it is not possible to control the mix with CV

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:58 pm

If I use the CV Mix input, it is not possible to control the mix with CV

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:50 am

Cool guide, thanks!
taylorthurlow wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 pm
[*] A pared-down vector art version of the Monsoon face plate to be used on the front cover - something like the title page from the guide you see above, but something that looks like Monsoon, not Clouds. I haven't attempted it myself yet, and I might be able to get something presentable, but vector art is decidedly not my forte. Or art in general, for that matter.
I might be able to help you out, would this work?
Monsoon-v2.jpg
Attachments
monsoon-v2.ai
(507.54 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Thedoge
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thedoge » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:57 pm

wow thank you, this is really great

Popemello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Popemello » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Thank you! Getting my Typhoon tomorrow. Much appreciated!

bluesmoke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bluesmoke » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:23 am

Terrific job, thank you for sharing it!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am

are there firmware releases which have Kammerl + parasites out there? or is it 2 separate files?

edit, nvm. seems grayscale's microcell plus the typhoon knockoffs are able to support that type of file.

flything
1-Post Wiggler

Post by flything » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 am

Ace, 100%, thanks

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 am

Thank you for this guide, it helped me a lot !
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

taylorthurlow wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:13 pm
Let me know if you find any issues, I'm sure there are some.
There seems to be some wrong info on page 24 for the Looping Delay.
"B. The DENSITY slider has no effect unless FREEZE is activated, where it creates a granular diffusion effect, based on all-pass filters."

You don't have to use FREEZE for this parameter to have effect, DENSITY works when FREEZE is off too.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 am

neaaaaaat! thanks!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Return to “Eurorack Modules”