Newbie Questions

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Newbie Questions

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:10 am

Dear All hello,
This is my first post so hopefully, I won't come out too scarred!

I am venturing from In The Box music production to the world of Eurorack Modules.

I have been researching what I will start out with and I would very much appreciate thoughts from seasoned users. I mainly wish to double-check that I'm not doubling up on gear. I realise some of this gear may overlap a little but I think they will complement each other and help me to achieve interesting rhythmic and melodic results. If this is not the done thing, sorry. Just let me know and I'll delete the post.

I love beats/rhythms and incorporating field recordings both processed and raw. I also like music which evolves changes over time. This is behind my reasons for the following choices.

At the heart of my setup are the:
Rebel Technology Stoicheia and Tonic
Make Noise Morphagene
Noise Engineering - Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Soma Lyra 8 FX

Then I selected the following for extra rhythm and melody variation options and production techniques
ALM Pamela's New Workout
Doepfer A-160-2 Clock Divider II
Doepfer A-151 Quad Sequential Switch Silver
Doepfer A-185-2 Precision Adder / Bus Access Silver
Intellijel Designs - Quad VCA
Expert Sleepers - Disting Mk4

These were chosen to connect to my speakers and interface
Befaco - Stmix
Joranalogue - Transmit 2

Thank you very much in advance.

Shadewe
Common Wiggler

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Shadewe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 am

Hello and welcome
Practicing social distancing since 1984

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:51 am

Thank you

sethlatimer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sethlatimer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 am

I think you need envelopes.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:03 am

sethlatimer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 am
Hi, okay thanks. Any recommendations?

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 am

sethlatimer wrote:
...I was thinking that I can modulate through the Disting MK4...?

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 am

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 am
sethlatimer wrote:
...I was thinking that I can modulate through the Disting MK4...?
Sorta, but one channel of modulation for all of this isn't much.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:50 am

Hello :)

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:10 am
Expert Sleepers - Disting Mk4
Get four.

Or, better still, get two Disting EX.

You won't regret it.

cheers

and

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:59 am

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:03 am
sethlatimer wrote:
Hm ... what about a Intellijel Quadra or Mutable Instruments Stages for that? If those are not too advanced for start ... my first envelope was a (single) Doepfer A-140. So you might also have a look at the A-140-2? Or ... a Maths :mrgreen:

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 am

I think Mutable Instruments Stages or Make Noise Maths would go a long way. Intellijel Quadra (or Quadrax) with the associated expander would also be a solid choice.

Each of these three has a very different ethos, but all are very flexible modules which provide good envelopes at their most basic level of operation.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:19 am

Great! Thank you Arneb, synkrotron, tdallas and ari ellis. I shall look into all these options.
Much appreciated.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:37 am

tdallas wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:59 am
wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:03 am
sethlatimer wrote:
Hm ... what about a Intellijel Quadra or Mutable Instruments Stages for that? If those are not too advanced for start ... my first envelope was a (single) Doepfer A-140. So you might also have a look at the A-140-2? Or ... a Maths :mrgreen:
Funny. I was just having this same discussion in another thread. Maths is great for so many things, but pigeonholing it primarily as an envelope generator really takes for granted its possibilities. Stages is a great option as you have the option of vanilla envelopes, or complex multi-stage envelopes. Someone in that other thread mentioned a module that I completely forgot about that I think is an excellent option - Xaoc Zadar. Provides 4 channels like the Quadra, but with WAY more modulation options and functionality.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am

Hi, agree with the envelope encouragement here. Maths is great but I would go for Stages - it can be configured many ways, has playable controls (which is where the fun lives) and is reasonably compact and well priced. The sample and hold function coupled with its LFO mode makes for a really cool little sequencer. The only downside is that you need to refer to the manual frequently to get a grasp of the modes and it’s “cleverness“ isn’t immediately obvious... PAMs, a quad VCA and Stages will yield a huge amount of controlled useful modulation.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:37 am

Hi apcuddling and MarcelP,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have decided to go for the Stages. It feels more immediate and more accessible for where I am at. Plus, it will easily stay with me as my experience grows and it can be expanded.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:51 am

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have decided to go for the Stages. It feels more immediate and more accessible for where I am at. Plus, it will easily stay with me as my experience grows and it can be expanded.
Nice pick. Mutable Instruments modules are some of my favorite. Hope you enjoy it!

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Hey, that's an interesting selection of modules ! Not often that people target Rebel Tech modules first time round... (Great modules, btw.) :tu:
I also like music which evolves changes over time.
I would say that calls for some NLC modules such as Triple Sloth.

Have fun !

smartwentcrazy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smartwentcrazy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks for posting this question and thread - I'm also (finally) getting into a physical modular synth after years of just using my Nord MicroModular. Starting from scratch and having to get everything (power supply, mounting hardwares for a case, etc.) is a fun / scary thing. And I'm trying to do it all on a very small budget for now, so the initial plan will be to try to use the MM for a lot of sound processing. My initial purchases have just been a Thomas Henry VCO Maximus, a Waveslicer, a matrix mixer and a small multiplier. I'm hoping to use the MM to send some CV and other info (LFO, clock, maybe a pitch or note info) out to my 4 module system to work its way around however I can, and then back into the MM for further processing and shaping before a final audio out. No, its not an all analog signal path, and its gonna be very very limited as a starting point, but it should still be fun. Here's to experimentation and solutions driven by new obstacles.

bradovic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bradovic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:52 pm

You surely did your research, great selection of modules. For envelopes Doepfer A-140 is great , if you want 4 check out Doepfer A-143-2.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm

apcuddling wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:51 am
wetrawlmhz wrote:

Nice pick. Mutable Instruments modules are some of my favorite. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks. Yes, I've really been enjoying the MI demos... Elements, Ripples and Shades next.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:06 pm
Hey, that's an interesting selection of modules ! Not often that people target Rebel Tech modules first time round... (Great modules, btw.) :tu:

Have fun !
Hi thank you. Well, I have to thank Mylarmelodies for his excellent demonstrations and explanations. I was blown away by the Stoicheia and what it can do and loved the pairing with Tonic. I'm a sucker for sick beats especially when one can forge experimental rhythms with accessible feet manouvers.

Okay cool, I'll check out NLC. Thank you.

This universe just seems to be about fun! Feels good to have all this new inspiration.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm

bradovic wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:52 pm
You surely did your research, great selection of modules. For envelopes Doepfer A-140 is great , if you want 4 check out Doepfer A-143-2.
Hi Bradovic, It has been fascinating diving into this universe and i'm just scratching the surface! As I was saying to Foliephonics, Mylarmelodies does some great tutorials. Also Divkid.

Thank you for the tip. I shall check it out.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:45 pm

smartwentcrazy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm
Thanks for posting this question and thread - I'm also (finally) getting into a physical modular synth after years of just using my Nord MicroModular. Starting from scratch and having to get everything (power supply, mounting hardwares for a case, etc.) is a fun / scary thing. And I'm trying to do it all on a very small budget for now, so the initial plan will be to try to use the MM for a lot of sound processing. My initial purchases have just been a Thomas Henry VCO Maximus, a Waveslicer, a matrix mixer and a small multiplier. I'm hoping to use the MM to send some CV and other info (LFO, clock, maybe a pitch or note info) out to my 4 module system to work its way around however I can, and then back into the MM for further processing and shaping before a final audio out. No, its not an all analog signal path, and its gonna be very very limited as a starting point, but it should still be fun. Here's to experimentation and solutions driven by new obstacles.
Hey Smartwentcrazy, seems like you are on it. I would imagine you can create out-there sounds with the Nord. I'll check out your modules. Congratulations and best wishes on your new path!!

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:54 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Have fun !
Yep! sold on the Triple Sloth! Thanks.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:37 pm

wetrawlmhz wrote:

Nice! It is a module that gives a great return on the time invested in it - very satisfying! :tu:

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:44 pm

Something else to consider is a simple utility mixer. They can really open up the range of sounds and gestures you can get from any given combination of modules.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”