Rack recommendations

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wetrawlmhz
Learning to Wiggle

Rack recommendations

Post by wetrawlmhz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 am

Hi All,
I am looking for my first rack. I was recommended the ACL - EVZ1 Eurorack Case 6U 84 HP but my maximal output voltage is 1102 mA +12V and the ACL is 1000mA +12V
I am researching, but extra recommendations for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to what I have on Modulgrid https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1238401.
Thanks very much.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Rack recommendations

Post by soup » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:29 pm

You probably want the eurorack forum? Frac is euro's sexy cousin.

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:46 pm

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 am
Hi All,
I am looking for my first rack. I was recommended the ACL - EVZ1 Eurorack Case 6U 84 HP but my maximal output voltage is 1102 mA +12V and the ACL is 1000mA +12V
I am researching, but extra recommendations for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to what I have on Modulgrid https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1238401.
Thanks very much.

indeed this is the frac subforum.So probably a moderator can move it to the eurorack subforum

However I dabble a bit in euro and I can recommend Doepfer's A100 P6 PSU3. It can handle 2000 mA :omg: :cloud:

The dreadbox 168 case (i have one) is also handy. it can handle 1200mA so are sort of okay or perhaps pushing it a bit.
One of its ++ is that it also has an additional 1U of utilities there.Its quite useful. have a look
https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/modular-cases/
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 am

Did you already buy the ACL case? The general advice is to allow for 20% headroom on your amperage. The ACL case only provides 1000mA on +12 so you probably wouldn't want to put more then 800mA into the case. So there is a real possibility that as the modular grid is configured your modules may not even start up, or you may damage your power supply. As @mamonu you might want to look into a Deeper case they have more power. My first case was a Mantis which is 6U 104HP with 3000mA on +12 which should be plenty of power for 208HP.

I do have some questions about your linked modulagrid? do you already own these modules? The disting EX are pretty hard to find still. I haven't gotten my pre-order yet. So might not want to build around it. For now i will assume you don't have the disting.

So then you only have a single VCO, Basimilus Iteritas Alter, which is for drums. Are you looking to build a drum case? It seems like there are lots of ways to generate patterns in this case but i'm a little confused as to what is going to make all of these sounds. You might want to stick with Pam's at first and get rid of the other clock divider, and euclidian generators. You can set the divider for each channel of Pam's. You can also have the channel be Euclidian. Make sure to update Pam's firmware so you get the quantizer as well.

Have you played around with VCV rack at all. It might help get some ideas about what pieces you will want/need in your system. How are you planning on playing this? is it going to be stand alone or controlled by some other external keyboard/midi device. What kind of sounds/music are you looking to make?

wetrawlmhz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 am

mamonu wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:46 pm
wetrawlmhz wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 am
Hi All,
Thanks very much.

indeed this is the frac subforum.So probably a moderator can move it to the eurorack subforum

However I dabble a bit in euro and I can recommend Doepfer's A100 P6 PSU3. It can handle 2000 mA :omg: :cloud:

The dreadbox 168 case (i have one) is also handy. it can handle 1200mA so are sort of okay or perhaps pushing it a bit.
One of its ++ is that it also has an additional 1U of utilities there.Its quite useful. have a look
https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/modular-cases/
OOps, sorry. I can repost in the right place. Thanks for your recommendations. I'm deciding between the Doepfer A100 P6 PSU3 and Tiptop Mantis

wetrawlmhz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 am

xntrk wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 am
Did you already buy the ACL case? The general advice is to allow for 20% headroom on your amperage. The ACL case only provides 1000mA on +12 so you probably wouldn't want to put more then 800mA into the case. So there is a real possibility that as the modular grid is configured your modules may not even start up, or you may damage your power supply. As @mamonu you might want to look into a Deeper case they have more power. My first case was a Mantis which is 6U 104HP with 3000mA on +12 which should be plenty of power for 208HP.

I do have some questions about your linked modulagrid? do you already own these modules? The disting EX are pretty hard to find still. I haven't gotten my pre-order yet. So might not want to build around it. For now i will assume you don't have the disting.

So then you only have a single VCO, Basimilus Iteritas Alter, which is for drums. Are you looking to build a drum case? It seems like there are lots of ways to generate patterns in this case but i'm a little confused as to what is going to make all of these sounds. You might want to stick with Pam's at first and get rid of the other clock divider, and euclidian generators. You can set the divider for each channel of Pam's. You can also have the channel be Euclidian. Make sure to update Pam's firmware so you get the quantizer as well.

Have you played around with VCV rack at all. It might help get some ideas about what pieces you will want/need in your system. How are you planning on playing this? is it going to be stand alone or controlled by some other external keyboard/midi device. What kind of sounds/music are you looking to make?
Hi, many thanks for your response. Very much appreciated. So yes, i'm a newbie and this is my first in-depth research into how I want to start.
So, I'm into drums and rhythms! I'm also into incorporating field recordings and processing them. I also am a complete sucker for deep rich melodies. I want the drums, melodies and field recordings to all evolve and change throughout the tracks i make. So, that was my thinking behind the Basilimus, Rebel Technology and Make noise. I want to keep the Rebel Tech modules, Basilimus and Make noise modules and build around these. I also wish to keep the Disting (whenever it arrives) and Pamela's New Workout, Stages and Quad VCA.

The others were all about helping me achieve my goal for interesting rhythms.

How would you make this collection work? I will check out VCV.

This is going to be standalone direct out to active speakers and tracked onto Logic via a Sound Devices MixPre 6.

thank you for your help.
Ross

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:45 am

I'm not recommending getting rid of the disting. I'm just mentioning that i'm not sure when they will arrive so might be hard to plan around it if you are trying to build this ASAP. Disting will help fill pretty much any hole you have in the case so it will be great.

Sorry I missed the MCO earlier. So you have 2 voices + morphagene. BIA and the MCO. BIA is only a single drum sound though.

The Stoicheia does a lot of what Pam's already does at least from my quick reading of its page on modular grid. Pam's is a euclidian sequencer you can set the pattern length and the number of notes in the pattern. So you may not need both. Pam's is really flexible and will help you clock the rest of the system as well. So i think having Pam's makes sense i'm just not sure if Stoicheia adds anything that Pam's doesn't.

What are the Doepfer modules for? You have a clock divider, a precision adder, a sequential switch, and a switched multiple. As I mentioned before Pam's can do clock divisions so might not be needed. Precision adders are generally for adding pitch CV, but i think the only way to generate pitch CV is Tonic or Pams (with new firmware quantizer). In in-rack buffered mults are generally for pitch CV as well. For gates/triggers you can use cable based mults.

If you looking for a bunch of drum sounds and samples you might want to look at squid salmple. It can play multiple samples at once (kick, snare, hats).

I think starting simple might help. Marbles + Plaits + HPO could be a good place to start. Marbles can generate drum like rhythms as well as pitch cv. Plaits is a great VCO it has lots of different sounds (even a few drum based ones) it even has its on VC(F)A in it. You can also test all this out for free in VCV rack (excluding HPO). From there you could expand to sampler + VCA/Mixer and grow from there.

der_Patchler
1-Post Wiggler

Post by der_Patchler » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:52 am

xntrk wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 am

We have here the ACL KAZU 1A permanently running at 1,2A without any problems. But you can hear a little ripple when you go over 1A. But it works with the KAZU! I read also that there will be a new KAZU with 2 A.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”