Malekko Varigate 4+ dodgy CV sequencing

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Malekko Varigate 4+ dodgy CV sequencing

Post by mgdigital » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Have just racked my new (used) Varigate 4+, and immediately noticed that when changing note values in a CV sequence, the value doesn't settle in until the second pass if set soon before the note plays for the first time:

Does this happen for others or do I have a faulty unit? Does it happen on the 8+ as well? Can it be fixed with a firmware update? Quite happy with the module otherwise but this is a fairly big annoyance.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Malekko Varigate 4+ dodgy CV sequencing

Post by synonymist » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

mgdigital wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm
Have just racked my new (used) Varigate 4+, and immediately noticed that when changing note values in a CV sequence, the value doesn't settle in until the second pass if set soon before the note plays for the first time...
Hello. That sounds about right. I'm not saying it's good; only that it's familiar. :)

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:19 am

synonymist wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm
Hello. That sounds about right. I'm not saying it's good; only that it's familiar. :)
I'm assuming it's a bug affecting all units then. I've opened a support ticket on the Malekko website, hoping for a firmware update to fix this. Not sure how it got past QA in the first place though as the issue is very apparent when using the module.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:53 pm

I've noticed the same when I had both the V8+ and the 4+. The VB also behaved similarly. I think it's a feature in their instruments. Like an added flavor of random. Some people love it! I didn't :(

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:53 pm
Some people love it! I didn't :(
Curious to hear from anyone who loves it!

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 am

Any updates on this? I was planning to get one but I'm not sure I like this "feature"...

b.aCattoday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by b.aCattoday » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 am

I definitely find the same with the 8+. After doing some reading on a different thread on muffs, I realized that a lot of people encountered this among other quirks. I decided that it’s fine for creating gate sequences, but I don’t use it for running my pitch CV. Might still be great for integrating some random modulations in your patches. I guess I’m saying don’t give up on it just yet? I’m sure you can find other ways to implement it for the time being until the right sequencer comes along!

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:25 am

I wanted it for simple pitch sequencing, so this issue would be prominent (don't know how much, tho).

prephylve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by prephylve » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm

I think it's the nature of the sliders. I have the VG 8+ and the sliders are super dodgy in general. I often have to over compensate when adjusting parameters because it will not pick up the change, then jump further as I compensate. I will say I had a much easier time with this racked horizontally rather than vertically.

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 pm

Is there a way to set the V4+ so the cv doesn’t change until the next gate? I think there is a ‘cv link’ function in the V8.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”