Opinion on ep420?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Opinion on ep420?

Post by msegarra » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am

I’m looking for a new case and I’m really tired of making my own so I’m thinking of buying the ep420 by Pittsburgh modular I’m curious if anyone has one and what they think of it if so the one concern I have is I heard there’s an issue with the screws it uses being a strange size??

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Opinion on ep420?

Post by lisa » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am

Great case! Never had an issue with any of my two EP-420 cases. Tons of power (6A!). The screws are 4-40 1/4" which is odd but 180 screws are included with the case.
New modular track with a ton of FM cross modulation and drum synthesis. 🔥

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:56 am

The case and power is superb—I have two of them.

The sliding nuts bother some more than others. I broke down this year and finally replaced them all with M2.5 strips from Pulp Logic and switched to using Knurlies. I’m very happy I did. Six strips will run you about $100 and a tin of Knurlies about $40. Due to machining inconsistencies with Vector rails, you may find yourself having to do a little filing on the strips. Or not. It’s a crap shoot. I had to file down four strips—not that big a deal, took me an hour and a half. (more: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p3267345)

Oh, you may need a few extra long power ribbons for modules at the extreme ends. The bus boards are the same length as those in the EP-360, so it can be a bit of a reach. I think Pittsburgh may include a few with the case.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:15 am

Yeah I don’t mind doing some extra work to make it work nice I’m just tired of building cases because it always seems like as soon as I finish I realize something I should have done that I then tell my I need to do on the next one lol

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am

lisa wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am
Great case! Never had an issue with any of my two EP-420 cases. Tons of power (6A!). The screws are 4-40 1/4" which is odd but 180 screws are included with the case.
Ok thanks I Imagine that’s plenty for me anyway

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 pm

I have the 270, it's been fine but I do hate the sliding nuts. Just ordered six of those Pulp Logic strips.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:41 pm

I do have a 420 and it is fantastic. There was a very in-depth (overwhelmingly positive) review on here a few weeks back, should be possible to find it using the search function

I think sliding nuts are awesome - I do take the minor inconvenience of them over the catastrophe of slightly misplaced panel screw holes everyday - in more than one case I could not transfer 1:1 my modulargrid layout to my Intellijel case because seemingly innocuous modules would not sit next to each other.

EDIT: just never ever use magnetized tools to shift the sliding nuts around
WTB: Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF, ADDAC 805v1, MakeNoise QMMG

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:03 pm

They case is awesome. Lots of power as everyone mentioned. I hate the sliding nuts but it only matters when you are moving stuff around so it isn't that bad.

Has anyone found good washer to use? The first washers I bought are way too thick. They were specifically for #4-40 screws but they are .03 inches thick. They work with most modules but Mutable instruments and Joranalogue have had issues because their panels seems slightly thicker. I tried a washer off of a Knurlie and it worked. So I ordered some M3 washers of 1mm thickness which will hopefully solve the problem.

I ordered hex thumbscrews of a few different lengths to help but they have been sitting in China for the past 3 weeks :(

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:06 pm

xntrk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:03 pm
They case is awesome. Lots of power as everyone mentioned. I hate the sliding nuts but it only matters when you are moving stuff around so it isn't that bad.

Has anyone found good washer to use? The first washers I bought are way too thick. They were specifically for #4-40 screws but they are .03 inches thick. They work with most modules but Mutable instruments and Joranalogue have had issues because their panels seems slightly thicker. I tried a washer off of a Knurlie and it worked. So I ordered some M3 washers of 1mm thickness which will hopefully solve the problem.

I ordered hex thumbscrews of a few different lengths to help but they have been sitting in China for the past 3 weeks :(
I *think* I got washers for 2.5 mm screws from Perfect Circuit - in any case the ones I have are really thin.
WTB: Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF, ADDAC 805v1, MakeNoise QMMG

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Oh one other thing. Wanted to elaborate on what @mdoudoroff said about the busboards. They are shorter than the case. If you are buying the case new you will get long ribbon cables (the 10x16 ones). But if you need 16x16 on the bottom right or left you might have to buy those on your own. I picked some up some 30cm ones on amazon for $5. I had an issue trying to put the ES-9 in the bottom right corner because of this.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm

xntrk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Has anyone found good washer to use?
I got the Frap Tools washers. Very expensive but soft so they work with any front plate thickness.

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:42 pm

McMaster-Carr has washers that work well;

90295A360 Nylon Plastic Washer, for No. 4 Screw Size, 0.12" ID, 0.22" OD, Black, Packs of 100

I love my ep420, the only “complaint“ I have is that Morphagene and Mimeophon were noticeably noisier (had to move to skiff). Also I covered the interior metal vertical support rails with electrical tape just to protect module pcbs at the end of each row.

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Rooter Tooter wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:42 pm
I love my ep420, the only “complaint“ I have is that Morphagene and Mimeophon were noticeably noisier (had to move to skiff). Also I covered the interior metal vertical support rails with electrical tape just to protect module pcbs at the end of each row.
@lisa I'll have to check those out.

@"rooter tooter" do you have a rene as well? Rene makes noise every time the gate lights blink. I haven't heard any noise from my Mimeophone though. Not sure if it matters which bus board they are attached to. My rene is on the same board as my headphone out (Listen four). My mimeophone is on a different bustard though.

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:36 pm

I have a Rene 2 but it’s always been in a Make Noise skiff in front of the ep420 so I couldn’t say for sure. I did a pretty deep dive trying to root out noise in my system... My situation turned out to be the noise from the two Make Noise modules AND a noisy preamp (an A Designs Pacifica, the last thing in my signal chain that I thought would be noisy). I tried the bus board re-arrange but it got a little too intense and upsetting to my flow so I just switched out modules from skiff.

A kind wiggler just hipped me to the Trogotronic m05 Silencer which seems like a definite buy as I’d like to put the Morphogene back in the 420...

The only other module that I’ve had any noise issues with in the ep420 is recording live samples directly into the STS but that could be user error/ gain staging that’s too hot (I usually edit samples in PT then import on SD card).

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 am

xntrk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 pm
@lisa I'll have to check those out.
Do that! I just bought another set so now I'm only using these washers. Never any issues. Washers are a necessity in my view but I don't want to think too much about it. :)

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am

I have one and I'm very pleased with the build quality, and I've had it completely full, but never noticed any noise issues. (I don't have too many digital modules, however.) The biggest challenge with sliding nuts is to remember to hide "extra" ones under modules throughout the row, in case you want to, say, swap a big module out for two smaller ones.

Having said all that, I recently came to the realization that I am more productive with a couple of smaller, focused cases than with one big one. I would sometimes get overwhelmed with such a large setup. But that's obviously my hangup and it has nothing to do with the case.

I plan to try to sell the case soon, but first I have to figure out the logistics. I really don't want to ship something that big.

xntrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xntrk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm

@lisa a day or two after you suggested the frap tools washers I got my first frap tools module. Which came with there washers. Worked like a charm. Ordering a few hundred now. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”