Newbie seeking advice on using Minibrute 2S as main controller for Eurorack...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Newbie seeking advice on using Minibrute 2S as main controller for Eurorack...

Post by jeffb01 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Greetings. This is my first post.

First, my Eurorack vision is to make a complete instrument. I'm looking to create a Eurorack version somewhere between a Buchla easel and Reason's Complex-1. Here's what I was thinking:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1232082

The only thing I'm 100% committed to is the Endorphin.es Shuttle System (I already [just] bought it - and love it). Right now, using shuttle control, I can add 16 LFOs/envelopes/sequences using Bitwig, but again, my vision is a complete instrument.

I was thinking an Arturia Minibrute might be a good control center as it has that button keyboard, a good sequencer (from what I hear), and an extra oscillator and envelope and lfo. Also, it seems to be reasonably priced. Alternatives would be a Eurorack sequencer like Rene or Ground Control or whatever...

My questions are:
1. Do you recommend an Arturia Minibrute 2s (with 6U case) as a control center for this Eurorack? Pros and cons?
2. What modules do you think would compliment the shuttle system/minbrute 2s combination (if I go that route). I would like an oscilloscope and a speaker (if possible, but those do seem hard to find)... edit: This second row likely won't come for a while...

Thank you so much. I'm excited for this journey...

Jeff B

Thanks for any advice.

ps: I posted a similar thread on the modular grid forum. I hope that's not bad etiquette, but I'm really hoping for thoughts/advice from more experienced users before I get my Father's Day gift.

xntrk
Common Wiggler

Re: Newbie seeking advice on using Minibrute 2S as main controller for Eurorack...

Post by xntrk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 am

I have a minibrute 2s. It was the first thing i bought when i was getting into modular. It does has a lot of functionality you it can add to a smaller modular system at a pretty good price.

I think it really depends on how you want to sequence things. If you want to use bitwig and the shuttle that seems like a reasonable option. I think a lot of the computer based sequencers are probably a bit easier to use because the UIs are much better than hardware sequencers generally. If you do want to get out of the computer minibrute has a good sequencer. there are 4 sequencer outputs 1 is pitch one is gate the other two are configurable. typically would be another pitch and gate. So that gets you 2 channels. Is that enough for what you are planning?

In Rack sequencing is your other option. I have a Rene 2. It's an interesting sequencer I haven't explored all the dimension stuff. I find Rene a little underwhelming without the addition of something that can generate rhythmic gates like Steppy. Doing this inside of Rene alone is very tedious.

I haven't seen or used a rackbrute before but I would consider buying some other type of stand alone case. You can get a tiptop mantis 208 total HP or the Behringer go 280 total HP for about the same price if not cheaper.

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Newbie seeking advice on using Minibrute 2S as main controller for Eurorack...

Post by jeffb01 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:51 pm

xntrk wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 am
I have a minibrute 2s. It was the first thing i bought when i was getting into modular. It does has a lot of functionality you it can add to a smaller modular system at a pretty good price.

I think it really depends on how you want to sequence things. If you want to use bitwig and the shuttle that seems like a reasonable option. I think a lot of the computer based sequencers are probably a bit easier to use because the UIs are much better than hardware sequencers generally. If you do want to get out of the computer minibrute has a good sequencer. there are 4 sequencer outputs 1 is pitch one is gate the other two are configurable. typically would be another pitch and gate. So that gets you 2 channels. Is that enough for what you are planning?

In Rack sequencing is your other option. I have a Rene 2. It's an interesting sequencer I haven't explored all the dimension stuff. I find Rene a little underwhelming without the addition of something that can generate rhythmic gates like Steppy. Doing this inside of Rene alone is very tedious.

I haven't seen or used a rackbrute before but I would consider buying some other type of stand alone case. You can get a tiptop mantis 208 total HP or the Behringer go 280 total HP for about the same price if not cheaper.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your insight. It's good to hear your thoughts on Rene, and I will probably not go that route as a result. Honestly, I will probably do 80% of my sequencing in Bitwig, but I would like a stand alone sequencer for that other 20% - and I imagine the Minibrute sequencer, as you described, would be perfect for that 20%. If I buy the Minibrute 2s, I would have to buy the Rackbrute, as I want it all in one attached system. Though if I go the rack sequencing route, I might go for one of the racks you suggested. Thank you again.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Just thought I’d chime in. I built my main rack out before buying a 2S. I then felt like I just had to add the 6U RackBrute. I’ve been very happy with both purchases. The RackBrute is a great way to get in to modular, too. I think though that, had I started out with it instead of my larger case, I’d have pretty quickly been looking for options to expand.

The 2S does handle sequencing very well. I bet you’ll have a lot of fun with it!
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:13 pm

MB2S was my first foray into the modular concept and now I have a 12u setup. It is great for the patchability into your modular and the sequencer is full featured (for onboard uses) and immediate. However, I find it's a bit limited for sequencing modular gear if you also intend to use the onboard voice. For me it's an all or nothing approach - either use the sequencer fully for onboard or fully for modular. Otherwise you're not really getting everything out of it. There's also some major limitations such as the inability for the auxiliary sequencer channels to be separated off to a different midi channel.

What I ended up doing after noticing the limitations is purchasing a MI yarns. I usually program all of my sequences on the MB2S because it's 10x more immediate than the Yarns, but then copy everything to Yarns to play the sequence on my rackbrute.

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:23 am

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm
Just thought I’d chime in. I built my main rack out before buying a 2S. I then felt like I just had to add the 6U RackBrute. I’ve been very happy with both purchases. The RackBrute is a great way to get in to modular, too. I think though that, had I started out with it instead of my larger case, I’d have pretty quickly been looking for options to expand.

The 2S does handle sequencing very well. I bet you’ll have a lot of fun with it!
psienide wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:13 pm
MB2S was my first foray into the modular concept and now I have a 12u setup. It is great for the patchability into your modular and the sequencer is full featured (for onboard uses) and immediate. However, I find it's a bit limited for sequencing modular gear if you also intend to use the onboard voice. For me it's an all or nothing approach - either use the sequencer fully for onboard or fully for modular. Otherwise you're not really getting everything out of it. There's also some major limitations such as the inability for the auxiliary sequencer channels to be separated off to a different midi channel.

What I ended up doing after noticing the limitations is purchasing a MI yarns. I usually program all of my sequences on the MB2S because it's 10x more immediate than the Yarns, but then copy everything to Yarns to play the sequence on my rackbrute.
Wow. I'm happy to hear such positive responses. Sounds like it will be fun. Here's my new plan, based on these responses. I will pick up the MB2s and 6uRB, which gives me a whole row to fill into what I consider to be a pretty complete system already. The plan will be that if I want to expand after that, I will replace the MB2s with another 6uRB to give me 12U.

Psienide, I plan to sequence for the modular, but couldn't I use a buffered multiple to send to both? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this...

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 am

The mb2s is a great way to start off! You will probably want an effects module and some Logic modules and multiple modules (or stackables). Then you would probably want some mixing/vca options (especially if your effects unit can do some kinda voice).

The sequencer is awesome - do explore seperating Gates and pitch so they don/t follow the same division e.g. or direction. That makes everything very interesting. I also think an addition like MI Grids is a really good way to proceed for interesting rythms!

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:31 am

Cpaf wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 am
The mb2s is a great way to start off! You will probably want an effects module and some Logic modules and multiple modules (or stackables). Then you would probably want some mixing/vca options (especially if your effects unit can do some kinda voice).

The sequencer is awesome - do explore seperating Gates and pitch so they don/t follow the same division e.g. or direction. That makes everything very interesting. I also think an addition like MI Grids is a really good way to proceed for interesting rythms!
Great tip on separating gates and pitch. I can't wait to play with it. I have one effect available with the Endorphin.es shuttle system and have stackable cords, but plan to buy a buffered multiple for pitch stuff. Not sure about logic modules - what do you recommend? Is it in the shuttle system?

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 am

Psienide, I plan to sequence for the modular, but couldn't I use a buffered multiple to send to both? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this...
You can certainly - and you wouldn't even really need to mult, since the seq track outs are normaled to the internal voice and you don't break that connection when patching out. It's a good start - I started out using the two aux tracks to gate and pitch of my modular for the basslines and got far enough. I just found that I needed another sequencer to get the most out of both and have two distinct voices for bass and leads. I also have 3 voices in the rackbrute that I use with it, so the MB2 just wasn't enough to control all that and have distinct parts.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:33 am

IMO best approach is just to try and see if it fits your workflow. I started with a simple oscillator and filter in the rackbrute and grew from there. You can use the MB2 VCA and envelopes for the modular voice until you really need another one.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:42 pm

jeffb01 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:31 am
Cpaf wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 am

Great tip on separating gates and pitch. I can't wait to play with it. I have one effect available with the Endorphin.es shuttle system and have stackable cords, but plan to buy a buffered multiple for pitch stuff. Not sure about logic modules - what do you recommend? Is it in the shuttle system?
The MI Kinks is a great option! If you want to be a bit more deep then Intellijel Plog is an obvious candidate. But it really depends alot on what you are after maybe you don't need more than OR and AND fx :)

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Thanks for the tips. Kinks and Plog are on my list to choose from down the line, depending on needs and available hp. I feel like I'm learning to swim by jumping in the deep end...

The MB2s comes Wednesday. I will report back...

Wretches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wretches » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:07 am

Probably a basic question but is there a way to have the sequencer patched to your rack and simultaneously have one steady tone coming out of the onboard voice that's not being effected by the sequencer?

Wretches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wretches » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:13 am

Or have a different sequence going to the inboard synth then what's going to your rack?sorry for the double post)

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:30 am

Wretches wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:07 am
Probably a basic question but is there a way to have the sequencer patched to your rack and simultaneously have one steady tone coming out of the onboard voice that's not being effected by the sequencer?
totally. Just patch a cable into the pitch jack (top left jack) in the 2s. It can be a dummy cable (not plugged into anything else).

edit: and to avoid the gate, just wire the output of whatever waveform you want into wherever you want it.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:06 am

I have a Minibrute 2S and a MPC One. Have you considered the MPC One. The MPC One has more options and 8 CV outputs. The Minibrute is a lot of fun but it's so large and has minimum outputs to sequence compared to the MPC One. Of course the Minibrute 2S has its own analog full voice, filter, lfo etc. I can record into the MPC one without a computer which makes it convenient and is more GF approved due to size. When I do use my computer I use the Expert Sleepers ES8 to connect it to my computer and use VCV rack. I've heard good things about Bitwig though!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”