Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 pm

I've really enjoyed using the wonderful Hemisphere firmware for Ornament & Crime. One of the reasons I replaced my Disting Mk.4 with a uO&C was because I wanted to switch to an open platform (and to be honest, the other reason is because I taught myself that powering on your case without noticing your Disting isn't screwed down and is shorted against its neighbor is unwise.) Hemisphere is open-sourced and available on Github just like the original O&C firmware, and I liked the existing applets so much I started tweaking the code and developing my own applets for fun. The hemisphere applet code "API" is nicely done and fun to work with :)

The O&C module excels at CV and gate manipulations, and is an excellent quantizer. My favorite modules are 'assistants' for creating arpeggios and melodies, especially the TuringMachine/ShiftRegister with quantization. Based on my preferences and some excellent ideas on the main Hemisphere thread here on these forums, I have a couple of Hemisphere applets that are ready to share, Stairs and TB-3PO.

Stairs is a stepped, clocked voltage generator based on the Noise Engineering Clep Diaz's 'step' and 'rand' modes. On each input clock pulse, the output voltage advances to the next 'step,' where the first step is always 0v and the last always 5v, with even voltage divisions on the intermediate steps. It's a fun way to drive your sampler like RadioMusic, act as a trigger-advanced LFO, or divide up an attenuator into stepped intermediate values.

TB-3PO is a TB-303 style, pitch CV and gate pattern generator robot, capable of fixed-time, exponential slides on the pitch CV for that secret TB sauce. It will do mono-pitched style 303 lines on one end, or full-range, Turing Machine style stuff on the other, all designed and tuned for musicality and calls/responses in live wiggling. I've had a lot of fun tuning and playing with this one.

Additionally there are a couple of tweaks to existing applets:

- Step5: Holding reset input high will suppress clock triggers, similar to an analogue sequencer

- ShiftRegister (Turing Machine): An output range parameter has been added, allowing you to constrain the pitch output range from 1-32 scale notes instead of always having a range of 32.

The downside? Unfortunately, as has been discussed on the main Hemisphere thread, the Official firmware already just about fills all of the device's available program memory. In order to make new applets, some code has to be cut out. I chose to disable the full app, Captain MIDI to make room, in large part because in my setup I don't need a USB-MIDI converter, as well done as it is. It wouldn't be a huge deal to restore that and free up room by removing different apps, but it unfortunately precludes extending the official firmware wholesale. From what I can tell, I think the official Hemisphere Suite is mostly 'done' so it seemed appropriate to not bug the creator with this stuff. That said, all of these changes are also available on Github for anyone to use.

Please note that this is an "unofficial" branch of Hemisphere Suite, and I'd recommend the official branch here if you're looking for the tried & true version:
viewtopic.php?t=203576

For the "logarhythm branch" the Hex files and the source code are available here, for anyone interested! I don't plan to do much more but wanted to share these since I enjoy them and am very grateful to everyone for the ideas. There is detailed documentation for each applet on the Wiki there.

Version 0.85 is the latest release as of 2020/06/27:
https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-Hemi ... s/tag/0.85

Thank you so much to everyone who worked on this module, including the original O&C team mxmxmx, pld, bennylong.bicyclist, Chysn for Hemisphere, and Émilie Gillet for its open sourced foundations. I am so grateful to everyone who has open-sourced their hardware and software designs so we can all learn from and modify them to our hearts' content.
Last edited by Logarhythm on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:55 pm

Tb-3PO and Stairs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 pm

You can’t see it but the revised ShiftReg is handling the “drums” in this little jam I cooked up today. Gotta explore the other apps, TB-3PO is especially intriguing with that “density” parameter!

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:51 pm

That's great, thanks for sharing!

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:01 pm

thanks!
the mod makes a big difference in not letting them go all over the place (IIRC this is a 7 note scale I chose so with 5bit output it would span nearly 5 octaves which is...too much!). I guess in regular Hemisphere one could use the regular ShifReg and use the other half as a quantizer but this makes it a really densely-featured little TM in basically 4hp.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 am

Does "Stairs" have a reset or BOC gate?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

qiemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qiemem » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 am

Oh hell yes, this is awesome. The tweak to ShiftReg I've always wanted, a modulation source I've been ping after, AND a pitch/gate generator with integrated flourishes?? :yay: :hail: This would be an insta-install for any one of the additions, much less all four.

Quick question on TB-3PO: The density parameter is super useful. However, as far as I can tell, it only takes effect when you change seed. Is there a way to get it to take effect when the loop restarts or in realtime?

qiemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qiemem » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am

Phitar wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 am
Looks like Out B is a BOC pulse: https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-Hemi ... iki/Stairs

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am

Really cool - I've been hoping someone would do something like this as I don't use any of the full apps within Hemisphere (Capt. Midi, Darkest Timeline etc.). Stairs looks particularly useful to me.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:06 pm

qiemem wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am
Phitar wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 am
Looks like Out B is a BOC pulse: https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-Hemi ... iki/Stairs
Cool. Will take time now that I'm off work to take an indepth look at it instead of just posting hasty questions in the last 30 seconds of my lunch break. :guinness:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Really cool, will def. try! Thanks!

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks for checking this out everyone!
qiemem wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 am
Quick question on TB-3PO: The density parameter is super useful. However, as far as I can tell, it only takes effect when you change seed. Is there a way to get it to take effect when the loop restarts or in realtime?
The Density parameter will "apply" on any reset input pulse, but the seed will remain unchanged if you've locked it with the encoder. You can do this without an external reset trig pulse by setting the seed to the Lock icon (so it won't change with reset pulses) and then turning the encoder right once more. It'll bounce the heart to show you that the pattern has reset. Alternately when set to the die icon, you can turn the encoder left once more to reset AND choose a new seed (heart AND die will bounce.)

Die/seed icon:
(Reset & New Seed) <---- [Die icon (will reset pattern new seed on reset pulse] <----> [Lock icon (reset pulse only resets the step)] ----> (Reset step)

Usually I'll control density with CV coming from an attenuverter knob and have a clock divider periodically feeding in reset pulses (to trig input 2) every 32 or 64 clocks. That way, when I discover a pattern I like, I lock the seed and get a bar or two of the pattern playing at a given Density before it gets the reset pulse and applies it. That lets you do calls & responses and buildups/breakdowns between density variants at the same seed, on bar divisions. Maybe it makes sense to apply density automatically when the pattern loops rather than only on reset pulses?

Similarly, the scale controls the number of pitches per octave that will be in the grab bag for the pattern to use, so you'll hear differences if changing the scale live between scales that have different counts.

I've had fun supplying the transpose CV in with attenuated output from a low-frequency random module, in my case the Zlob Diode Chaos. I'm excited to see what people end up patching.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:48 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
Really cool - I've been hoping someone would do something like this as I don't use any of the full apps within Hemisphere (Capt. Midi, Darkest Timeline etc.). Stairs looks particularly useful to me.
Thanks! I live in the Hemisphere App exclusively too, and the idea of a custom Clep Diaz suggested by somebody in the official Hemisphere thread is what got me interested in the first place.

qiemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qiemem » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Logarhythm wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 pm
Maybe it makes sense to apply density automatically when the pattern loops rather than only on reset pulses?
Thank you for the great explanation! Totally makes sense now. After playing with it for a bit, I think I would personally prefer either applying on loop or, even better, in realtime. That way, you could easily explore density using just the encoder without having to hop around a bunch or use another clock source. You could still get the old behavior with a S&H or just a slow running sequencer or whatever.

Nitpicks of workflow aside, this mode absolutely rocks :sb: I feel like almost everything I get out of it is super groovy, and the little flourishes really bring the lines to life. Thank you so much for releasing it!

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 pm

All righty then! Decided to go ahead and load this up but figured since I have a dead uO_C sitting on the bench waiting on a new Teensy brain why not knock both out at the same time?

So here she is with her new brain and with new Logarhythm Hemispheres. Just needs a post repair bath and get her clothes back on and she'll be ready for Wiggle-Time!

:twisted:
IMG_0417.JPG
(not sure why that is sideways but what the hell)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am

Had a chance to work with it a bit this AM. I am most interested in the Stairs Ap as I was seriously planning on ordering another Clep Diaz this weekend.

Hooked up the scope to compare ouputs of Stairs and the Clep. Here the Clep is on Bottom, Hemisphere Stairs on top. Synced up using their reset inputs. Stairs with 1 step has no output, Stair with two steps gives 1 step on the output so there is a step counting offset. In the photos Clep is set for 5 steps while Stairs is set to 6 to match up.
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG

No bi-polar or LFO option on Stairs but that's no big deal for me right now. This gives me the extra Clep I was looking to get. Hell! it gives me TWO!

:hail:

Many thanks!

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:57 pm

:cloud: Oh this is great! I have no use for captain midi, and I've been looking for a stair function. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks a lot for sharing this!
Hopefully it's not a malware to steal my CVs remotely... :omg:

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:23 pm

qiemem wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:00 pm
After playing with it for a bit, I think I would personally prefer either applying on loop or, even better, in realtime. That way, you could easily explore density using just the encoder without having to hop around a bunch or use another clock source. You could still get the old behavior with a S&H or just a slow running sequencer or whatever.
That's a good point about it being difficult to use Density with just the encoder, if it requires a reset to take effect. The current functionality grew more out of the way it's implemented under the hood than from a particular usability consideration, and I've definitely settled into just using it the one way with a clock divider. I'll have a play around with it, thanks very much for the ideas! :tu:

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Phitar wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am
Hooked up the scope to compare ouputs of Stairs and the Clep.
Thanks for the screenshots, that's super cool to see! I've built most of my own modules and laid out a couple of boards, but I still need to get a scope. I don't actually have a Clep Diaz so the way Stairs works is mostly guesswork based on things like Ricky Tinez's Youtube video and the manual. Mostly I was interested in being able to try out the whole concept because it seemed really useful.
Phitar wrote:
Stairs with 1 step has no output, Stair with two steps gives 1 step on the output so there is a step counting offset.
So when it was first implemented, Stairs' display counted from zero to "number of steps minus one" to emulate the Clep's binary display, but the way Stairs would display e.g. 0/16 started to become really confusing, especially when being reset with sequencers like TB-303, which naturally count from one. It seemed a better fit for this kind of readout to count from one, though I recognize it pulls it further from a straight emulation of the clep.
Phitar wrote:
No bi-polar or LFO option on Stairs but that's no big deal for me right now.
Since each Hemisphere applet has two outputs to work with, I opted to do the unipolar 0-5v CV on A and the BOC pulse on B. In addition, emulating the Clep's bipolar output isn't fully possible because the O&C hardware is limited to the range -3V to 6v, whereas the Clep does -5v to 5v.

Thank you so much for trying it out and for the feedback. It's been great to see other people finding this useful :)

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Is it possible to compile a flipped version?

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

sagecircuits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sagecircuits » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:41 am

Was playing with TB-3PO this evening and man it's so easy to get lost in and just jam. I had TB-3PO on one side and BootsNCat on the other which was super fun to jam with. Thank you!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 am

Thank you so much for your work on this!
Is there any possibility you could increase the possible steps on TB-3PO and Turing machines to 32 steps instead of limited to 16?
I would even sacrifice on of the other modes if these could be 32 steps.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am

I tested out having TB-3PO's 'density' parameter applying immediately, and there's no doubt it's much more useful and less confusing that way! Thanks for the idea qiemem! :banana: Now, both density and scale changes apply to the pattern itself on every clock. It means you don't need to apply a reset pulse (and reset the pattern) to hear those changes, and opens up some pretty sweet live manipulation via the density cv :sb:

I posted a new version 0.8 with this change on github, linked on the first post here. It only has that one change to TB-3PO but I think it improves it considerably. There is also a FLIP_180 build for upside-down mounted O&C modules, so only grab that one if that's what you actually want :)

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am

The hemispheres thread has a ton of suggestions that the OG dev chrysn was interested in, but ran out of space to implement. It would be neat if this alternate branch implemented them.
New video on the MN Shared System:
Make Noise Shared System Tutorial 1: Patch Backwards

Return to “Eurorack Modules”