Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 pm

swordsreversed wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:16 am
Yes, here's a little video showing the behaviour. Note the CV icon flashing/solid even with no CV input. Perhaps my unit is wonky?
(I think you forgot the video link?)

TB-3PO uses the same CV input read functions as other applets, so that's odd. The main difference is that it will show the CV icon when it's detected as nonzero. Do you see similar behavior with Stairs? Maybe try the Scope applet and see if it's picking up anything.

If you don't mind, maybe try a user data reset from the Settings full application? This won't affect your calibration if you don't choose to reset calibration explicitly. It's possible that saved data on the module is being loaded incorrectly and is causing issues if you changed from another firmware to Hemipshere suite / Logarhythm branch for the first time, especially.

If you see nonzero CV turning up in all applets then maybe it's hardware, but I'm guessing it's a matter of the user data state (other people seem to have fixed similar issues and crashes, etc with user data resets and teensy reloads in stock Hemispheres and this branch.)

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Could someone please point me to examples/videos (or if they had the time do one for a dummy) of the TB-3PO?

Im more of a bloop bloop kinda guy so I went with the Temps and avoided the O_C but this thread really has me interested in getting a uO_c

Cheers for any advice/help!

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Version 0.92 is now available, linked from the first post. It adds a couple of new features and bug fixes:

TB-3PO: The 'root note' parameter can now be set with the encoder in a range of 6 octaves instead of a single range of C to B. This octave transpose is not saved for space reasons. The root pitch (without octave) is saved as before. (Thanks to muffwiggler user recliq for suggesting this feature!)

TB-3PO: Bug fix: The 'cv' icon indicator for the 'density' input was bypassing noise filtering, and so could show when not intended depending on calibration/hardware of a particular module. Now the icon is displayed after noise filtering, and the same noise filtering is applied to the CV input itself near 0v (beyond the simple clamping to integer density values it was doing before.) This may improve density cv display and handling on hardware that's noisier than mine happens to be. (Thanks to chysn for noting this!)

Quantizer scales: Some musically useful equal-temperment scales have been added to the set of available quantizer scales. They come from the Disting Mk.4 and are mostly intended to help with constraining generative music applets. They appear at the end of the list, just before the USER scales. These include:
Major/Minor Triad, Maj/Min Triad + 6th, Maj/Min Triad +7th, root+5th, root +5th+6th, root +5th+7th, and Harmonic Minor. Other scales from the Disting already appear in the O&C set.

Bug Fix: The Voltage applet was not available in the list of Hemisphere applets. The applet count has been updated to be correct and Voltage is available again.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 pm

swordsreversed wrote:
Yes, here's a little video showing the behaviour. Note the CV icon flashing/solid even with no CV input. Perhaps my unit is wonky?
Please give version 0.92 a go-- the noise handling around 0v should be more robust now. I think my module happens to be particularly quiet on CV input noise so I'm not positive, but this might improve things for you.

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Great news and very apreciated. :yay: I will update as soon as possible! Keep up this great work.
Thank you!

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:51 am

The TB-3PO is so much fun, thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into it!
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Logarhythm: hiya!!!
Sorry if these questions have been answered before.
Do TB-3PO sequence/settings get saved with the right encoder hold?

Is there any way to get the CV Recorder applet data to save? How much extra memory would that require?

swordsreversed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swordsreversed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:48 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 pm
swordsreversed wrote:
(I think you forgot the video link?)

TB-3PO uses the same CV input read functions as other applets, so that's odd. The main difference is that it will show the CV icon when it's detected as nonzero. Do you see similar behavior with Stairs? Maybe try the Scope applet and see if it's picking up anything.

If you don't mind, maybe try a user data reset from the Settings full application? This won't affect your calibration if you don't choose to reset calibration explicitly. It's possible that saved data on the module is being loaded incorrectly and is causing issues if you changed from another firmware to Hemipshere suite / Logarhythm branch for the first time, especially.

If you see nonzero CV turning up in all applets then maybe it's hardware, but I'm guessing it's a matter of the user data state (other people seem to have fixed similar issues and crashes, etc with user data resets and teensy reloads in stock Hemispheres and this branch.)

oh damn, the embed didnt work

awesome, thanks for these tips. i bought it secondhand and loaded hemisphere on myself. haven't done any maintenance before so i'll try these out.

Len9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Len9 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:55 am

These applet additions are GREAT!

After successfully installing Logarhythm, my display went a bit haywire.
The horizontal striations change with the adjacent screen data.
Has anyone experienced anything like this with O_c?
I have changed firmware on mine a few times without incident.
Logarhythm v.92 was the first Logarhythm version I installed.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm

rayultine wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Logarhythm: hiya!!!
Sorry if these questions have been answered before.
Do TB-3PO sequence/settings get saved with the right encoder hold?

Is there any way to get the CV Recorder applet data to save? How much extra memory would that require?
Hi rayultine :)

TB-3PO will save the current seed, scale, root pitch (except for the octave offset,) and density (encoder-set point) parameters. Since the pattern is generated deterministically based on the seed, you'll keep the pattern when loading the hemisphere saved state. What's more, you can write down any seed you like and enter it manually to return to favorite patterns as well.

The CV recorder applet looks like it effectively uses 384 32-bit (in a 2x384 array of 16-bit) values, and unfortunately the Hemisphere app saves just 1 32-bit value for each of the two current hemispheres' states. Any more memory than that would most likely have to be taken from other full applications in the suite. Unfortunately I don't know much more than that about how the memory is being divvied up internally.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:12 pm

swordsreversed wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:48 am
awesome, thanks for these tips. i bought it secondhand and loaded hemisphere on myself. haven't done any maintenance before so i'll try these out.
If version 0.92 doesn't work better for you, you might consider recalibrating your unit if you can, since you don't know its build history necessarily.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Len9 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:55 am
These applet additions are GREAT!

After successfully installing Logarhythm, my display went a bit haywire.
I have changed firmware on mine a few times without incident.
Logarhythm v.92 was the first Logarhythm version I installed.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sorry there's an issue, I haven't seen anything like this myself. This firmware is using the same graphics routines as the other firmwares (Hemispheres, Stock O&C) so I'm not sure what could be different here. If you load your prior firmware back on does everything look normal?

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Len9 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:55 am
FWIW there is a long-standing, but sporadic issue where the o_C screen gets scrambled. It's usually a lot more corrupted than that though, oddly enough the display content often flips upside down...

It's fixed in this branch amongst other things but since that's untested and not made its way upstream, it's not going to be in Hemispheres nor this branch either. The glitch usually only manifests when compiling with a newer Teensyduino version -- hence the specific recommended version -- but the root cause is apps using more than the allocated processing time, compounded by "this should never happen" ;)
Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm
The CV recorder applet looks like it effectively uses 384 32-bit (in a 2x384 array of 16-bit) values, and unfortunately the Hemisphere app saves just 1 32-bit value for each of the two current hemispheres' states. Any more memory than that would most likely have to be taken from other full applications in the suite. Unfortunately I don't know much more than that about how the memory is being divvied up internally.
There's only 2K of non-volatile memory total, minus calibration data, with IIRC 1536 bytes available for all app data. So that's probably not going to fit...

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:53 pm

pld wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:41 pm
Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm
There's only 2K of non-volatile memory total, minus calibration data, with IIRC 1536 bytes available for all app data. So that's probably not going to fit...
Yeah, that's a lot of VERY precious space.
I have been having so much fun with the CV recorder lately. I use Shades DC output->o_C quantizer (either the other hemisphere or Quantermain on my other o_C) and an FSR into the CV recorder. Dial in the quantized pitch and tap the FSR to advance the step. So sad to kill those melodies when I shut down.

oh my gosh. I could save and reprogram by sampling the completed sequence using the DC coupled inputs of the bitbox mk2.

Len9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Len9 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:22 pm
Sorry there's an issue, I haven't seen anything like this myself. This firmware is using the same graphics routines as the other firmwares (Hemispheres, Stock O&C) so I'm not sure what could be different here. If you load your prior firmware back on does everything look normal?
After experiencing the issue, I went back to original Hemispheres with no luck.
I then went back to Hemipshperes Logarhythm again, and the issue persisted.
I'll give it a shot with stock O&C for the sake of being thorough, but I'm sure going to stay with Hemipshperes Logarhythm ;)

Len9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Len9 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 am

pld wrote:
FWIW there is a long-standing, but sporadic issue where the o_C screen gets scrambled. It's usually a lot more corrupted than that though, oddly enough the display content often flips upside down...

It's fixed in this branch amongst other things but since that's untested and not made its way upstream, it's not going to be in Hemispheres nor this branch either. The glitch usually only manifests when compiling with a newer Teensyduino version -- hence the specific recommended version -- but the root cause is apps using more than the allocated processing time, compounded by "this should never happen" ;)
Thanks for the info!
By "sporadic", does it some and go, or once it manifests, it stays?

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 am

Sure thats not a hardware issue? That doesn't look like something you'd se happen because of software.. Might want to reflow/reseat the pins to your screen and/or try another teensy3.2..

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:10 am

Len9 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 am
Thanks for the info!
By "sporadic", does it some and go, or once it manifests, it stays?
Sporadic as in it's generally unpredictable as to when it will appear. But when it does, only a power cycle helps.
As mentioned, the cases I've seen don't look much like your screenshot -- it tends to be more garbled content, often upside down, and may freeze entirely (at least the display). So it may be a separate issue.

forrest wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 am
Sure thats not a hardware issue? That doesn't look like something you'd se happen because of software.. Might want to reflow/reseat the pins to your screen and/or try another teensy3.2..
The screen is updating at around 16.6/8=2.2KHz so any glitches can be interesting.
In theory one could leverage the effects to get grayscale out of the mono display ;)

Len9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Len9 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am

forrest wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 am
not sure at all... just seeing what the consensus is before I go down the "test everything" route.
Perhaps just a coincidence that the issue appeared after a firmware change.
Great suggestions to start with. Thanks!

Len9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Len9 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 am

pld wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:10 am
The screen is updating at around 16.6/8=2.2KHz so any glitches can be interesting.
In theory one could leverage the effects to get grayscale out of the mono display ;)
HA! that's precisely how it appears!
The levels of gray are determined by adjacent screen data.
It's certainly readable (not garbled or corrupted), just not as crisp and high contrast as before.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm

pld wrote:
I tried that early on, before I even started Hemisphere. It didn't work. My methodology was somewhat naïve, though, with me simply drawing certain elements every n interrupts. It went from being full-bright at one value of n to flickering uselessly at the next. There were never really practical gradations. YMMV with different displays, perhaps. I'd bet there are better techniques, too.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

swordsreversed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swordsreversed » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 pm
swordsreversed wrote:
Please give version 0.92 a go-- the noise handling around 0v should be more robust now. I think my module happens to be particularly quiet on CV input noise so I'm not positive, but this might improve things for you.
I reset in hemisphere settings and put 9.2 on and voila, i can change the density by the knob. Thanks so much Logarhythm!

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 pm

pld wrote:

pld wrote:

Thanks for the details, and for all your work on the core O&C drivers and firmware code, pld!

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:13 pm

chysn wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm
pld wrote:
I tried that early on, before I even started Hemisphere. It didn't work. My methodology was somewhat naïve, though, with me simply drawing certain elements every n interrupts. It went from being full-bright at one value of n to flickering uselessly at the next. There were never really practical gradations. YMMV with different displays, perhaps. I'd bet there are better techniques, too.
That's pretty cool; I wonder if going outside of the timing specs just makes the results dependent on the physical tolerances of a given display's hardware since they're just made to work within the maximum update rate specified. This kind of thing sounds sort of like the types of interrupt-based tricks they'd do on old video game systems like the original NES to make wavy animated screen effects for e.g. fire and water.

Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:15 pm

swordsreversed wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 am
I reset in hemisphere settings and put 9.2 on and voila, i can change the density by the knob. Thanks so much Logarhythm!
Awesome, glad to hear it! Thanks to Chysn for catching the oversight on the icon code.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”