Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:55 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 am
Thank you so much for your work on this!
Is there any possibility you could increase the possible steps on TB-3PO and Turing machines to 32 steps instead of limited to 16?
I would even sacrifice on of the other modes if these could be 32 steps.
Thanks for checking it out :)

Both apps take some advantage of the current 16-step limit in terms of the data types they use, but this only really matters in terms of the way Hemisphere applets save and load their settings. Each applet is allotted 32 bits for all of its save/load storage. ShiftReg actually stores its full register, so it'd need another 16 bits on top of what it already uses (to store the current 16 bits, P and scale values.) I think that could be done with some hacking of the suite's storage but I haven't plumbed into that sort of thing yet :)

I'd be curious about TB-3PO extending its step count. The main advantage of using a seed and deterministic random algorithms to generate the pattern is that all you have to store is the seed and it can recreate all the pattern data automatically. Its random generation is already split up over a couple of interrupt calls so it doesn't use up too much of the compute time and it might not be a big deal to just have a second set of these run for the backside 16 steps. TB-303 already doesn't store its current step count because there wasn't room to begin with :) I'll have a play with it at any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Here's a visual help page for TB-3PO since it's a bit hard to understand without seeing it in action IMO. Please forgive the amateur graphic design sins!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Played a bit with TB-3PO and my X0X Heart, really great :) Need another O&C i think... I thought the interface was easy to understand btw.

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hautlle » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Will be installing this on one of my o_Cs tonight :love:

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Would it be possible to make an FX Aid type app that lets you choose the applets to build your own version of the firmware? Could be a good way to get around the size limitations as more applets for Hemispheres are developed, giving people the choice of what to drop, etc
https://fxaid.app/

I imagine this would take some work though
Last edited by DeltaTucanae on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Logarhythm:
How much space you got left after deleting Captain MIDI and adding these two apps?

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Thanks for this! Stairs will be super useful for cv addressable sequential switches. Also can't wait to try out TB-3PO!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 pm

Edit
Last edited by brandonlogic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:10 pm

edit
Last edited by brandonlogic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:11 pm

edit
Last edited by brandonlogic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:13 pm

edit
Last edited by brandonlogic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 pm

sorry for all the posts haha i was on my cell phone and it want showing my responses where coming through...
my bad!
Logarhythm wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:55 am
I'll have a play with it at any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks! Glad to hear it might be a possibility 🤞
Thank you for looking into it!
Last edited by brandonlogic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:38 pm

TB-3PO is so good! Real fast and easy to use. Might actually be my favorite mode in all of Hemisphere right now.

There's a bug in the firmware where if I am choosing algorithms and scroll past TL Neuron, the module crashes. Is this happening to anyone else?

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am
The hemispheres thread has a ton of suggestions that the OG dev chrysn was interested in, but ran out of space to implement. It would be neat if this alternate branch implemented them.
My plan was to only add a couple of applets to the Hemisphere mode, and to make sure they're polished, but I'm potentially game to explore more applets than just Stairs and TB-3PO, if they're simple. :) Mainly I'm looking to just add some more fun options to the wonderful core set.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 pm
Played a bit with TB-3PO and my X0X Heart, really great :) Need another O&C i think... I thought the interface was easy to understand btw.
Thanks! I was hoping it would be intuitive to use, especially if you're already familiar with quantized turing machines. I've been really enjoying it with the live application of density idea working!

One of my first DIY projects was a x0xb0x years ago, and I went so far as to select transistors, etc to best emulate the TB-303's sound (high beta values) and then spent a long time meticulously tuning the trimpots to get its output to match some great online 303 sample sets with knob positions annotated. Jamming on that thing over the years made me love that type of sequencer. I've been curious about the x0x heart-- I should hook up the x0xb0x to TB-3PO and see what happens...

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:10 pm

DeltaTucanae wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:49 pm
Would it be possible to make an FX Aid type app that lets you choose the applets to build your own version of the firmware? Could be a good way to get around the size limitations as more applets for Hemispheres are developed, giving people the choice of what to drop, etc
https://fxaid.app/

I imagine this would take some work though
As awesome as that would be, it'd definitely be a huge undertaking. Mostly it'd be a matter of curating the proper way to add and remove a given applet or full app, and it'd quickly encounter problems with apps having to cooperate about where they store their save state data, etc. I think something like that could potentially exist for just the Hemisphere App's applets, only because they all follow a very tight convention of adding/removing, having IDs assigned, and are each given a very small storage space (32 bits.) You'd definitely see lots of problems restoring saved applet data to apps that have been changed around though. But it would be a ton of effort, would be very fiddly, and would have to be an involved labor of love.

I love the concept though. Imagine a future O&C platform with an SD card, and hemisphere applet .hex files could just be stuck in a directory (and dynamically loaded into program memory) or something. I don't know if that's possible on this architecture >:)
Last edited by Logarhythm on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:12 pm

rayultine wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Logarhythm:
How much space you got left after deleting Captain MIDI and adding these two apps?
IIRC when first working on Stairs I wasn't able to compile until I made room, and suppressing Capt. MIDI might have brought things down from maybe 98% to 95%? The current Logarhythm branch is something like 97% now, mostly due to the significant amount of code (by applet standards) that makes TB-3PO do its thing.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:18 pm

mrerdat wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:38 pm
TB-3PO is so good! Real fast and easy to use. Might actually be my favorite mode in all of Hemisphere right now.

There's a bug in the firmware where if I am choosing algorithms and scroll past TL Neuron, the module crashes. Is this happening to anyone else?
I'm glad you like it, thanks!

I've yet to encounter a crash bug with my builds of Hemisphere, and I just now had a go at changing the algorithms on both sides a lot without issues. I'd assume that the hex loaded successfully and your device isn't having hardware issues, so I wonder if you have it in some configuration I haven't tried. Any info about which hemisphere it's in, what the other hemisphere has loaded, what kind of trig & cv you have connected, etc would be useful and I'll try to figure out if it's a software issue. Also, what type of Ornament & Crime are you running on? I'm using a uO&C with non-inverted 0.8 build.

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:18 pm
I've yet to encounter a crash bug with my builds of Hemisphere, and I just now had a go at changing the algorithms on both sides a lot without issues. I'd assume that the hex loaded successfully and your device isn't having hardware issues, so I wonder if you have it in some configuration I haven't tried. Any info about which hemisphere it's in, what the other hemisphere has loaded, what kind of trig & cv you have connected, etc would be useful and I'll try to figure out if it's a software issue. Also, what type of Ornament & Crime are you running on? I'm using a uO&C with non-inverted 0.8 build.
Yep the hex (non-inverted) loaded perfectly fine with no problems flashing. The crash happens on either hemisphere regardless of anything being patched into the module or not. Just checked the rear of the uO_C I'm using and it's running off of a Teensy 3.2 board. Maybe the issue could be that the hex is compiled for a different version of Teensy than the one I'm using?

qiemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qiemem » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am
Now, both density and scale changes apply to the pattern itself on every clock. It means you don't need to apply a reset pulse (and reset the pattern) to hear those changes, and opens up some pretty sweet live manipulation via the density cv :sb:
Woohoo! Thanks! Away from my rack this week, but can't wait to try it! :bananaguitar:

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:35 am

I'm also running on a uO&C with 3.2 board, so it sounds like we have the same hardware. Does it crash when changing to or off of TL Neuron and in which direction? I wonder if it's due to differences in our saved Hemisphere data. I'm guessing you were running Hemisphere 1.8 before changing over-- had you saved its state? Have you saved state in the 0.8 logarhythm branch? If you load Hemisphere suite 1.8 on the device does that not crash?
If you don't mind erasing your hemisphere saved settings, you could try going into the Setup application and resetting the saved data (this won't touch calibration data so long as you don't recalibrate.)
In adding the storage for Stairs and TB-3P0 and assigning their application IDs, I looked at Chysn's commits on github that added new applets, and emulated it exactly, and they use (one 32 bit value) each of storage as other applets do. Based on comments on the official branch with upgrading, I do wonder if a reset of saved state would clear things up.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 am

Mine doesnt crash there, totally stable.. i had latest non hemisphere FW before..

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Version 0.85 is now available on github, linked from the first post. The main change is that it increases the maximum steps in TB-3PO from 16 to 32 steps.

I played around with expanding the pattern lengths on TB-3PO from a maximum of 16 to a maximum of 32 steps, and initially got it working in a way that would preserve the patterns you'd get for a given seed in version 0.8 and prior (for the first 16 steps.) However, this added a bit of code computation and size overhead, and I also discovered an existing oversight where step 1 would never have an 'on' gate or other parameters. So, I figured (hoped!) nobody would mind if seeds sound different in this new version and rigged the 32-step version to just be efficient and not have the 1st step issue :) I'm guessing nobody has a treasured cache of seeds written down for their live sets at this point :minimoog: I'm aiming to avoid changing this again in the future if possible.

Please note that if you save state, the current number of steps is still not saved along with the other info due to the tight space requirements for applet storage. But the entire 32 steps are always the same for a given key, regardless of where the loop point set by the step count is.

Things get pretty funky with e.g. 24 steps or odd counts, since even on TB-303 sequencer clones there's almost always a 16-step maximum. Thanks again for the suggestion brandonlogic! :tu:
Last edited by Logarhythm on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:37 pm

mrerdat:
I studied the data save system more closely to confirm that I hadn't overlooked anything, and I can confirm that the Hemisphere App only stores four things: the unique ID of each hemisphere's current applet, and the 32-bit value used by each of those two applets for its current settings. So one possible cause of instability would be to load different firmwares that have different applets assigned to the same ID, or to load a firmware that does not have an applet for one of the saved applet IDs. This would only be the case if you were to save state in logarhythm branch with Stairs or TB-3PO active (applets that don't exist in stock hemisphere) and then went back to the original firmware. In that case the firmware would be confused because it wouldn't be able to find applets for the saved applet ids, and you might get some weird behavior until you saved state with existing applets selected. But of course this is not the issue you're having >:)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”