Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime: Logarhythm Branch

Post by Logarhythm » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 pm

edit

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:22 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Stairs is a stepped, clocked voltage generator based on the Noise Engineering Clep Diaz's 'step' and 'rand' modes. On each input clock pulse, the output voltage advances to the next 'step,' where the first step is always 0v and the last always 5v, with even voltage divisions on the intermediate steps. It's a fun way to drive your sampler like RadioMusic, act as a trigger-advanced LFO, or divide up an attenuator into stepped intermediate values.

Hoo-rah! Just saw this. This looks like my suggestion! Fantastic, can't wait to try this out! Great job.
--

Sync

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 am

Just tried Steps-- works great set at 10 with the STS-- can clock it through each of the samples in a bank. This was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for-- awesomeness, thanks! :hail: :yay: :hail: :yay: :hail:
--

Sync

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 am

Logarhythm wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:37 pm
mrerdat:
I studied the data save system more closely to confirm that I hadn't overlooked anything, and I can confirm that the Hemisphere App only stores four things: the unique ID of each hemisphere's current applet, and the 32-bit value used by each of those two applets for its current settings. So one possible cause of instability would be to load different firmwares that have different applets assigned to the same ID, or to load a firmware that does not have an applet for one of the saved applet IDs. This would only be the case if you were to save state in logarhythm branch with Stairs or TB-3PO active (applets that don't exist in stock hemisphere) and then went back to the original firmware. In that case the firmware would be confused because it wouldn't be able to find applets for the saved applet ids, and you might get some weird behavior until you saved state with existing applets selected. But of course this is not the issue you're having >:)
I actually just installed 0.85 and the module no longer crashes! When installed 0.80, I was coming off a fresh install of original o_c firmware. Not sure if that has to do with anything.

qiemem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qiemem » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am

Love the changes to TB-3PO! Having density be so responsive makes for great exploration. :yay:

Steps and TB-3PO work together super well. Using Steps to progress through density or transposition can give some really nice larger structure.

Two more suggestions/requests for TB-3PO, though feel free to ignore; this firmware is already great :hail: (I could submit a PR if you don't want to implement, but are still interested):

1. When density is less than full, it still sounds like pitch is still changing on steps where the gate is off. The downside to this is that if the envelope for the preceding step goes too long, you get pitch changes without retriggers, which can sound weird. I think having pitch only change for "on" steps would be make more sense. Then again, this can be taken care of with a S&H, and even can be used for giving different voices related melodies, so I suppose I could see it either way.

2. When you CV into density, it seems to ignore whatever value you had density at beforehand. This means that you almost always have to offset any CV to density with another module. It seems like the value set by the encoder should be used as the offset. Also, I noticed some weird behaviour with CVing density Occasionally, the display would stop saying CV and it would jump to a value that didn't make sense for the CV I was supplying.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Sync wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:22 am
Hoo-rah! Just saw this. This looks like my suggestion! Fantastic, can't wait to try this out! Great job.
Yes, absolutely-- I thought it was a great idea too. I'm glad it suits your purpose, and the STS looks like a fantastic module. :tu:

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm

mrerdat wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 am
I actually just installed 0.85 and the module no longer crashes! When installed 0.80, I was coming off a fresh install of original o_c firmware. Not sure if that has to do with anything.
Awesome, glad it's working now! If it was in fact due to eeprom states being read in funny, it'd make more sense coming from stock O&C firmware to a Hemispheres edition than from Hemispheres to different Hemispheres firmwares. At any rate, thanks again for being game to debug things :guinness:

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying it; I have too -- the density change really opened things up nicely!
qiemem wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am
1. When density is less than full, it still sounds like pitch is still changing on steps where the gate is off. The downside to this is that if the envelope for the preceding step goes too long, you get pitch changes without retriggers, which can sound weird. I think having pitch only change for "on" steps would be make more sense. Then again, this can be taken care of with a S&H, and even can be used for giving different voices related melodies, so I suppose I could see it either way.
So this bit is actually by design to more closely resemble 303-style sequencers, which can have ghost notes w/out gates, at least on the x0xb0x. On carefully authored patterns you can hold the pitch constant, or you can turn on accent for those gateless steps and get audible ghost notes as you up the accent knob. Equivalently, on TB-3PO you can open the filter or amp, or increase release times to > 50% of a step length to reveal these ghost notes.

I think the key to getting the most out of this is using envelopes with a sustain stage and relatively fast release stages, rather than an A/D envelope or similar. This way the tempo-detected 50% duty cycle gate from TB-3PO leaves 50% of the gate time for the amp/filter's release stage before the next step's pitch is in play. If a step has slide ON it will hold the gate open until the next step, and continue to hold it for 50% of that step's duration, so the release stage gets pushed to that point and slides are audible.

From my perspective, this is part of what can make the sequences pretty groovy, even if it makes the application for longer decay on envelopes less conventionally correct (And it can be fun when allowing ghosted notes in at, say density values of +3 then closing down the filter/amp and going up to +7 to have them as proper notes, or to explore sussing out some hidden ghost notes from the -1 to -6 range by e.g. modulating envelope releases.)
qiemem wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am
2. When you CV into density, it seems to ignore whatever value you had density at beforehand. This means that you almost always have to offset any CV to density with another module. It seems like the value set by the encoder should be used as the offset. Also, I noticed some weird behaviour with CVing density Occasionally, the display would stop saying CV and it would jump to a value that didn't make sense for the CV I was supplying.
The basic behavior here as it currently is emulates the other Hemisphere apps somewhat-- in most cases, if there is any CV input, it completely takes over control from the encoder-set value of the parameter. In my case I found this a bit confusing during testing so I added a 'CV' icon to indicate when this was happening on the new applets.

Currently the 'density' parameter takes an input value of 0v to 5v, and maps this to the range of -7 to 7. The (still) potentially confusing bit is that since the O&C hardware cannot detect if a cable is plugged in, the applets all rely on detecting very close to 0v to turn control over from CV to encoder values. This bit is why you'll see old values 'stick' when CV jumps from say 5v right to 0v-- the applet doesn't think it's getting input CV when the input changes to 0 so the param stays put until it rises out of the 'deadzone' by a bit.

That said, there is still the possibility of changing over from a pure Encoder Vs. CV control scheme, instead emulating modules with an offset and attenuation knob for a given parameter. It'd want to show the 'set' value for density per the encoder-set value, and then have a bipolar CV input apply +- offset. On the O&C hardware the maximum symmetrical range would be something like -3.5v to 3.5v or optionally smaller. This change would make things slightly more complex to show but it'd have the advantage you mention (you'd likely need attenuversion on a single bipolar cv instead offset+attenuversion on a unipolar cv,) and no issues around 0v (CV would just get summed to the encoder-set value without needing to worry about little bits of jitter, because the full range is just quantized to 15 values.)

I think that idea is worth trying out, so once again thanks and I'll have a play around :) And by all means, if you want to play with the code please do; I think you'll find Hemisphere suite's code API is well done, especially for embedded.

[Edits: corrected a few places above from "decay" to "release"]
Last edited by Logarhythm on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Awesome stuff, thanks!

Managed to hack this in the Hemisphere beta5, preserving almost everything relevant from the OG oc firmware.

Works exceptionally well with the Mutable Peaks.
Supercritical Synthesizers - Email us for all inclusive time and space travel packages. Go now before Tom Cruise does!

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am

Is there a way to sacrifice a different full screen app instead of Captain Midi? What would be the best alternative?

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks hzzzu, glad you found it worthwhile to merge :)
ihav2p wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am
Is there a way to sacrifice a different full screen app instead of Captain Midi? What would be the best alternative?
I think any of the other apps would probably do (maybe pong?) but I haven't evaluated any of them for size. Some of the "full" apps like the vector waveform editor or Enigma share data with applets so I didn't consider disabling them. In any case, it would be a matter of a few code tweaks, rebuilding, and probably some testing to ensure it's been done correctly.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm

Logarhythm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am
ihav2p wrote:
I think any of the other apps would probably do (maybe pong?) but I haven't evaluated any of them for size. Some of the "full" apps like the vector waveform editor or Enigma share data with applets so I didn't consider disabling them. In any case, it would be a matter of a few code tweaks, rebuilding, and probably some testing to ensure it's been done correctly.
Consider The Darkest Timeline. It doesn't have any dependencies, and if you're using TB-3PO, you probably don't need another sequencer anyway.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 am

chysn wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm
Logarhythm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am
ihav2p wrote:
Consider The Darkest Timeline. It doesn't have any dependencies, and if you're using TB-3PO, you probably don't need another sequencer anyway.
Cool. Thanks to both of you!

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 am

Just tried it out with no problems. Had to comment out both Darkest Timeline and Pong to get it small enough

Code: Select all

261700 bytes (99%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 am

Great, glad that fits, and thanks for the size report!

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:21 pm

Logarhythm Branch version 0.9 is now available, linked from the first post. It modifies TB-3PO and adds a new feature to the Shuffle Hemisphere applet.

TB-3PO: CV applied to the 'density' parameter is now an offset from the value set by the encoder, rather than superseding it. Setting density with the encoder works as before, except it can now be done while CV is applied (and its value is shown momentarily with a 'knob' icon in this case.)
CV +-2.5v will offset approximately +-7 density values from the encoder-set position.
The pre-1.9 CV behavior can be emulated by setting the encoder value to -7 and applying 0-5v, giving the full range under positive cv control.
(Thanks to Muffwiggler user qiemem for the suggestion!)

Shuffle: OutputB was unused in the stock firmware, so now it outputs Triplets. It detects the clock tempo and emits 3 triplet pulses evenly distributed across 4 clocks, starting at the first input clock. Reset is shared with the shuffle odd/even output. No input parameters affect the triplets-- it's just a bonus output that can be fiddly to patch normally and pairs well with swing. No dubstep was accidentally made in testing this feature.

Help docs: The github wiki help now documents the changes to stock firmware Hemisphere applets, in addition to documenting changes to TB-3PO and correcting the order of CV inputs listed there, which was backwards.

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm

The graphic design horrors continue with an updated TB-3PO cheat sheet for version 0.9.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 pm

I have a small feature request that I think people will find useful. The voltages app does not use the CV inputs. It would be really nice if it added the selected voltage to the input, so you can use it as a gated precision adder as well as just the offset.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 am

I appreciate that the shift register has a control for limiting the range. Keep up the good work - any thoughts on getting videos out there?

16osc
Common Wiggler

Post by 16osc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am

Enjoying your work very much on this - thanks for your time and effort!

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am

yeah, really great to see it getting updated :D Thanks a lot!

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:53 pm

I love TB-3PO. Thank you so much for your time and efforts!

recliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by recliq » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi,

I also love TB-3PO :yay: and I have a question/rff...

Might it be possible to also transpose the sequence without using the transpose CV in? It would be very nice if we could for example choose also c-1,c-2,c-3 in addition to c in quantizer base setting... would this be possible?

casciato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by casciato » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Cool stuff. I'm installing this just as soon as I figure out how.
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Logarhythm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logarhythm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:54 pm

Thanks everyone! It's wonderful to see people using and enjoying it, and the feedback has been invaluable. :cloud:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”