Feedback use and controls

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

apestate
Common Wiggler

Feedback use and controls

Post by apestate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am

Hello wiggles

I recently got a matrix mixer and started experimenting with feedback patches - and i'm very happy with the sound. Looking for more interesting paths for experimentation.

Please tell me everything you know about feedback patches - with VCOs, filters, reverb, CVs, anything!
How do you keep your feedback under control? How do you prevent ear-piercing moments? :zombie:

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Re: Feedback use and controls

Post by blaythe.steuer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 am

distortion gets real crazy real quick. delay too!

tons of people really like the serge res eq specifically for feedback purposes

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am

Instruō tanh[3] is great to use as a limiter in feedback patches.

https://pugix.com/synth/instruo-tanh3-demo/

DivKid

Last edited by pugix on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:56 am

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 am
distortion gets real crazy real quick. delay too!

tons of people really like the serge res eq specifically for feedback purposes
+1 for this. Also using the Doepfer 188-2, with a bunch of external modules in the feedback path. Filters, other delays, pitch shifters are all really fun in the feedback patch.

Lately I've also been using a combo of the FxdF/Linix and an MMG patched back into the other FxdF input, controlling the outs of the FxdF with the Linix VCAs. Very organic sounding.

Rings is also great in a feedback patch.

Shapeshifter with the internal delay engaged can lead to some really great, pseudo granular sounding patches. There was a really great thread about it a few years back

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:59 am

Delay feedback using a console fx send to feedback the delay output back into it self is a common Dub Reggae production technique. In Dub Reggae production they manually ride gain the fx send to ensure that the feedback does not get out of control. In modular you can automate this with a delay module and a vca. Use the vca to control the level of the delay output signal that is feeding back into the delay. If you control the vca feedback send appropriately, you can get some great delay feedback and distortion without undesirable feedback effects.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:13 am

pugix wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am
Thanks! I vaguely remembered seeing this a few days ago but couldn't remember which module did this.

Is this something that can be done with any waveshaper?

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:40 pm

apestate wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:13 am
pugix wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am
Thanks! I vaguely remembered seeing this a few days ago but couldn't remember which module did this.

Is this something that can be done with any waveshaper?
It depends on whether the waveshaper limits the output.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:09 pm

feeding back into cv inputs is a great way to change many voltage controlled modules responses. feeding sub audiop

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:15 pm

apestate wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am
Hello wiggles

I recently got a matrix mixer and started experimenting with feedback patches - and i'm very happy with the sound. Looking for more interesting paths for experimentation.

Please tell me everything you know about feedback patches - with VCOs, filters, reverb, CVs, anything!
How do you keep your feedback under control? How do you prevent ear-piercing moments? :zombie:
Which matrix mixer did you get?

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 pm

apestate wrote:
Hello wiggles

Feedback chain -> Env Follower -> Signal Inverter -> VCA (with Feedback chain passing through) with gain turned up to allow signal to pass through and CV adjusted to liking / functionality

You can do this with A119 and Maths. I think you can also patch an env follower with the slew inputs on maths.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 pm

I like having a VCA in the feedback loop that's controlled from an inverted envelope follower. It'll boost the level to keep feedback going, but cut the level to stop it from clipping.

Depending on what's in the loop, a highpass filter can be helpful to block DC and maintain headroom. Any other filter or EQ is definitely nice to have too, whether to notch out more piercing resonances, or to create resonances where you want them.

A pitch shifter and an "opposite" filter -- e.g. pitch shift down + highpass or pitch shift up + lowpass -- is fun too :D

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:54 am

cackland wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Which matrix mixer did you get?
Livestock electronics' maze.

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 am

vrfats wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Feedback chain -> Env Follower -> Signal Inverter -> VCA (with Feedback chain passing through) with gain turned up to allow signal to pass through and CV adjusted to liking / functionality

You can do this with A119 and Maths. I think you can also patch an env follower with the slew inputs on maths.
Do you mean using this signal into env follower etc. as the feedback modulation? Or as additional feedback from the already feedback looping sound?

seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 am

vrfats wrote:
apestate wrote:
Hello wiggles

This!

And also: Verbos got env followers built in. Both the delay (the dry+taps) and the bark filter got it per band + all bands sum. Amp and tone can invert incoming cv. So in Verbos that module list is two modules. delay/bark + Amp&tone. Theyre great for these kind of patches.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 am

Spring reverbs are great - Doepfer A-199 with A-112 and A-188-2 feeding back into each other can make amazing sounds at the point when the feedback is starting to build up. Seems like an envelope follower or other suggestions above would be useful to keep the levels at bay.

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 pm

apestate wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 am
vrfats wrote:

Do you mean using this signal into env follower etc. as the feedback modulation? Or as additional feedback from the already feedback looping sound?
Think of it like patching a sort of ad hoc limiter / compressor. The signal turns down itself if it gets too loud. If you slew the envelope you can mess with the response a bit. This is also fun for sidechain effects etc.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”