ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and PC’s “coming soon” mystique (EDIT: PC FIXED IT! HAZAAH!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and Perfect Circuit’s “coming soon” mystique

Post by mosorensen » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 pm

I have no experience with Perfect Circuit, but for whatever it is worth, there are a number of posts on the OCHD thread from people who pre-ordered from them and appear to have had similar experiences.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:30 pm

casciato wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm
This mirrors my experience and current thinking on them perfectly. I tried to preorder a Disting Ex from them... Waited almost eight weeks, found a local seller, bought from him, cancelled my order... They weren't even particularly apologetic about the hassle and the fact that they had $320 of my money for almost two months.
To be fair, Disting EX has had huge demand compared to production. Even Control took a while to send mine, partly because the second batch they were sent got stuck in customs :bang:

(But it wasn't anything like 8 weeks...)

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Haha I got the stock email for the 215 too and foolishly figured they'd last 'til the inevitable 4th sale. Guess not.

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:08 pm

PC has an abysmal industry reputation of having extremely poor business practices, the ones being mentioned above included obviously. I've known/worked w/ a number of their employees over the years and the stories are pretty abhorrent and luckily they've all moved on. Additionally, I work for a large musical distributor for many years now, and there isn't a week that goes by where we have to call them to tell them to take something down as they constantly undercut MAP and MSRP pricing week after week to sell things cheaper than anyone else. Its not surprising to hear that with all of this, they sell things they don't have on a regular basis which they get taken to task for regularly. My goal here isn't to trash PC but there are so many bad dealings with them and so many places that deal in selling modular synthesizers with way better business practices :despair:

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Getting so hung up on the fact that out of stock modules are listed as "coming soon" is a bit ridiculous to me. But I agree that PC aren't the best when it comes to customer service. It seems like their support team and shipping team have zero communication with each other and it takes like 4-5 days to get an email response and often up to a week for them to ship an order. They're like one rung above corporate, Trump-supporting Sweetwater when it comes to businesses I care to support.

Shout out to Control, Control Voltage, and Patchwerks. All lovely shops with great people and service, and I love that you can just call them and ask a question. Wish they carried Addac.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm

They suck, for the reasons already mentioned. But with the almost permanent 10% discount and the fact that they stock almost everything, I still order from them fairly often. I ordered some stuff last night at around 9:00 PM, and it has already been picked up by FedEx this afternoon, which for PC is amazing.

But I try to support Detroit Modular, Control Voltage, and Control as much as possible.

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Anyone else not pleased with the stock glide? At minimum it gave 2-3 seconds of slew and didn't work well for traditional musical purposes.

Addac support was super helpful and responsive in helping me swap the capacitors. They said it was designed "for slower modulations" but I'm kinda irked that wasn't mentioned anywhere (that I could find).

Even without the glide it's great, but I was pretty disappointed.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 pm

a_b_d wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 pm
Anyone else not pleased with the stock glide? At minimum it gave 2-3 seconds of slew and didn't work well for traditional musical purposes.

Addac support was super helpful and responsive in helping me swap the capacitors. They said it was designed "for slower modulations" but I'm kinda irked that wasn't mentioned anywhere (that I could find).

Even without the glide it's great, but I was pretty disappointed.
So you can’t do like really fast glide between say 16th notes?

Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:05 pm

If people wanna dunk on how PCs sale practices are unfair to other businesses, I'd consider that a fair convo.

But as a buyer, I have to say- my experiences have all been quite good. Good deals all the time, a return process that was painless when I got my first very first module (that I didn't end up liking), consistently fast free shipping across the entire country, and included candy without the guilt of buying from a business that funds those who subjugate people like me.

I did once enter the 'coming soon' limbo with a pre-order; they explained to me that the distributor wasn't sending them stock of the item, & painlessly gave me a refund when I asked for it.

As an added bonus, IRL, they stock Club-Mate; the best beverage to grace this earth.
𝐍𝐄𝐎-𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐄: http://madeONLINE.me/

Have my freebie granular plug-in: viewtopic.php?t=192886

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:13 pm

Tristana wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:05 pm
As an added bonus, IRL, they stock Club-Mate; the best beverage to grace this earth.
Lol idk why Club Mate and vodka is the official club drink in Berlin/Europe. It tastes like muddy feet and is the last thing I want in my mouth when I'm coming down on acid.

Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:19 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:13 pm
Lol idk why Club Mate and vodka is the official club drink in Berlin/Europe. It tastes like muddy feet and is the last thing I want in my mouth when I'm coming down on acid.
That sounds pretty nasty. Might be good with a schnapps or something but I just drink it as a tasty, (relatively) moderate caffeine beverage. Clementines are a much nicer refresher on acid, no carbonation to upset the tum.
𝐍𝐄𝐎-𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐄: http://madeONLINE.me/

Have my freebie granular plug-in: viewtopic.php?t=192886

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:46 pm

i just want to briefly chime in as a manufacturer because it seems like PC gets a lot of shit. its unfortunate to hear many people have had bad experiences with them. but as a customer i have always had easy completely normal transactions, although ive never had to deal with their customer service.

mainly i want to say dealers/shops stocking my modules have come and gone over the years, but perfect circuit really supports me and my company and has done so the past 3 or so years.
Żłób modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

My Eurorack compositions for vinyl "Tholins of Kharon" is out 11/23/19
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 pm

seconding ordering straight from addac. just did this with a 104, and i'm very happy i did. nb: their lead times are longer due to covid, totally expectedly.
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

WetSoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WetSoul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Perfect Circuit will not get my money anymore, as I've had similar poor interactions with them. 50% of my experiences with them have been odd. I've even received a couple pieces of gear that arrived so broken that I question if they even look at them before shipping them. Then it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a replacement, requiring a "full tech inspection" to determine a capacitor has fallen off and is loose in the package.

Somewhere like Analog Haven will personally inspect it and plug it in before sending to make sure it's ok. Better off with buying from a business with better customer service when dealing with an expensive hobby like this. Just my 2 cents...

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Never dealt with them, and based on what I’ve now read, never will.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:57 pm

I've done 7k of business with Perfect Circuit and never had a problem. I just call or email when something is "coming soon". It took 8 weeks to get a Disting mk4 but they said as much when I asked. I placed an order 36 hours ago and it shipped this morning :despair:

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 pm

VZvision wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 pm
So you can’t do like really fast glide between say 16th notes?
Not on mine/it's all soupy

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 pm

So is this a thread about people dealing with patience or what?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:52 am

WetSoul wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 pm
Perfect Circuit will not get my money anymore, as I've had similar poor interactions with them. 50% of my experiences with them have been odd. I've even received a couple pieces of gear that arrived so broken that I question if they even look at them before shipping them. Then it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a replacement, requiring a "full tech inspection" to determine a capacitor has fallen off and is loose in the package.

Somewhere like Analog Haven will personally inspect it and plug it in before sending to make sure it's ok. Better off with buying from a business with better customer service when dealing with an expensive hobby like this. Just my 2 cents...
Hello. Since you mention Analogue Haven:

My experience with the these two vendors was the opposite of yours.

I found Analogue Haven to be very sketchy. Among other things, even after I declined their offer to "personally inspect" each of the many modules in my order from them (which happened to be my first of eurorack modules), what they sent me included modules with incomplete or generic individual packaging, or with power cables already connected to the module, though they were not connected by the manufacturer.

Luckily I caught one instance of the latter with Telharmonic, since I studied each module before installing it, and found this one's power cable to be connected in the wrong orientation. When I asked Make Noise about it, they confirmed that they ship none of their modules with the power cable connected.

All of it smacked of being returns or demos that Analogue Haven resold to me as brand new. I told Make Noise so, advising them that after my long experience with music equipment retailers I found Analogue Haven to be "playing it fast and loose".

I will never again buy anything from Analogue Haven, even if they have the last example of some rare and wonderful thing.

Conversely, after so many purchases from Perfect Circuit that I should be embarrassed for gluttony, I never received even one item that hinted at being not brand new or was damaged in shipping and handling. The one defective module I did get finally was a factory defect. Perfect Circuit replaced it promptly, completely for free; and at my request they confirmed the defect, then tested a brand new replacement before shipping it me.

The report in a (poorly written, but descriptive) recent post here, alleging Perfect Circuit's bad practices within the trade would be damning if true and verifiable. But I am familiar with the company only as a customer, from which perspective I have known them to be only an exemplary retailer.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:22 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:32 am
only buy from them if there's a discount
I think the PERFECT10 coupon is eternal. It has certainly worked for me with everything I've purchased from them.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 am

pablowdadon wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 pm
Hahaha! Fair enough. On balance though, I was pretty patient in waiting the 2 or so months in order to save on shipping from ordering via ADDAC direct.

I think when I saw that silly "coming soon" tag knowing they had sold out of their recent shipment in a few hours, it just amplified the stupidity and insincerity of advertising to the world that everything PC doesn't currently have on-hand is "coming soon". And consequently, I chose to vent here. Like I said before, its using language that doesn't at all reflect reality and more often sets the stage for disappointment rather than positive expectations.

What does "coming soon" mean to you? Does it mean the same thing to everyone? Is there room for equivocation when thinking of something "coming soon"? Conversely, is there any equivocation in the term "out of stock" or "sold-out"? I mean how hard is it to just say something is sold-out?

Also, barring one or two transactions, I've actually had decent interactions with them over the years. Its just this practice I'm shaking my head at.

stepvhen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stepvhen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:11 pm

I started buying modules and sutff all during this pandemic, so the experience is skewed, but I just assume anything that isn't listed as "in stock" means "who knows". Once I get some general experience with a sell I'll bother with asking them directly whats available, but not listing things as sold out isn't worth my time. (Additionally, online shops that don't have "only show items in stock" as an option frustruate me to no end).

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:35 pm

pablowdadon wrote:
Yup.

Hope no one plans on scooping the Natural Gate that's frustrated by PC.
THUMPR BC SC

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm

pablowdadon wrote:
It's a thread about two tangentially linked topics. I chimed in because I'm interested the getting an ADDAC215. I've made a lot of purchases from PC, and only one time ordered a 'coming soon' item (stack cables). So I had to wait three months. After this, I'll avoid hoping things will come soon, if they're not in stock.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Perfect Circuit is weird. :foul:

I ordered a black 2hp Verb from PC mid April. It was “arriving soon”. After a couple weeks, I emailed 2hp to see if they knew when PC would be getting more. They told me PC should have them in a week or two. Time passes. Last weekend, I gave up and ordered direct from 2hp and cancelled my order at PC. The Verb arrived today. PC canceled my order ... and it is still “arriving soon”.

Maybe they had more orders than they received modules for. Maybe they’re still in transit. Maybe someone ate them. I dunno, but when the manufacturer says they have them in stock, available to ship immediately... :despair:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Return to “Eurorack Modules”