ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and PC’s “coming soon” mystique (EDIT: PC FIXED IT! HAZAAH!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and Perfect Circuit’s “coming soon” mystique

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:04 pm

From a similar situation of talking to a manufacturer about restock and never updating the stock, if an item has enough preorders they never update the status and just send the item to the customers.
THUMPR BC SC

euxine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by euxine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:19 am

My tl;dr - enough people are doing it right and staying in business, why not copy success?

Surprisingly interesting thread. On the one hand, e-commerce is not easy at any real scale, and service level would typically be high 'until it's not' - when the retailer's pipeline gets overloaded.

That said, there are Plenty of tightly-run euro shops (schneiders, london modular, signal sounds, cymru, rubadub, elevator sound, rubadub, matttech, control, juno, etc etc) that get it right - probably because they have live stock systems in place which allow them to deal with the use cases mentioned in the thread. A live stock system is basically a requirement these days as we've all gotten accustomed to the amazons of the world.

Somewhat murkier is the topic of returns processing - you can imagine that any retailer would want to mitigate risk of having damaged merchandise returned, but that is why the Terms (as m mentioned earlier) are important. It tells the customer what the retailer's risk appetite is, and we can decide if we agree. I've found myself returning to shops with frictionless returns within a short (2 weeks) period. Most manage a refund within 48h of receipt of the module. That said, I've returned 3 modules in 5 years.

As for stock indications, it's hard to say there's a 'standard', but there does seem to be a simple convention in use:

In Stock - we have it here and you can buy it now;

On Order - we have some left from a finite number which we have ordered (optionally: AND we have tracking for) and you can pay now, receive very soon;

Pre Order - we have confirmed that we have x units allocated that will arrive on an uncertain date, and we have some left that you can order and receive 'soonish' (obvs the controversial one, and varying definitions of soonish);

Out of Stock 1 / Stock notification - we don't have any, and we don't know how many we'll have when they come (yet), but feel free to leave your name and we'll contact you in list order;

Out of Stock 2 - we don't have any you can order here, and we have no idea when they will be back ('coming soon' in the PC example). More typically - They will not be back soon enough for us to bother making a list.

I'm not clear on why you'd use anything else, or put yourself in a position to collect money for orders you couldn't reliably fulfill. It's probably not good for cash flow in the long run because you could end up with more cash volatility - i.e. lots of long pre-orders being cancelled at once on bad news from the supplier. You could argue that 'coming soon' is more attractive to a potential buyer before the sale, but why disappoint people in the long run by setting expectations too high?

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 am

Does anybody get offended if i start saying that somewhere in the world now / or / some years ago it was perfectly fine to wait some time for a module?
Years ago, to me, was completely fine waiting some time in order to get a module: after the format got mainstream i understood that first come first got served.
I’m thinking that this “time” perception is really influenced by youtube, social networks and a lot of BS.
When i want a module and my store to go does not have it in stock, i write directly to the manufacturer and then i write to the store.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:35 am

pablowdadon wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 am
Does anybody get offended if i start saying that somewhere in the world now / or / some years ago it was perfectly fine to wait some time for a module?
Years ago, to me, was completely fine waiting some time in order to get a module: after the format got mainstream i understood that first come first got served.
I’m thinking that this “time” perception is really influenced by youtube, social networks and a lot of BS.
When i want a module and my store to go does not have it in stock, i write directly to the manufacturer and then i write to the store.
I don't think that's offensive :tu: I've been happy waiting long stretches (6 months +) for modules.

And I totally agree with you that social media amplifies the "I want it all! I want it now!" mentality which is definitely not healthy.

I guess that really speaks to my point though. Perfect Circuit's blanketing of all items as coming soon rather than stating when they are sold out or out of stock is totally part of this "time perception BS" you mention. It distorts expectations whether a person is patient or not.

shaun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shaun » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm

Just bumping this as it seems Perfect Circuit now uses "Out of Stock" and i remembered this thread lol

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 pm

shaun wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm
Just bumping this as it seems Perfect Circuit now uses "Out of Stock" and i remembered this thread lol
FUCK YEAH!! :guitar: :drums: :rock: Thanks for the heads up. :tu:

Admittedly had a couple moments of feeling bad about posting when people said I was just being impatient and dumping on PC just because I didn’t get what I wanted right away, but this feels like vindication.

Small victories are radical
EC5809FD-9DB2-4EB0-A9A6-25E77C11480E.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

metamorphmuses
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and PC’s “coming soon” mystique (EDIT: PC FIXED IT! HAZAAH!)

Post by metamorphmuses » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 am

I've never had any problems with Perfect Circuit. I recently had to get an RMA for a module and it was a clear cut case of manufacturer error (wrong size HP width listed). I returned it and got store credit — painless.

However, I am glad that they now use "Out of Stock" rather than "Coming Soon" because it eliminates any false hope you may develop. I never ordered a "Coming Soon" item without calling them first to get a sense of the window of time on delivery. Recently I found out the Xaoc Devices Samara II would be in stock soon as in within a few weeks, so I preordered one and a few days ago, living up what I was told, I was notified my order had shipped.

I am left wistful, however, as to the status of items that may indeed be unobtanium — not sure if Perfect Circuit will actually get any Frap Tools Usta, Dnipro Metamorph, or Vermona PerFourmer MkII w/ CV/Gate. Along with Mannequins' Just Friends on other sites, I may be empty-handed on some of my most desired items for quite some time (silver lining: that is probably good for my wallet).

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Re: ADDAC 215’s unobtanium status and PC’s “coming soon” mystique (EDIT: PC FIXED IT! HAZAAH!)

Post by Franktree » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

My assumption is that with PC, it works as follows: You order a "coming soon"/"out of stock" module having no idea when they'll get the next modules in stock, but that whenever they do, they fulfill the "coming soon"/"out of stock" orders based on order priority, and if there are more modules leftover after they've done that, they'll go up on the site as in stock. Is anyone saying differently?

Not sure if I'm just misinterpreting some of the above, but it kind of sounds like folks are claiming that modules go up on the site as "in stock" (and therefore are able to be purchased for immediate (or within a few days anyway) shipping) even before "coming soon" orders are filled?

I have no insight into PC at all, but I would be surprised (and supremely disappointed, as I've been waiting a number of months for a few different modules I've purchased from them as "coming soon") if that were the case. As I said, I assume it is not (and that "coming soon"/"out of stock" orders are given first priority). Please speak up if you think otherwise.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 pm

What I’ve seen happen is that a new module comes out, and the manufacturer will say here or on FB “we just sent out a shipment, retailers will get them in a few days”. So you go to PC, and it says “coming soon”. All good so far, the manufacturer even said they ARE coming soon, so you place an order. So do 50 other people. But PC only gets 20 modules, and the next batch hasn’t even been assembled yet.

Compare this to a place like Control. If they have a shipment of 20 modules coming in, I’ve seen them cut off preorders after that shipment has all been spoken for, and not accept any more orders until they have ordered another batch.

The difference between these 2 scenarios is one reason so many people get grumpy about PC- they really should not accept payment for something that they don’t even know when they’ll be able to deliver- they know how many modules they ordered, and they know how many people have ordered them.

It would be different if there was clearly some sort of “wait list” situation- the product is still a ways off, it’s going to be popular and hard to get, so you knowingly put down your money and are guaranteed a place in line.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Franktree wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm
Not sure if I'm just misinterpreting some of the above, but it kind of sounds like folks are claiming that modules go up on the site as "in stock" (and therefore are able to be purchased for immediate (or within a few days anyway) shipping) even before "coming soon" orders are filled?
I don’t think anyone has claimed that PC does not honour its orders that people have placed when an item is “coming soon”. Or that they alter the priority of who ordered first. It’s the “coming soon” concept that’s in question here.
Franktree wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm
I have no insight into PC at all, but I would be surprised (and supremely disappointed, as I've been waiting a number of months for a few different modules I've purchased from them as "coming soon") if that were the case. As I said, I assume it is not (and that "coming soon"/"out of stock" orders are given first priority). Please speak up if you think otherwise.
The issue that prompted this initially was the fact that, up until very very recently, PC’s web-shop had NO concept of “out of stock”...EVERYTHING they didn’t have on-hand was labelled as “coming soon”.

I have little doubt that, since you have paid for the items, you have secured your spot in the queue for whenever they get their modules in.

I’m gonna let this topic lie now...PC has changed their practice as evidenced by including “out of stock” as an identifier on their website. All is right with the world :tu:

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Given that clarification, I would just add that, particularly now that PC says "out of stock" instead of "coming soon," PC's practice seems okay to me--particularly when buyers understand how PC works. Modules are expensive, and PC probably runs on small margins. By doing pre-orders the way they do, they can get a decent sense for demand--we've gotten 50 orders of the new Disting, we should order 60 of them from Expert Sleepers, or whatever. PC has a great selection, and perhaps one of the reasons is that they can offer a number of modules for which there is little demand. You pay for it ahead of time, and then they know, oh, I should order a few of these from the manufacturer, someone wants some. If they had to order everything ahead of time without better understanding demand, they might have a much smaller selection of modules available, because they couldn't afford all the overhead and risk of ordering those modules ahead of time and hoping someone eventually buys one.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 pm

I’ve always had good luck with Perfect Circuit in the past, but this last experience was a bit frustrating. I bought a 215 along with 2 other Addac modules. The other 2 modules turned out to be faulty and the return process was super slow and a lot of work.

Btw, I have decided I don’t really need this 215. I’m happy to keep it around, but if anyone missed out on this batch and is interested in buying a practically new one HMU.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 pm

If restock isn't already, literally, enroute to PC then it absolutely isn't "coming soon" in a useful sense.

It's a stupid way to handle stock status, and is intentionally vague in a sketchy way.

But they're okay otherwise, in my experience.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”