104hp Drum Synth Starter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

104hp Drum Synth Starter

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm

I would like to start a 104hp Drum synth oriented rack , with no particular interest in classic drum machines timbres ( even though, I would not mind the capability of obtaining those tones too).

I already own another 104 rack with these modules:
1. Usta sequencer
2. 4ms Enosc
3.Maths
4. Mi Blinds
5. Mi Shades
6 2hp mmf
7. Expert Sleepers Fh2

What would be your 3 essential modules to start with?
The Usta sequencer could use some voices from this drum rack , since I only have the Enosc there.

I would not want to go without any generator or sequencer in the drum rack, therefore Alm’s Pnw could be a candidate or a Bastl knit rider. Or ?

What would be your sources? Plonk? Blck Noir? Endorphines? Addac? Hex Inverter...

I want ( if possible) a 50/50 sound synthesis and jamming rack.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 104hp Drum Synth Starter

Post by daphnid » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 pm

The Addac Heuristic Rhythm Generator looks fun. Trigger Riot is kind of like a playable PNW.

Akemie's Taiko, SY0.5, SSF Entity Percussion Synthsizer, Noise Engineering BIA, and Plonk are the most interesting percussion modules to me. The ALM Squid Salmple looks excellent for percussion too, the included sample library is amazing.

Also shout out to the Bionic Lester MK3 as a percussion processing effect. The digital overdrive and comb filters sound so good on percussion.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Yeah, thanks ...it’s pretty hard to pick one , I guess each one of them have specific features.

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm

lmixl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm
I would like to start a 104hp Drum synth oriented rack , with no particular interest in classic drum machines timbres ( even though, I would not mind the capability of obtaining those tones too).

I already own another 104 rack with these modules:
1. Usta sequencer
2. 4ms Enosc
3.Maths
4. Mi Blinds
5. Mi Shades
6 2hp mmf
7. Expert Sleepers Fh2

What would be your 3 essential modules to start with?
The Usta sequencer could use some voices from this drum rack , since I only have the Enosc there.

I would not want to go without any generator or sequencer in the drum rack, therefore Alm’s Pnw could be a candidate or a Bastl knit rider. Or ?

What would be your sources? Plonk? Blck Noir? Endorphines? Addac? Hex Inverter...

I want ( if possible) a 50/50 sound synthesis and jamming rack.

I'd recommend hexinverter stuff for sure.

I've just finished my 50/50 sound synthesis/jamming drum rack after working on it for years. 104hp but 7u.

What kind of sounds do you like?

Edit: actually going by ur post after a reread you would probs classify mine as 100% sound design so maybe I'm not as much use except for standard x module sounds good. All my sequencers and trigger modfiers etc. are out of this box.
Last edited by raccoonboy on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Pamela's nw, or euclidean circles for more hands on and less functions, Disting ex as multifunction / sampler, micro peaks for 808 bd/snare, hexinverter bd sounds great though honestly kick samples are fine, doepfer noise module (a118?)

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Here's my drum rack, made up of mostly leftovers from the other rack; Logic, clock multipliers, and switches. Disting does sampled drum loops, Peaks for the FM drums, and then a few other voices and modulation sources. Maybe some ideas ...

Direct link to Modulargrid is in my sig. I might flip Branches with the ADE-33 again to get some swing back in the system.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm

Thank you all... interesting ideas . For some reason, I feel attracted by the immediacy of the trigger Riot.
How is GateStorm Ssf compared with the trigger riot?
Is that immediate? Screen is a bonus...

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am

Here is my drumrack 😍

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28 am

Modules that I found especially helpful for percussion purposes:
* Dnipro Modular dot. Compact and flexible trigger sequencer.
* Noise Engineering Confundo Funkitus. Trigger muting and probability based merging.
* ST Modular Switched. Nice and flexible switch. There are others but the ability to send your triggers to either side is useful
* Beast-Tek Amoeba. Like MI Grids as a trigger sequencer but with a broader range of types and patterns.
* ALM Squid Salmple. This provides the core sounds of my drums: snare, clap, hats, ride, percs. I then use my Peaks and Akemie’s Castle to put the “melodic” percussions over the top.

There are other important bits (I use Pams for clock, Shakmat Time Wizard for clock multiplication, MI Branches for sequencing my hats, Befaco Percall to handle decay envelopes, Kickall for my kick, Instruo tanh 3 for saturation, etc) but these are probably some of the stand out bits for me.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 am

Grumble wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am

Here is my drumrack 😍
Sounds great! I like the dar wave mood and the bpm used :) What effects did you use? There is a reverb in there right?

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 am

sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28 am
Modules that I found especially helpful for percussion purposes:
* Dnipro Modular dot. Compact and flexible trigger sequencer.
* Noise Engineering Confundo Funkitus. Trigger muting and probability based merging.
* ST Modular Switched. Nice and flexible switch. There are others but the ability to send your triggers to either side is useful
* Beast-Tek Amoeba. Like MI Grids as a trigger sequencer but with a broader range of types and patterns.
* ALM Squid Salmple. This provides the core sounds of my drums: snare, clap, hats, ride, percs. I then use my Peaks and Akemie’s Castle to put the “melodic” percussions over the top.

There are other important bits (I use Pams for clock, Shakmat Time Wizard for clock multiplication, MI Branches for sequencing my hats, Befaco Percall to handle decay envelopes, Kickall for my kick, Instruo tanh 3 for saturation, etc) but these are probably some of the stand out bits for me.
Oh Thanks! Now plenty to investigate.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 am

lmixl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm
The SSF Entity BDS and Percussion, no doubt. Percussion is a fantastic module and the BDS is good for most kinds of kicks. I would also get a Antumbra Atom, which is a tiny and cheap version of Mutable Instruments Elements. Elements is great for a zillion different percussion sounds and since everything is cv controllable it's endless, really. The only issue with these three, especially the latter two, is that you want many modulation sources to get the most out of them.
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks Lisa!

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:10 am

haha i remember when i was like 'ya i'll just do a little drum machine in eurorack'.
now my tiny bedroom consists of ~60% synth / audio equipment, ~40% queen-sized bed.

i'd recommend getting an external sequencer, like BSP, and some manglers for recorded sequences, like the Shakmat stuff. this route is just wayyy more fun to me than using eurorack trigger sequencers. perfect amount of control / chaos. That way the rack can be mostly for sound-design.
as for sound-design, it's trial and error getting the sounds you want as your tastes change. just be flexible, especially w/ only 104hp... which imo is not enough. not nearly enough. for modulation, i love using the NLC hypster w/ vector space / let's splosh. chaos sounds great on drums imo. Pam's is nice if you need some kind of steady simply lfos, other than that i don't use it much.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:52 am

I kinda want to remain in the rack, and I saw minimal systems...like the Erica Synth Drum Sequencer with just an Alm Squid Salmple.
Would you guys consider that minimal setup too limited? What would be the major missing points? This setup is not an actual drum synth but a sample player with small features?

Modulation?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:22 pm

It’s a matter of taste and workflow of course. And I even like to work with some (groovebox) sample players. Though, in eurorack, with all the awesome modulation sources available, I prefer drum synth modules.
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm

lmixl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:52 am
I kinda want to remain in the rack, and I saw minimal systems...like the Erica Synth Drum Sequencer with just an Alm Squid Salmple.
Would you guys consider that minimal setup too limited? What would be the major missing points? This setup is not an actual drum synth but a sample player with small features?

Modulation?
I would imagine that being a really fun setup tbh. The Squid doesn't accept accent so you wouldn't have much dynamics though. The Erica Drum Seq seems very much designed for their own drum modules but does look cool.

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm

daphnid wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm
I would imagine that being a really fun setup tbh. The Squid doesn't accept accent so you wouldn't have much dynamics though. The Erica Drum Seq seems very much designed for their own drum modules but does look cool.
I know what you mean - it doesn’t have “accent” in the strict sense of that word for drum synths but it does have three CV ins to control any of the channel parameters, including level, decay, but rate, etc - this does give quite a lot of modulation and dynamics potential.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:57 pm

sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm
daphnid wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm
I know what you mean - it doesn’t have “accent” in the strict sense of that word for drum synths but it does have three CV ins to control any of the channel parameters, including level, decay, but rate, etc - this does give quite a lot of modulation and dynamics potential.
Yeah at least there's that. But only 3 mod inputs for 8 tracks, you may want to use them for other things. If you got a 8x summing VCA and Pam's to add to those two you'd be in business.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you guys, what would be your 8x summ. Vca for this specific system?
Mybe Muton from SSf would work?
Last edited by lmixl on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm

lmixl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm
I have a few different modules I use to sum things but the four outputs of my Squid Salmple goes via Zlob Vnicursal into an Instruo Tanh, to saturate and limit different voices a bit, before I bring those (and my melodic percussion, which go through Percall and Xpan) into a Worng Sound Stage. The Worng is nice for creating space, though I wish I had the space for something like a Qubit Synapse to make the most out of it! There are other stages in the “master” before I output to my interface but that’s the main things.

I’ve been really happy with the Percall (after two weeks at least!) because it allows me to do a lot in a small space, so that would be nice to sum percussive voices in my opinion.

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm

lmixl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 am
Grumble wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am

Here is my drumrack 😍
Sounds great! I like the dar wave mood and the bpm used :) What effects did you use? There is a reverb in there right?
Thanks, and yes, the reverb module is the one with the red 9. There are actually 100 different types of reverb possible with this module.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:48 pm

sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm
lmixl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm
I have a few different modules I use to sum things but the four outputs of my Squid Salmple goes via Zlob Vnicursal into an Instruo Tanh, to saturate and limit different voices a bit, before I bring those (and my melodic percussion, which go through Percall and Xpan) into a Worng Sound Stage. The Worng is nice for creating space, though I wish I had the space for something like a Qubit Synapse to make the most out of it! There are other stages in the “master” before I output to my interface but that’s the main things.

I’ve been really happy with the Percall (after two weeks at least!) because it allows me to do a lot in a small space, so that would be nice to sum percussive voices in my opinion.
Maybe Muton from SSf would work?

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:55 pm

What do you guys think? Fun to play, but also some tweaking possibilities in here?

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:13 pm

inoshi wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:10 am
haha i remember when i was like 'ya i'll just do a little drum machine in eurorack'.
now my tiny bedroom consists of ~60% synth / audio equipment, ~40% queen-sized bed.

i'd recommend getting an external sequencer, like BSP, and some manglers for recorded sequences, like the Shakmat stuff. this route is just wayyy more fun to me than using eurorack trigger sequencers. perfect amount of control / chaos. That way the rack can be mostly for sound-design.
as for sound-design, it's trial and error getting the sounds you want as your tastes change. just be flexible, especially w/ only 104hp... which imo is not enough. not nearly enough. for modulation, i love using the NLC hypster w/ vector space / let's splosh. chaos sounds great on drums imo. Pam's is nice if you need some kind of steady simply lfos, other than that i don't use it much.
Hah, that first part was me as well. Started with a 2-voice drum skiff in a Palette case, then went to a 7U 104HP drum/synth hybrid. And now I'm looking for another 7U case to stick the synth stuff in and keep the roles separated :deadbanana:

To the OP: what kind of role are you looking for this drum skiff to play? Are you looking for samples, synthesis or both? Would you want to sequence these using the Usta, or through other means? What role do you want your modulation to play? Any interest in adding sources for random via CV, gates/triggers or both? Any artists/sound types that you're inspired by or are looking to replicate? Even if you're not sure what your answers are, giving it some thought should help narrow things down.

In looking at the case you just provided - do you want this drum skiff to be able to function separately from the one you already have? Or will they always be used together? Personally, I think the Erica Drum sequencer is a bit too much for a 104HP case, especially if you already have (and hopefully like using) the Usta. You could use Pam's to send gates and all kinds of stuff, but navigating it can be a bit tedious if you're looking for quick operation. If I had a Salmple in a 104HP skiff, I'd grab a uMarbles or uGrids (or probably both) to sequence it, or the new DNIpro Dot for more programming flexibility in a small package. Leaves you more space for modulators, mixing, or maybe even another drum module?

Or... watch some videos of the drum modules others have mentioned and find the one you're the most inspired by the sound of. Try that one first. Sequence it with the Usta (both solo and with everything else) and get a feel for it. Then build around that.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”