NE Desmodus Versio

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

noise-e
Learning to Wiggle

Re: NE Desmodus Versio

Post by noise-e » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm
Sleepfc wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm
It takes an unusual amount of pressure for me to get the patch cables into all of the CV-ins. I had to wrestle around with one last night before it finally went in. Anyone else notice this?
Yes
Seems like the jacks have to be broken in or something. Taking out a cable has been kinda tricky too. I totally noticed that though, glad I’m not the only one hah
wonder if there was a design or manufacturing fault that led them to end up with stereo jacks instead of mono jacks. that would be a shame for something in this price range, but it does sound pretty great
Hi! These jacks are a bit stiffer because we moved to a custom SMT part that brings down the cost of production substantially, lowering the price of the module. Rest assured that these jacks are mono, and will loosen up a bit over time.
-Markus

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm

thanks Markus ! that sounds reasonable. I regret to have implied a hypothetical fault or mis-pricing of the module.

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks Markus, I assumed that the stiffness in the jacks would fade in time. It didn’t feel like a low-quality issue, quite the reverse in fact. Loving this module, thanks for your continued great work.

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:48 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am
I am eager for more demos of its creative sound design potential, along the lines of how folks have exploited Erbe Verb in years past. I don't think we need any more techno demos using the max-Regen sidechain trick. it is maybe exciting if you've never sidechained a reverb to a kick before, but this module clearly doesn't deserve to become stereotyped for this small bonus feature.
I know what you mean, however in my love case this feature is very beneficial because I don’t have space to easily patch that up :-) ... not to say I only use it for that, because some times I don’t want that kind of kick/bass sound but it’s great to have that on tap when you want to go in that direction. Overall though it’s a beautiful sounding module that sits nicely in the mix and is very easy to get a range of interest tones out of on the fly.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

can DV's delay lines go short enough to do a nice stereo chorus or flange? that patch should be something like: Regen at minimum, Size just above minimum, Dense just above minimum, Index maybe around 2:30

I'm also really curious how the different LIM/DST/SHM modes affect the sound when Regen is high, Dense is low, and Size is low (so it's a high-feedback tight delay line and not diffused into a reverb). have only heard them demoed with Dense high, which is totally reasonable for a primarily reverb-oriented module.

but would be cool if you could easily morph this thing from chorus to delay to reverb. besides the comparisons to Erbe Verb, I also see some affinity to Valhalla Delay and Valhalla Supermassive

Electro Something
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Electro Something » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm just starting to build my rack and the only reverb I have is in my Clouds clone. I keep listening to videos of the DV and it just sounds a bit too dark and distorted for the kind of bright, dreamy electropop I do.

I want to like it so bad tho! It's stereo-ness will go soooo well with my Moog Matriarch. Not sure if I should give it a shot, or just grab a nice pedal or Z-DSP and enjoy that classic room simulation sound.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm just starting to build my rack and the only reverb I have is in my Clouds clone. I keep listening to videos of the DV and it just sounds a bit too dark and distorted for the kind of bright, dreamy electropop I do.

I want to like it so bad tho! It's stereo-ness will go soooo well with my Moog Matriarch. Not sure if I should give it a shot, or just grab a nice pedal or Z-DSP and enjoy that classic room simulation sound.
I am kind of in the same shoes as you. Wanting a bright reverb for ambient. I got the versio and I agree it is difficult to make it bright and dreamy. But it is starting to grow on me and I seriously can't find anything better in eurorack. The control for it is excellent.

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Anyone who has also owned the Afterneath able to compare these two?

Electro Something
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Electro Something » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm
I am kind of in the same shoes as you. Wanting a bright reverb for ambient. I got the versio and I agree it is difficult to make it bright and dreamy. But it is starting to grow on me and I seriously can't find anything better in eurorack. The control for it is excellent.
What do you think is the best reverb out there (pedal or module) for the kind of bright ambient you do?

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 pm
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm
What do you think is the best reverb out there (pedal or module) for the kind of bright ambient you do?
I am not sure as far as eurorack goes, I am still looking. But for pedals maybe something like the specular tempus.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am

koyl wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm
droningspaghettimonster wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 am
should be amazing to feedback patch it with the distortion modules...
This was what came to my mind right away: feedback patching. The ducking capability will be great for that... and for designing industrial techno Kicks/basses.
The ducking capability? Of the DV? Or the distortion? Please explain. Thanks

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:13 am

RichyHo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am
koyl wrote:
This was what came to my mind right away: feedback patching. The ducking capability will be great for that... and for designing industrial techno Kicks/basses.
I meant the ducking capabilities of the DV: when it's in a feedback loop, the ducking cuts the feedback when it reaches a set level and once it's cut, the feedback comes back.. This creates this constant fight, which is the whole point of feedback patching, but with the DV you can do it without extra modules.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 am

koyl wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:13 am
RichyHo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am
koyl wrote:
I meant the ducking capabilities of the DV: when it's in a feedback loop, the ducking cuts the feedback when it reaches a set level and once it's cut, the feedback comes back.. This creates this constant fight, which is the whole point of feedback patching, but with the DV you can do it without extra modules.
:tu:

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 am

It works well on very modulated drones too: the change in frequency content allows the DV reverb to creep in and fill the holes of the main source.

Btw, here is a demo of the creative possibilities of the DV if you go for the bat shit crazy stuff. :miley:

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am

Here's a clip of messing around with DV with Regen past 3-o'clock and manually tweaking pretty much everything along the way. Probably the most interesting part is the "artifacts" that start at 1:45. This was a couple of nights ago, but pretty sure those were from me quickly turning down the Size. Sounded cool, so I did it a couple of more times with the same effect.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”