diy module - afraid to plug it in

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

diy module - afraid to plug it in

Post by seriousziggy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:16 am

Hi everyone ,

Just built a diy project the ginkosynthese seeds .
i did check with a multimeter continuity test "forward and backward" and everything seems fine no shorts between positive ground and negative and a short peak that appears like i read was normal .
Now i'm still afraid to plug it in my case .
A part from frying the module ( i hope not) is there also a chance to fry other things in the case or can i go quiet serenely into it ?
i know some people use for diy projects firs ta small rack just to test but i don't have that possibility .
I already built once before a "time wizard" at my friend from the Shakmat modular and he said i did that properly .
Thanks for your help

Igor

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Re: diy module - afraid to plug it in

Post by Pelsea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am

What brand of power supply do you have?
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 am

The fear before plugging a freshly built DIY module in. I get that fear too! Glad i am not the only one. Sometimes if i have spent a few hours finishing a module and i am a bit tired i will plug it in the next day. I think its something to do with confidence in your own SDIY abilities which for me is very little, just soldering the right component in the right place. I powered up an SSSR Labs VC Divider. LEDS flashing all over the rack except the VC Divider. Major depression. Turned it all off. Came back to a few hours later. All i needed to do was patch it up and actually use it. LED's started flashing worked fine!
If you are worrying about your other modules though, unplug everything else and just power up the new module on its own. That will minimise any risk to the rest of the rack.

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seriousziggy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 am

Pelsea wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am
What brand of power supply do you have?
i have a pittsburgh modular case

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 am

If you plan on doing more DIY and don't want to have repeated anxiety, I would recommend building up a usb supply and power it from a charge bank. This design has short protection, fits nicely on the bench and actually puts out a decent amount of power. https://modularaddict.com/mmi-usbpower-pcb
I use them for portable skiffs as well to get wiggling outside and the power is generally pretty clean even with digital modules.

If you're in Europe you could try to find one of these instead. Don't know if they have short protection but most charge banks have some safety features anyway.
https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/ ... thingy-pcb
Built up a couple a few months back and they're good fro DIY testing or single module use cases.

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am

Go ahead. You can't damage that PSU or any other module in the case.
Just turn off the power if it doesn't work.

I have an Elenco power supply on my workbench to check modules out.
Patch responsibly-
pqe

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am
I’m not sure that’s entirely true. Eg your module could short a psu rail to ground, meaning other modules will lose that rail. Some modules can be damaged from losing a rail (eg modules with a v2164 that doesnt have explicit protection of the ic). So you can damage other modules pretty easily from a dodgy diy build.

brycecake
Common Wiggler

Post by brycecake » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Test it with a pair of 9V batteries.

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

I would always power up any newly-built project on its own power supply for the first time. If it powers up properly on a power supply by itself, passes all your basic tests for functionality, and doesn't leak magic smoke or get hot then you can give it a try in the full box.

Too many other variables are introduced when your power bus is more like a kindergarten schoolbus full of chatty noisy modules. For example maybe you had a bad flow on a capacitor in the power supply filtering circuit and all the noise from other modules screws up a chip on your module. If you know that it powers up when it's by itself but not with other modules on the bus that points a finger right at the power supply.

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm
Pelsea wrote:
I’m not sure that’s entirely true. Eg your module could short a psu rail to ground, meaning other modules will lose that rail. Some modules can be damaged from losing a rail (eg modules with a v2164 that doesnt have explicit protection of the ic). So you can damage other modules pretty easily from a dodgy diy build.
He did test the power connections with a meter, and found no shorts.
Patch responsibly-
pqe

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm
forestcaver wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm
Pelsea wrote:
He did test the power connections with a meter, and found no shorts.
Fair point - but my paranoia is such that I always check all rails to GND with both +ve and -ve leads (ie both directions) to make sure a series diode isnt hiding a short :-) But for the sake of a £7 dc-dc meanwell (if you cant justify/afford a bench supply), I’d never plug a fresh module into my main case....
(But really I agree - if it’s been tested very carefully and there is genuinely no short then damage to other modules or psu is vanishingly unlikely)

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm

If you're going to do DIY on a regular basis then it's worth investing in a bench supply with current limiting. Adjust the limit to a little more current than you expect the module to draw, plug the module into it first, and then even if there is a short you're unlikely to get any serious damage to module, supply, or anything else.

But I also think it's worth blowing up a few components like LEDs on purpose just to learn what that's like and get past the fear. Connect an LED across the power rails with clip leads and see what happens. People think I'm joking when I say that, but I'm not. You'll really feel more confident once this kind of thing is no longer an unknown.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:58 pm

mskala wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm
If you're going to do DIY on a regular basis then it's worth investing in a bench supply with current limiting. Adjust the limit to a little more current than you expect the module to draw, plug the module into it first, and then even if there is a short you're unlikely to get any serious damage to module, supply, or anything else.

But I also think it's worth blowing up a few components like LEDs on purpose just to learn what that's like and get past the fear. Connect an LED across the power rails with clip leads and see what happens. People think I'm joking when I say that, but I'm not. You'll really feel more confident once this kind of thing is no longer an unknown.
both points great advice, especially the later, working w 12v is super easy.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm

I do a lot of testing and have a dedicated case for testing new modules. Since you're just doing bare minimum not-blowing-anything-up tests literally any supply will work so you can pick up a used uZeus or something for around $100 and protect the rest of your stuff.

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seriousziggy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:52 pm

thanks for the replies
did the continuity test ,everything was fine . decided to plug it in
it works !
the sort of usb supply seems like a good idea
thanks

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 am

I have a Joranalogue Test 3 and an FC Power board in a standalone box. It gives me enough of a warm, fuzzy feeling that nothing will die when I transfer my build to a case.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 am

I have two of these (one with 12 V, one with 15 V) mounted on a standalone board on my workbench, and driven by a 15V AC wall wart. Don't wanna miss them :).
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”