Finally finished my 7u drum rack.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Finally finished my 7u drum rack.

Post by raccoonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Have finally filled up my 104hp 7u drum rack (after several years) and it ended up a little different from what I planned at the beginning but not a whole lot. A little bigger, quite a bit better. I followed the exact same self imposed 'rules' after all these years.

1. All analogue
2. No time based effects. Distortions are really the only permitted traditional effect for sound shaping (delays and verbs etc are outboard).
3. Ability to do pretty much every kind of typical modulation/effect, Ringmod, FM, waveshape and functions like invert, different decay slopes etc.
4. Brilliant for sound design (in fact every module in the 3u rows are for sound design) with limitless possibilities, especially good for one sound at a time but definitely good for creating jams and loops too.
5. Ability to quickly make sounds based on 808/909 which can then be shaped to my liking but equal ability to make stuff from scratch whether it be metallic sounds, watery sounds, wooden sounds etc.
6. No sequencers/trigger modifiers etc. Again, these are outboard only.
7. No menu diving

Well I think I nailed it, going to be hard to fit a better rack in this space for my needs. Maybe over some years 1 or 2 small changes will happen if some things are not being used enough, but I don't see an awful lot changing to be honest.

I love my variety of VCAs that all bring a different character to a sound too. Yeah, proud of myself :sb:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/899271
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Re: Finally finished my 7u drum rack.

Post by vrfats » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Very interesting. What are some of your favorite drum modules for hihat-type sounds? I've been thinking about getting a few more drum modules lately. Maybe Sy0.5 (the syncussion clone) and TipTop hats, also in the market for a euro compressor. Been looking at the WMD SSL one and the new 2hp. You seem to be an expert in these things :despair:

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Looks good! Can we hear it in action?

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Ray Finkle wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:51 pm

vrfats wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 pm
Very interesting. What are some of your favorite drum modules for hihat-type sounds? I've been thinking about getting a few more drum modules lately. Maybe Sy0.5 (the syncussion clone) and TipTop hats, also in the market for a euro compressor. Been looking at the WMD SSL one and the new 2hp. You seem to be an expert in these things :despair:
faaaaaaaaaaaaar from an expert. I'm not even being modest. haha. But I am improving with focus and attention. Too much reading and not enough wiggling for years, but getting better at that balance now, especially now I have a lot of the gear I want and I've learned all I need to know for now (theoretically).

The tiptop stuff is great for sure. It wasn't right for my setup though. It uses samples and has a 909 type sound and I wanted to do analogue, 808 style hihats, but also with options for going from there to craziness.

I didn't like the hexinverter mutant hihats at all. The opamps sounded too clean and didn't work as a hihat vca for me. I love other mutant stuff though as you can see from my rack. I didn't really like any 808 style hats modules I saw online, they either weren't versatile enough of I just didn't like the sound.

I produce mine from scratch, unlike my kicks and snares etc, where I have a kinda semi-modular approach with my purpose made modules.

If you want 808 style analogue hats from scratch. The 808 circuit goes '1. metallic noise source (6 squarewaves detuned) > 2. bandpass > 3. vca'.

1. I ended up going with the hexinverter liquid hihats DIY for the metallic noise source (same as used in the 808 but more customisable), not sure if you can get these anymore though I got one of the last ones. I may mix this with some noise from the Quantum Rainbow 2 also.

2. This then goes into a bandpass, I've chosen the klangbau twin peak resonator for its sound and versatility, it can be used for much more too though.

3. Then it goes to the Sinclastic Empulatrix VCA which is the same one as in the original 808 for hihats. I can use both of mine, one for closed one for open. But often I used it only for the closed and use a vacvac (or a combination of both) for the open hat, it sounds more natural.

Not got around to it yet but plan to make a set up so that a closed hat cuts off the open hat, vacvac is also perfect for this as it's a very natural vca. This is just how I make my vanilla 808 sounds, but by changing pitch of the liquid and adding in other elements like FM or messing about with the BP filter and VCA choice it's a pretty versatile setup.

So my hihats are minimum 34hp. hahha. But luckily all the modules are great for other things too.
--------

Someday when I make a digital or hybrid rig I will have an ATARAXIC TRANSLATRON. This is a great source of noise for sure. Very cool.

I would recommend one of these personally for a noise source just based on what I've heard online. Hopefully you already have a multimode filter with a basic bandpass (you don't need a 14hp one like mine) and find some VCA(s) you like if you don't have spare. The two I love are not sold anymore unfortunately.

You have a lot of versatility with only 12hp with this setup. i.e. ATARAXIC TRANSLATRON. Doepfer 4hp multimode VCF (forget the name) and some 4hp VCA for example.

But if you want the 909 sound just go for the tiptop. Hope this helps.

As far as compressors go, you really need to know what you want to use it for to determine which one is right for you.

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

revtor wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Ray Finkle wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm
So far only the things recorded with this are kicks for a friend's album (and occasional snare). It's olschool hiphop type stuff and will be out later this year. If you're interested. It's gonna be amazing.

We plan to make stuff with more modular, but that will be for another day.

wuff_miggler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm

very sick selection racoonboy!! wish i could jam on that setup :D
mutant range is high on my list of best drum modules i've heard!

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm

how do you sequence this beast

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm
how do you sequence this beast
Either with the social entropy engine seen next to it if I'm making stuff from scratch or if I'm making stuff to go with my mates music I'll use Expert Sleepers stuff.

I've also got a little 32hp box with clock dividers, logic, ratcheting etc.

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:21 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm
very sick selection racoonboy!! wish i could jam on that setup :D
mutant range is high on my list of best drum modules i've heard!
Thanks man. Having a blast with it right now. So sad that a few of these models you can't even get any more. 😭

And yes. The mutant stuff is fantastic

oldenjon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Nice, how are you liking that sinulator?
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 am

oldenjon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:38 pm
Nice, how are you liking that sinulator?
I've not actually had time to sit down with it yet and really get to know it but just messing about for even a few minutes I've managed to get some nice metallic tones. Quite easy to get nice tones and they don't sound too glassy as some fm does imo. Tis nice. But uv just reminded me I need to use it a little more so I'll do that tonight.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”