Order to random

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wetrawlmhz
Learning to Wiggle

Order to random

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 am

Hi All,

I've just received my first two Eurorack modules, Rebel Technology Stoicheia and Tonic.
These are the starting points for my research into off-kilter rhythms and melody.

I've got other modules coming in, but for now, my question is solely focused on this - How can I bring a little bit of rhythmic and melodic order/control to the Stoicheia and Tonic's randomness?

If you were starting out with just these two bits what would you use next?

I was thinking of something like the 2hp Logic as part of the group of modules that bring the control and space to the randomness...perhaps? Mutable Instruments Steps has already been recommended.

Would it be pointless including mutable instruments Grids if I already have the Stoicheia?

Would buying Pamela's New Workout be overkill as my clock generator for Stoicheia seeing as it has the Euclidean Sequencer?

Thank you all.

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Order to random

Post by ETP » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 am

I´m running the old Pamela into two Klasmatas and a Grids. For sure this is not overkill.
Also the euclidean trigger sources are not random. The Tonic seems to be a simple gate mixer :hmm:

I mean, you will never have enough logic stuff, if you go this route.

At the end is it better to keep things simple. Too much pattern changes result in too much randomness.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 am

ETP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 am
The Tonic seems to be a simple gate mixer :hmm:
It isn't - it's closer to an arpeggiator, actually. It combines multiple trigger sources into a single source of pitch CV by interpreting each of the sources as a specific pitch change.

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ETP » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 am

Patch gates into a cv mixer and you will have the same result...

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 am

ETP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 am
Indeed but the Tonic also provides manual gates via on-board buttons, negative values (which you'd need an attenuverting mixer to do) and a gate output for each of the inputs (which you'd need an or combiner for), so it's a bit more than "just a mixer".
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am

ETP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 am
Oh, wait, you're right, I had misunderstood the description. I thought it was trigger-based, not gate-based - that it changed state whenever it received a trigger, such that a trigger burst into a single input would give you an arpeggio of sorts.

That being said, I wouldn't want to be tasked with dialing that CV mixer to the precision needed in pitch CV applications.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 am

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 am
Hi All,

I've just received my first two Eurorack modules, Rebel Technology Stoicheia and Tonic.
These are the starting points for my research into off-kilter rhythms and melody.

I've got other modules coming in, but for now, my question is solely focused on this - How can I bring a little bit of rhythmic and melodic order/control to the Stoicheia and Tonic's randomness?

If you were starting out with just these two bits what would you use next?

I was thinking of something like the 2hp Logic as part of the group of modules that bring the control and space to the randomness...perhaps? Mutable Instruments Steps has already been recommended.

Would it be pointless including mutable instruments Grids if I already have the Stoicheia?

Would buying Pamela's New Workout be overkill as my clock generator for Stoicheia seeing as it has the Euclidean Sequencer?

Thank you all.
Hello. In no particular order:

Try Pithoprakta. It should be perfect for your stated interests. Although I never played Marbles, it should be good for you, too.

In my experience, Grids always sounds like itself, no matter how I bang on it. Thus with Grids what is characteristic is not the fact that it introduces structure, but the identifiable makeup of that structure. If so then the question is whether you yourself want "the Grids sound".

Pamela's NEW Workout is a world unto itself. So powerful, ranging between sheerly utilitarian and creatively subversive. If all you want is a clock, and Stoicheia does that job, then you are set. But PNW can do so much more than clock.

"melodic order" can be acheived with sequencers, of course, but also with creative use of quantizers.

As an approach, think less (or not only) about modules that are CV sources, but about those that are CV manipulators: switching, mixing, merging, offset, inversion, slew, delay, etc. That's where you will find your off-kilter AND be able to control it.

Have fun... good luck!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”