Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
vrfats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:30 am

Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by vrfats » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm

In the past Ive used my turing machine and noise ring a lot. Recently ive been working more with patterns of 6 or 7. It looks like I have an older version
of the TM that has less options for step length. Does anyone know of a turing machine type module with a reset input?

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Not exactly a shift register, but Mutable Marbles allows variable pattern length combined with variable degrees of repetition vs mutation.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4317
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by starthief » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Marbles is pretty great. It doesn't have a reset input, but does have a selectable number of steps.

Mimetic Sequent looks cool too -- though it lacks the internal clock, separate timing for the three channels, and awesome quantizer :D It does have up to 64 steps and you can copy patterns (so you could record a pattern, copy it, let it mutate randomly for a while and then return to the original, something Marbles can't). The two of them together would no doubt be pretty fun.

User avatar
Taylor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by Taylor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:12 pm

I feel a little weird recommending my own module, but it seems people don't mind that on this forum, so, the Pithoprakta is primarily a gate/trigger sequencer, but in gate mode and with 100% gate length, its CV output works just like a more controllable Turing Machine, and it has a reset input.

When set to divider mode, you can send its own lower outputs to its reset input to get a variety of non-4/4 sequence lengths. The unusual thing is that if you set probability below 100%, then occasionally the resetting step won't fire, which means that it can probabilistically alter its own time signature. Lots of very funky time-feels possible with that that would be hard to achieve with a more traditional sequencer.

On an unrelated note, vrfats, the image on your SC link reminds me of when I took some self-portraits on my scanner. Did I guess right?

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Grayscale Permutation is a Turing Machine with any number of steps up to 16.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6662
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by dubonaire » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:55 pm

cptnal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Grayscale Permutation is a Turing Machine with any number of steps up to 16.
That would be my suggestion.

User avatar
Phitar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by Phitar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Marbles is pretty great. It doesn't have a reset input, but does have a selectable number of steps.

Mimetic Sequent looks cool too -- though it lacks the internal clock, separate timing for the three channels, and awesome quantizer :D It does have up to 64 steps and you can copy patterns (so you could record a pattern, copy it, let it mutate randomly for a while and then return to the original, something Marbles can't). The two of them together would no doubt be pretty fun.
Yes indeed! Big fun together! The Sequent with the Multimum expander is definitely the way to go with it though.... It makes all three patterns available at once plus adds random outs too! Simply killer! :goo:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

vrfats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:30 am

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by vrfats » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:25 am

Taylor wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:12 pm
I feel a little weird recommending my own module, but it seems people don't mind that on this forum, so, the Pithoprakta is primarily a gate/trigger sequencer, but in gate mode and with 100% gate length, its CV output works just like a more controllable Turing Machine, and it has a reset input.

When set to divider mode, you can send its own lower outputs to its reset input to get a variety of non-4/4 sequence lengths. The unusual thing is that if you set probability below 100%, then occasionally the resetting step won't fire, which means that it can probabilistically alter its own time signature. Lots of very funky time-feels possible with that that would be hard to achieve with a more traditional sequencer.

On an unrelated note, vrfats, the image on your SC link reminds me of when I took some self-portraits on my scanner. Did I guess right?
Thanks for sharing. I'm digging what I'm seeing / reading about this thing so far. And yes I smashed my face on a scanner :hmm: :party: :guinness:

vrfats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:30 am

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by vrfats » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:34 am

starthief wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Marbles is pretty great. It doesn't have a reset input, but does have a selectable number of steps.

Mimetic Sequent looks cool too -- though it lacks the internal clock, separate timing for the three channels, and awesome quantizer :D It does have up to 64 steps and you can copy patterns (so you could record a pattern, copy it, let it mutate randomly for a while and then return to the original, something Marbles can't). The two of them together would no doubt be pretty fun.
The Mimetic Sequent looks really interesting. I've always been kind of put off by noise engineerings panels but liked the ideas behind their modules hahah. How does it function as a CV recorder? Recently picked up a brain seed and am still getting to know it sort of . Is it a stepped s + h recorder of this sort?

User avatar
Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:20 am
Location: CNX and MAN

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by Muff McMuff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 am

Disting mk4 has a 1-16 steps and a few different shift register algos.

vrfats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:30 am

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by vrfats » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:46 am

cptnal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Grayscale Permutation is a Turing Machine with any number of steps up to 16.
Sounds like this is probably what I am looking for. Thanks.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2636
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

If your just looking for something that can generate a random sequence and be reset, lots of the bigger, powerhouse sequencers can do that.
Ones that I know can off the top of my head because I have /had them- Nerdseq, FLXS1, Eloquencer.

These sequencers just apply the random at once though, they can not slowly generate like Turing machine/marbles can, so maybe not what your looking for.

User avatar
maltemark
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am
Location: Gothenburg

Re: Shift Register / Controlled Random Sequencer module with Reset input?

Post by maltemark » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Just build a bytes expander for the tm1
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”