uZeus enough to power these...?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

hoothom
Learning to Wiggle

uZeus enough to power these...?

Post by hoothom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi folks, I'm thinking of getting a Tip Top uZeus to power my case. Will it be enough to power 6 modules (mostly Doepfer, plus STO, all around 30mA) plus a whole Behringer Neutron?

Cheers!

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Re: uZeus enough to power these...?

Post by adaris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Yes, but only if you get the Boost power brick to go with it. According to the manual the Neutron requires 1000 mA on the +12V rail, which by itself would use up all of the +12V current provided by the standard adapter included with the uZeus.

hoothom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hoothom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty confusing, wouldn't I still have unused power on the -12v and 5v? Or am I misunderstanding?

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hautlle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 pm

You would have unused power on those rails, but pretty much any other modules will require more +12 power to run. You only get a maximum amount of power per rail, if you max out one rail it can't just pull from the others to increase one.

hoothom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hoothom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Hey, cheers for the info. I'm getting a 2000ma power adapter for it, will that give me enough power to work with?

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Recommend powering the Neutron with the power supply that comes with it. Doubt you'll be wanting it taking up space in your Euro case for long anyway.... :foul:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

hoothom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hoothom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Phitar wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm
Recommend powering the Neutron with the power supply that comes with it. Doubt you'll be wanting it taking up space in your Euro case for long anyway.... :foul:
I did consider it, but I'm looking for an all-in-one portable case setup. I'll still have room for about another 5-6 modules, I think. Not that I'm planning on getting any more in the near future. Would a 2000ma power adapter sort me out?

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm

You might also want to check out Modular Grid to help plan your system. It has approximate power values for most modules that exist and will help you plan your layout and power needs. Keep in mind that you want to keep ~25% leeway on your power supply. Just because you have for example, a 2000mA supply, doesn't mean you want to load it up with exactly 2000mA worth of modules.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm

I'll probably catch some flak for saying this but I'm my opinion "saving" headroom with the uZeus is a wasted effort and cash spend. Go ahead and load it down. If you are trying to draw too much current it simply will not power up and will blink its lights at you to let you know you are trying to overwork it. Then either remove one of two modules or buy another uZeus. I have 106 active modules being powered by 4 of these little puppies (with the Mantis bricks) and none even get warm to the touch. Love'm. Only downside in my eyes is the HP they take up in the racks.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

Return to “Eurorack Modules”