New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ari ellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by ari ellis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:16 pm

I was watching Ricky Tinez's latest video ( and noticed what looks like a new intellijel wavefolder in his rack (the "bifold")! Seems to be two folders with a crossfader?

This looks very exciting to me.

EDIT: Renamed thread for clarity.
Last edited by ari ellis on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by Trebbers » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Image

Interesting. Not super clear what's going on w/the symmetry/aux/fold arrangement at the top. Would be convenient to do parallel wavefolding in the module itself. Wonder if there's any kind of option on the pcb to change the # of stages as on the µFold.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by cackland » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Thought this was coming.

Wondering if this was a bit of a blooper on Ricky's part.. Unless Intellijel allowed this sly reveal.

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 am

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Likely to be sick.

User avatar
Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:20 am
Location: CNX and MAN

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by Muff McMuff » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:09 pm


User avatar
megarat
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by megarat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:45 pm

Intriguing. That looks like it would be a lot of fun to pair with my Rubicon 2 and Dixie 2+, complex VCO style. I also noticed that Intellijel now lists the uFold II as a legacy product.

For the experts: what are the differences between Parallel vs Serge-style wavefolding, and what is offered in the uFold II? (I.e., would this replace or complement a uFold II?)
Last edited by megarat on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 pm
Contact:

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by NoLegs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 am

Interesting, sounds similar to the Antimatter Audio Crossfold, in theory.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 am
Location: Neverland

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by pablowdadon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:39 am

NoLegs wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 am
Interesting, sounds similar to the Antimatter Audio Crossfold, in theory.
Funny, I always thought that Crossfold was similar to MI Warps :mrgreen:
Image

That’s a lovely update, considering that's a really common technique (ie recent 0 Coast) and would save up room for other modules.
I think it replaces both Azimuth and uFold II quite well.
Wondering if it’s DC coupled, that could be even more fun.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Location: nyc

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by closedLoop » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 am

I hope better examples surface, hopefully with an oscilloscope view of the signal.

While I'm intrigued that it's got both Buchla and Serge style circuits, I'm not so interested based on this video, and I just love wavefolders.

User avatar
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10196
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by exper » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 am

:intellijel: :eyes: :zen:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: CV.OCD / Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

Image

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7099
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am

** Intellijel Dixie II+
** Intellijel Rubicon 2
** Intellijel uFoldII
** Intellijel Shapeshifter.
** WMD/SSF Ultrafold.
** Doepfer Dual Ring Modulator.
** Happy Nerding FM Aid.
** (4) Doepfer Quad VCA/Voltage Controlled 4ch Mixer (deeply helpful module when paired with various wavefolders since many of them are very sensitive to input gain levels).

This is what I have going on in the manner of folding/wavetable stuffs. I'm wondering if this new Double Wammy Fold-A-Matic gadget by Intellijel would find a place in my rig? I reckon I'd need to hear the thing in use before any decisions are made.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by rew_ » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am

can this thread please be re-named simply and clearly after the module? there's already been a second thread started and in six or 12 months this is going to be useless for search purposes.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by ari ellis » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:17 am

rew_ wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am
can this thread please be re-named simply and clearly after the module? there's already been a second thread started and in six or 12 months this is going to be useless for search purposes.
Good call. Can I do this somewhere, or do we need a mod to step in?

EDIT: Figured it out, never mind me.
Last edited by ari ellis on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by ari ellis » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:19 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am
** Intellijel Dixie II+
** Intellijel Rubicon 2
** Intellijel uFoldII
** Intellijel Shapeshifter.
** WMD/SSF Ultrafold.
** Doepfer Dual Ring Modulator.
** Happy Nerding FM Aid.
** (4) Doepfer Quad VCA/Voltage Controlled 4ch Mixer (deeply helpful module when paired with various wavefolders since many of them are very sensitive to input gain levels).

This is what I have going on in the manner of folding/wavetable stuffs. I'm wondering if this new Double Wammy Fold-A-Matic gadget by Intellijel would find a place in my rig? I reckon I'd need to hear the thing in use before any decisions are made.
I've got the Rubicon 2 and Dixie 2+ as well --- I've longed for a crossfader + wavefolder, but couldn't justify the HP in my case (especially after the uFold was discontinued). I'm having my first eurorack fanboy moment: if this thing sounds as good as the other intellijel folders have, it might just be an insta-buy for me.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7099
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 am

rew_ wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am
can this thread please be re-named simply and clearly after the module? there's already been a second thread started and in six or 12 months this is going to be useless for search purposes.
I thought it was still in pre-production? If so, it may not even be named the same by the time it comes out. I think the (searchable) terms such as Intellijel Bifold have been written enough (and will be even more as this thread moves on) that a search will bring this thread up.

Intellijel Bifold
Intellijel Bifold
Intellijel Bifold
Intellijel Bifold

heheh .... :yay:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by rew_ » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am

ari ellis wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:17 am
rew_ wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am
can this thread please be re-named simply and clearly after the module? there's already been a second thread started and in six or 12 months this is going to be useless for search purposes.
Good call. Can I do this somewhere, or do we need a mod to step in?

EDIT: Figured it out, never mind me.
thank you!

User avatar
nios
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm
Location: lost in a dream

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by nios » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Looks extremely solid and clever. It seems the Fold knob hits both types of folders at once though; the only way to control them individually is via CV it looks like?

User avatar
numan7
the most autistic amongst us
Posts: 6494
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by numan7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:01 pm

oh my... (4 ufades and ufold-ii's here), that sure looks interesting - want to see how different / complementary it sounds w.r.t. ufold-ii... !


cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1168
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:04 pm

looks nice, would like to hear how close the S folder gets to the Serge Wave Multipliers sound. I was never too crazy about the uFold which I gather was more Buchla inspired.

I'll guess that the described ring modulation can be done because the left input is normalized to the right input, and there's a phase switch that probably inverts one of those channels. so you can patch a signal into the P input and its inverted copy will be on the S side, and you'd get the same result as 4-quadrant multiplication by patching the modulator into XFade.

User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: New intellijel wavefolder?

Post by rew_ » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 am
rew_ wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am
can this thread please be re-named simply and clearly after the module? there's already been a second thread started and in six or 12 months this is going to be useless for search purposes.
I thought it was still in pre-production? If so, it may not even be named the same by the time it comes out. I think the (searchable) terms such as Intellijel Bifold have been written enough (and will be even more as this thread moves on) that a search will bring this thread up.
There was *already* a duplicate thread, so clearly the relevant search terms had not been written enough.

If Intellijel changes the name before releasing to the public....the name of this thread could again be changed! This isn't hard!

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7099
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:11 pm

Haahaa! Whatever makes ya happy.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by rew_ » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:11 pm
Haahaa! Whatever makes ya happy.
Yeah I dunno it's not about making me happy, seems like a really simple thing that will improve the forum for myself and more importantly future users. I didn't say anything funny

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7099
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 am

rew_ wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:31 pm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:11 pm
Haahaa! Whatever makes ya happy.
Yeah I dunno it's not about making me happy, seems like a really simple thing that will improve the forum for myself and more importantly future users. I didn't say anything funny
Oh take it easy will ya? You'll live longer! :)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...


User avatar
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10196
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: New intellijel wavefolder/crossfader: bifold

Post by exper » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:18 am

:sb: :intellijel:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: CV.OCD / Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”