Cosmotronic Cosmix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

kybernetik
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Cosmotronic Cosmix

Post by kybernetik » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:06 am

Modules are shipped and on their way to retailers! Should be available at:

Escape from Noise, SW
Elevator Sound, UK
Matttech Modular, UK
Signal Sounds, UK
House of Sound, CH
Synthesizer.gr, GR
Schneiders Laden, DE
Thomann, DE
Perfect Circuit, USA
Last edited by kybernetik on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Cosmotronic -

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:24 am

Great! :yay:

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:40 am

Very handsome module and nice sounding feature set. No CV over panning is fine by me, personally. Can patch up a panner and utilize the 5+ or 7+8 inputs.

Pre-drive expander as mentioned is nice, and could probable squeeze a headphone out in there ;)

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:45 am

kybernetik wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 am
minatorymodular wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 pm
I'm just curious about the compressor and drive. What circuits were used for each?
It's based around a dual v2153, which is a clone of the JRC2153 Sound Enhancement Processor, which was in turn based on the BBE Sonic Maximizer.
Basically it gives you a high and a low band, and let's you drive the gain for each band. It makes everything sound a lot more beefy.
The next stage is a diode clipping distortion.

After that is a buffered stereo attenuator, to easily bring down the level again after high gain distortion.
You should definitely add that info, as well as the fact that it has "a small JST-SH connector for extra left/right input and one for a stereo output before the drive circuit" to the official module description on your website and modulargrid. I think those two features, plus clarification on the function of the swithes (pre/post, which also many people will appreciate) will make it more appealing to a lot of people.

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Pre-ordered mine at Perfect Circuit a couple weeks ago and just got shipping notification yesterday!
Arrives Monday (unless USPS bungles it).

PC still shows it as a pre-order though so either their page is out of date, or their first batch was already spoken-for.

Excited! A perfect drum mixer to send into my WMD Performance Mixer.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Great looking mixer! Definitely interested.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

tiagoreil
1-Post Wiggler

Post by tiagoreil » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:33 pm

rbhansen wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm
Pre-ordered mine at Perfect Circuit a couple weeks ago and just got shipping notification yesterday!
Arrives Monday (unless USPS bungles it).

PC still shows it as a pre-order though so either their page is out of date, or their first batch was already spoken-for.

Excited! A perfect drum mixer to send into my WMD Performance Mixer.
Me too, Perfect Circuit sent it yesterday! Very cool mixer!

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am

Received mine from Perfect Circuit a week or so ago and have had it racked since.

I'm really enjoying this module quite a bit. I was running out of inputs on my WMD Performance Mixer so I'm using the Cosmix to sum a handful of drum voices before sending them over. The overdrive is really nice and helps glue the drums together...I just leave it on all the time and dial in the saturation to taste. The mute switches and faders work as expected, though I would have liked it better if the faders had built-in LEDs to show level (eg like Batumi, Stages, Performance Mixer) but it's not a deal killer. Feels like just the right mix of mono and stereo channels for my purposes and I quite like the aux send for different effects duties. Having pre/post on the sends has been really useful too. I think the only design change I would have made is to put the aux trimmers above the pan trimmers--I tend to "play" the aux sends more than pans (which are more "set and forget") and it gets a little tight in there when it's all cabled up. But all in all, I'm very pleased with this module--it does exactly what I wanted and sounds great!

So finally, a question--does anyone know if the WMD clear fader caps will fit on these faders?

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks for the report. Would like to hear how others experience the cosmix so far...

kybernetik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kybernetik » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:25 am

Thanks for the report rbhansen, and I'm glad you enjoy the module! :tu:
rbhansen wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am
I think the only design change I would have made is to put the aux trimmers above the pan trimmers--I tend to "play" the aux sends more than pans (which are more "set and forget") and it gets a little tight in there when it's all cabled up. But all in all, I'm very pleased with this module--it does exactly what I wanted and sounds great!
Funny, the first prototype actually had the aux trimmers on top, but we felt the pan knobs needed to be more reachable, so we switched them around, with aux being more set-and-forget.

But I can definitely see the workflow of playing the aux faders, so that's a good point.
- Cosmotronic -

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 am

if all ch of this module are focused on stereo/panning, why is the aux mono out then?

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 am
if all ch of this module are focused on stereo/panning, why is the aux mono out then?
The aux is the send out, and the send is only available on the mono channels. Honestly, this makes a lot of sense to me.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:38 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Kind of a good question. The mono channels all pan left and right. Kinda would make sense to have stereo aux-outs.

I like it as is though. I would send the four mono channels out the aux into something like the Rainmaker, Desmodus, or Z-DSP which I believe all spit out stereo signals. I’d run them fully wet and then back into the Cosmix. Maybe mult the Aux out and one into delay and one into reverb and then both back in stereo. Is this kind of the idea with this module?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:34 am

if the aux is mono, is the pan position and the relative loudness of it of the mono ch then taken into account on the aux send?

kybernetik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kybernetik » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:08 am

wavejockey wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:34 am
if the aux is mono, is the pan position and the relative loudness of it of the mono ch then taken into account on the aux send?
The AUX output is mono, and is only available to the four mono inputs. The AUX output is tapped pre- or post-fader, selectable by a switch under the fader. This is all before the panning pot, so panning level has no effect on the aux send level.

If you are sending the aux to an effect that returns a stereo channel (many options these days), you can route the return to the stereo channel in. If you are sending it to a mono effect, you could patch the return into a mono input, and use the panning of that channel if you want to position it in the stereo field.
- Cosmotronic -

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm

On sale and in stock @ PC, couldn't pass it up...

deddylars
Common Wiggler

Post by deddylars » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:40 pm

pekbro wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm
On sale and in stock @ PC, couldn't pass it up...
Samesies. Didn't want to sleep on it (Especially after kybernetik phantom-editted out "...if we make another run of it" a couple posts back).

kybernetik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kybernetik » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:11 am

deddylars wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:40 pm
Samesies. Didn't want to sleep on it (Especially after kybernetik phantom-editted out "...if we make another run of it" a couple posts back).
Not sneaky enough I guess :lol:
- Cosmotronic -

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Pretty much all hardware mixing desks have independent mono aux sends :hmm:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 am

indeed, but do they take note of the panning weight on the send, that was my question

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:06 am

wavejockey wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 am
indeed, but do they take note of the panning weight on the send, that was my question
If you're sending multiple signals to a mono aux-out and for some reason it was designed to take into consideration the panning of each signal wouldn't that ultimately end up being the same effect as a volume level control for each signal?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:54 am

that's why they have pre/post fader aux sends

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 am

good question - you're essentially wondering if the aux send - when used post fader - takes into account the left/right balance of a stereo signal?

thinking about it, you'd imagine so - as the signal has already been balanced before hitting the fader (in theory), but I'm not 100% on that

kybernetik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kybernetik » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 am

matttech wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 am
good question - you're essentially wondering if the aux send - when used post fader - takes into account the left/right balance of a stereo signal?

thinking about it, you'd imagine so - as the signal has already been balanced before hitting the fader (in theory), but I'm not 100% on that
In this module the signal chain goes :

Mute -> (○) -> Fader -> (◘) -> Panning -> (Drive)-> Main volume

So the AUX signal is tapped pre-fader (○), or post-fader (◘), but always before Panning.
My reasoning was that Aux is a mono-bus, so it's tapped before the signal is panned to stereo.

I hope that clears up the signal path
- Cosmotronic -

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 am

of course - I forgot that there weren't any aux sends on the stereo channels! (I thought Wavejockey was referring to the balance on those channels....)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”