"paradigm shift" modules from your experience

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

pelang
Common Wiggler

Re: "paradigm shift" modules from your experience

Post by pelang » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 am

color coded patching.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 am

electricanada wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:30 pm
Ras Thavas wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:39 pm
The Cocoquantus is indeed a magical box in my experience. The Quantussy, the center 5 oscillator complex modulation source, is deep and musical. It should also be mentioned that the delays, while being lo-fi, sound great as well. I love to see both broken out into eurorack modules in the Mobenthey line.
You can patch program the quantussys in euro.
Absolutely! (But they never seem to have exactly the same behavior as the Quantussy itself.)

https://pugix.com/synth/eurorack-quantussy-cells/
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:34 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:28 am
For me it was Wav players and Granular. I started with a ADDAC101, then got another, then mad a couple of modules using the WaveTrigger PCB from SparkFun. Then I got my first Nebulae v1. Bought another. Got a 4ms STS. Sold one Nebulae and bought a couple of v2 versions. Dismantled the WaveTrigger modules (destined to ba a Mellotron someday), and got a Tesseract Nutella (based on the more powerful SparkFun Tsunami PCB). Basically sold all the VCOs in my system except two AS RS-90's I still have (I mangled the panels drilling holes in them so fell bad selling them). Completely changed the way I use my modular. I make complex timbres, sequences, abstract sounds and more on my Nords or computer, and burn them onto media and play them on the modular. I have tripled the number of filters in my rig.
Very cool. I can totally relate to this. It’s an approach I’ve been considering diving into further. I’ve been contemplating going on a filter frenzy myself for these reasons. Do you still use the ADDAC 101?
I have two of them (one Red and one Gold) and had them up for sale for a long time at half of retail. I racked them up after months in a box and sort of dig them all over again. They are rather straight ahead players, and do the standard stuff (sample rate, file size, file position) but have some nice extras like an Envelope follower and VCA built in. The file structure is not as nice as the 4ms STS and it can't hold as many files and access them as easily. You are restricted to a particular naming convention (A-Z, followed by 0-9, followed by AA-ZZ and file "B" must be less than 500k in size for some reason) and there is a nice program to rename and strip out extra stuff Mac systems leave on the disc. I basically have too many players as it is so might let one or both go. PM me if interested an I can give you the details.
Last edited by ersatzplanet on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:52 pm

in this order for me:

_Mute- and A-B switches anyway ! since begin for me. since i was aware of how important mute switches are was i quite rapidly starting to add mute switches and Bypass switches to my DIY modules.
Honestly, is patching a modern modular not to a big big big degree a thing of comparing state 1 with state 2 ...while patching ?
NO mute- and A-B switches, NO fun patching !

_LPGs !...first some DIY vs. Fonitronik, then my own PCB take on same with added functionality, then the Natural Gate. Story told. Thats modular

_Wavetable VCOs !....first the Modcan VCDO, then long nothing and a bit of E350, then the E370. ALL by the same DSP artist, Eric Brombough.
Story told, Thats a Synthseizer ;) ( reflected just right now by the market / many years to late btw. )

_ohh yes, color coded patching ...........PLUS having all needed colours in all needed Lengths in enough numbers.
(Don´t ask me how much patch cables i have now, its insane)

_Crossfaders. i use only one mixer mostly, a HN 3x stereo at the end of the chain, sometimes a second one for percussions, ( both have muteswitches btw.)
*everything else" do i handle now by using crossfaders ! i quasi allways use 3-4-5 up to 7-8 crossfaders just for a single voice
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Blinds × Maths × Tides feels like a universe of shapes to explore. Each one is super capable, and together exponentially more possibilities. These make my system feel modular, are the foundation for many patches, and play well with so many other modules.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:52 pm
... <snip> ...

_Crossfaders. i use only one mixer mostly, a HN 3x stereo at the end of the chain, sometimes a second one for percussions, ( both have muteswitches btw.)
*everything else" do i handle now by using crossfaders ! i quasi allways use 3-4-5 up to 7-8 crossfaders just for a single voice
I'm curious. Do you use manual crossfaders or VCA powered ones.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 pm

CaneMan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:52 pm
... <snip> ...

I'm curious. Do you use manual crossfaders or VCA powered ones.
I use a mix of both. My weight when patching is mostoften on the manual control,
but i like to have the CV as a available option, ofcourse.
But i use the CV controls not that much ( though, i really lack some suitable modulation sources)

its also a thing of that the happy nerding dual Xfade is not that long on the market and i still have my old units.
The WMD Blender for example is a triple crossfader, with just one under CV control. But its doing it for me.
and i have places where i indeeed prefer to have a triple xfade unit installed, with less CV control options.
( for example patching with tube saturation/distortion, crossfading three distortion units against each opther.
its that type of patching where you really can compare modules against each other, and important: "sound ......by sound .....by sound", again and again by new..
Thats the way to get to know the modules from the "soundaspect" side of the things.
Crossfaders, muteswitsches and A-B switches play here a **HUGE** role.
For this type of things is the CV aspect entirely in the backround for me. really just a option, nice to have, but mostoften unused)

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:06 am

Funky40 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 pm
I use a mix of both. My weight when patching is mostoften on the manual control,
but i like to have the CV as a available option, ofcourse.
But i use the CV controls not that much ( though, i really lack some suitable modulation sources)

its also a thing of that the happy nerding dual Xfade is not that long on the market and i still have my old units.
The WMD Blender for example is a triple crossfader, with just one under CV control. But its doing it for me.
and i have places where i indeeed prefer to have a triple xfade unit installed, with less CV control options.
( for example patching with tube saturation/distortion, crossfading three distortion units against each opther.
its that type of patching where you really can compare modules against each other, and important: "sound ......by sound .....by sound", again and again by new..
Thats the way to get to know the modules from the "soundaspect" side of the things.
Crossfaders, muteswitsches and A-B switches play here a **HUGE** role.
For this type of things is the CV aspect entirely in the backround for me. really just a option, nice to have, but mostoften unused)
Thank you for the information. The only dedicated crossfade circuit in my rack is in a Bastl Hendrikson. I'm starting to think that I should either use that more as a general crossfader or patch one up from a couple of spare VCA's or... Oh yes. Another use for Disting.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am

Speaking of cross faders, the Starling Via META module is a kind of paradigm shift in the way I think about cross fading. It's a generalized cross fade between two patchable voltages, fixed or moving, where the contour of the control signal is internally generated, making for perfect endpoints (A=0, B=full to B=0, A=full) and providing audio rate fades (Drum or Oscillator), envelope and LFO fades, and even multi-stepped fades.

https://pugix.com/synth/starling-via-meta/
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am

pugix wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am
Speaking of cross faders, the Starling Via META module is a kind of paradigm shift in the way I think about cross fading.
interesting, i never heard of this one.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am
pugix wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am
Speaking of cross faders, the Starling Via META module is a kind of paradigm shift in the way I think about cross fading.
interesting, i never heard of this one.
The Via platform is pretty interesting. Some of the firmware/panel options don't quite fit the analog design of the hardware, but the way in which they don't fit invites some exploration, if that makes sense. I bought a Scanner at last year's Knobcon and then switched it to Sync3. I might switch it to Osc3 for a while because the "beat frequency" trigger output for detuned oscillators seems like fun... like oscillator sync turned inside out.

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm
The Via platform is pretty interesting. Some of the firmware/panel options don't quite fit the analog design of the hardware, but the way in which they don't fit invites some exploration, if that makes sense. I bought a Scanner at last year's Knobcon and then switched it to Sync3. I might switch it to Osc3 for a while because the "beat frequency" trigger output for detuned oscillators seems like fun... like oscillator sync turned inside out.
I highly suggest trying SYNC &META, they are the two deepest/most interesting starling modules in my experience. It's great you can just swap panels & reflash. I have SYNC3, META & SYNC.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

The Via series really needs a nice long walkthrough video for each of the modules. Especially Meta and Scanner, which can be intimidating and confusing when you're trying to read the documentation (though the quickstart guide for Meta seems much clearer).

[EDIT] OK, I remembered/found Pugix's guide to Meta and it's a bit more clear.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm
The Via series really needs a nice long walkthrough video for each of the modules. Especially Meta and Scanner, which can be intimidating and confusing when you're trying to read the documentation (though the quickstart guide for Meta seems much clearer).
Would love this. Have tried messing around with them in VCV to see if it clicks, sometimes I think I get it but pretty quickly I'm reminded I don't :despair:

cierny_vlk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cierny_vlk » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:10 pm

I just discovered the Future Sound Systems Makrow, and it already has me thinking about patching in a whole new way. I haven't even received it yet and I'm planning new experiments around it.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Bubblesound booster stage

Has turned my mackie mixer into a giant glue module, with all audio from the rack (plus a keyboard, iPad and tape deck) patched into the mixer channels and the 4 aux sends all permanently connected to the rack via the booster stage for whatever sampling, filtering, distortion, feedback or other craziness awaits.

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:54 pm

ersatzplanet wrote: I have two of them (one Red and one Gold) and had them up for sale for a long time at half of retail. I racked them up after months in a box and sort of dig them all over again. They are rather straight ahead players, and do the standard stuff (sample rate, file size, file position) but have some nice extras like an Envelope follower and VCA built in.
Yea; I think for what they do and how they do it, they're actually pretty special.
I've had my red wp101 up for sale for literally years, but keep thinking to myself that I should pop it back in the rack.
There's something really interesting about the jitter I get from the playback when triggering it, and the file position thing – although it can be found in other modules like radiomusic – is pretty choice (it should be mentioned that the way file position works is completely different depending on the module, which is a great reason to try different players). I like the overall sound of it and personally find it to be a very interesting use of arduino technology. Usually I would look down on a module for using arduino (speed), but it seems to fit perfectly and I've enjoyed the implementation. Not sure if you can even get these any more, but agreed that the VCA/ env follower are two awesome features. I agree that setting up a 101 is trying at times, but there are ways to make it faster.

Honestly; I don't think I can narrow down to even a list of modules yielding paradigm shifts; one of the beauties of euro is to see how different people approach similar problems and arrive and completely disparate and novel solutions.

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:02 am
I’ve got another one that’s so modest it almost sounds silly: mute switches

Once you have some good mute switches (DivKid Mutes, Joranalogue Switch4, etc) in your rack and you start using them on CV instead of audio—particularly trigger and gate streams—your relationship to patching changes drastically. Suddenly, you’re compartmentalizing portions of your patch, and previously relentless things are now sluices you activate intuitively.
That is a really nice idea, thanks. I have no mutes (or space) but conceptually its a great techniques & I'm sure there are other ways of doing it

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 am

Mungo d0. It changed everything.

newrun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newrun » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Puscha wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 am
monome ansible for me! kria app controlled with a grid has been most immediate, intuitive and musical sequencer I've come across. It makes the Rene 2 and Usta feel slow and clunky by comparison (I ended up selling both to get a second ansible!).
How long does it take to get up to speed with it? The grid seems to make so much sense, taking the control surface out of the rack, saving hp while giving you a sort of a "knob-per-function" feel. But at the same time, it seems so opaque.

Puscha
Common Wiggler

Post by Puscha » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm

newrun wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:49 pm
Puscha wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 am
monome ansible for me! kria app controlled with a grid has been most immediate, intuitive and musical sequencer I've come across. It makes the Rene 2 and Usta feel slow and clunky by comparison (I ended up selling both to get a second ansible!).
How long does it take to get up to speed with it? The grid seems to make so much sense, taking the control surface out of the rack, saving hp while giving you a sort of a "knob-per-function" feel. But at the same time, it seems so opaque.
Like anything it will take some time to learn and get used to, but I think you can become familiar with it pretty quickly. It's very intuitive. Seems opaque without labels, but there's not too much to remember, really.

I recently made this video tutorial to help, actually:

newrun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newrun » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:38 pm

Puscha wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm
I recently made this video tutorial to help, actually:

I started watching the video. Very nice job. Thanks for putting it together. I'll probably go over it several times.

Puscha
Common Wiggler

Post by Puscha » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 am

newrun wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:38 pm
I started watching the video. Very nice job. Thanks for putting it together. I'll probably go over it several times.
You're welcome! Such a good sequencer that seems to go under the radar a lot, I enjoy sharing the love!

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:14 am

Puscha wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 am
newrun wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:38 pm
You're welcome! Such a good sequencer that seems to go under the radar a lot, I enjoy sharing the love!
I was interested in either Grid or Arc but neither is available right now... Especially Arc seems a lot of fun, even if the price is quite high :eek:

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:43 am

For me:

-attenuators and off sets, less is more
-logic and how to combine things
-patch programability, its more than whats written on the tin

Return to “Eurorack Modules”