Looking for your feedback

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

shize312
Common Wiggler

Looking for your feedback

Post by shize312 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:13 am

Hello lads,

I have got some feedback already in the eurorack section but i would also like to expand the options to other forum sections, in order to find even more different points of view.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1250998

This one linked above is my “under construction” case: MN Wogglebug, MI Rings, Erica Synths Quant and the Doepfer multi are already in, the ES-9 has been pre-ordered and hopefully will come within next month!
In the case you won’t see any logic nor utility and function generator modules as they will be kindly provided by VCV!
LFOs and EGs are coming from a Minibrute 2S.

Nothing too complicated for me at the beginning, just will try some drony-glitchy stuff, but still, i can see i will have a tons of sonic possibilities to try out and learn.

So, what do you think about this eurorack case with the given options? will i manage to get what i am looking for? what would you change and/or add?

Cheers.
Last edited by shize312 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grinder
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Looking for your feedback

Post by Grinder » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:43 am

Looks like fun! Maybe look into a sequencer eventually. Don’t be afraid of the used market I wish I would have considered it when I started! Best place to start is to start though it’s a journey no matter what. Cheers!

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:30 am

Grinder wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:43 am
Looks like fun! Maybe look into a sequencer eventually. Don’t be afraid of the used market I wish I would have considered it when I started! Best place to start is to start though it’s a journey no matter what. Cheers!
Hi Grinder, thanks for the great piece of advice!

The sequencer, at least for now, will be the one from the 2S (i am not a sequencer kind of person ah ah); i just would like to know if i can take anything nice out of this system?

About the used market in this days i see a lot of great offers, truly appealing ones but i am a bit afraid to come into a bad deal (damaged modules etc)!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

shize312 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:13 am
Hello lads,

I have got some feedback already in the eurorack section but i would also like to expand the options to other forum sections, in order to find even more different points of view.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1250998

This one linked above is my “under construction” case: MN Wogglebug, MI Rings, Erica Synths Quant and the Doepfer multi are already in, the ES-9 has been pre-ordered and hopefully will come within next month!
In the case you won’t see any VCAs nor logic, utility or effect modules because, now that i am just starting out, they will be provided by VCV, as well as a filter, LFOs, EG and a sequencer as for now i will use the ones built in in the Arturia Minibrute 2S.

Nothing too complicated for me at the beginning, just will try some drony-glitchy stuff, but still, i can see i will have a tons of sonic possibilities to try out and learn.

So, what do you think about this eurorack case with the given options? will i manage to get what i am looking for? what would you change and/or add?

Cheers.
Welcome, shize! Believe it or not, women, non-binary and even some adult men hang out here too :hihi: Please try to keep threads in the appropriate sub-forum so anything about eurorack goes in eurorack. It's fine to solicit general modular synth opinions, but if you're asking about euro modules this is the best place!

That said, Maths provides lots of logic and utility functions... I would want a VCA or two even with software supplements. I like the Make Noise ones because they also function as mixers-- especially moddemix and optomix. Moddemix is super cool and is my favorite MN module after Maths, but it has a rough weird sound that not everyone likes. Optomix is a low pass gate, but it works with control voltages, too.

I would probably want a traditional oscillator even if you don't plan on the traditional synth waveforms for the purpose of audio rate modulation.

Apart from that, go slowly and have fun!

Sookilala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sookilala » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:56 pm

I would say if you plan to leave some of the heavy lifting to the computer initially, buy things for your rack that the computer doesn't do so well. The MI stuff can all be run inside VCV rack, computers are excellent at things like quantization of cv. I realize you have added this stuff to your rack already, just some thoughts

Things like Filters, VCAs or LPGs can have a lot of character and would be good to add to your system physically.

If I was designing a small system to play with a computer I would leave the sequencing and function generation to the computer. And physically have analog oscillator, Filter/vcas or LPGs. Then expand from there

Maybe consider adding a discrete VCA? Xaoc Talin is beautiful, relatively cheap and small with bucketloads of character

my 2c, but the beautiful thing about modular is you are designing 'YOUR' system, so welcome and enjoy :)

Sookilala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sookilala » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:58 pm

also never had a bad experience buying second hand, I this is a niche electronics market and people who buy tend to be into it as a passion, and tend to look after what they buy.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:07 am

Sookilala wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:56 pm
I would say if you plan to leave some of the heavy lifting to the computer initially, buy things for your rack that the computer doesn't do so well. The MI stuff can all be run inside VCV rack, computers are excellent at things like quantization of cv. I realize you have added this stuff to your rack already, just some thoughts

Things like Filters, VCAs or LPGs can have a lot of character and would be good to add to your system physically.

If I was designing a small system to play with a computer I would leave the sequencing and function generation to the computer. And physically have analog oscillator, Filter/vcas or LPGs. Then expand from there

Maybe consider adding a discrete VCA? Xaoc Talin is beautiful, relatively cheap and small with bucketloads of character

my 2c, but the beautiful thing about modular is you are designing 'YOUR' system, so welcome and enjoy :)
Thanks for the reply; i never seen it this way and it makes a lot of sense!
I've got some MI in my rack because i like to have hands on on them (Plaits is quite difficult to find as well, i've noticed, but it's still to be shipped so, i might change my mind, cancel the order and go for an analog VCO like Ts-L maybe?). I wouldn't buy a Marbles or an Elements for now, for example, because i think that they are too much of a dive and i do not want things get boring!
For sure i am missing a filter and will be added a soon as i understand which is the right filter for me; i love the Wasp from Doepfer but i would like to have some feedback about it before buying it... And VCAs, well, i still need to wrap my head around them :hihi: : been playing in VCV but i think i still did not understand how and where to use them in order to take out all their potential.

Having the a Minibrute 2S is a big help though: it can provide until 5 LFOs, 3 ADSR and 1 AD envelope generators plus the amazing built in sequencer with 4 tracks, where two can be repatched creating two new different pitch tracks patchable anywhere you like!
Last edited by shize312 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 am

Update: i cancelled the order for the MI Plaits which i wanted to have mainly for its granular mode; now looking for a nice sounding VCO, any suggestions? the Odessa is truly appealing.
I am still not sure about the VCA though, but i might go with the Quad VCA from Intellijel which is a mixer as well as a quad cascade VCA... i think that the only way to find its use is to have one and play around with it!
Now head over a nice filter - what about the Vult Freak?

I still want to go toward the drony-glitchy ambient way where loads of bleep bloop sounds are welcome; my main goal is to build a small system who let me reach my goal while discovering step by step its sonic possibilities.
As everyone know this is a plan and in modular plans always change, that's why i am open to any of yours points of view!

Of course feel free to share to any kind of suggestions, advice and tips!

PS: this is something i came out with while surfing on YT looking for inspiration https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1250998

Sookilala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sookilala » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Oh awesome you have the a minibrute 2s I missed that sorry.

Odessa looks amazing, and very different to the oscillator you have in the brute. Complex oscillators could be worth looking at to. I have the furthrrrr generator which I love.

VCAs simply just turn thing up or down in voltage. you could use the to shape an audio rate signal with an envelope like you would in a subtractive synthesizer. Or you could use it to control and shape control voltages, like I have this pitch mod vibrato running, but I don't want it running constantly, so Ii could modulate it with a sine wave, so the pitch warble swells in and out... modulate the modulators. Or I could use one for audio rate modulation, that is amplitude modulation to get sum and difference harmonics added to the carrier. Or in the case of many analog VCAs I could drive the circuit to achieve saturation. My fav VCA I own is Tallin

I haven't used Vult freak so I cant make any comment on it, my fav filters in my system are Three sisters and Belgrad

again these are all just my opinions, and aren't any more valid than anyone elses, its all purely subjective :)

That rack looks like a lot of fun, would love an Odessa in my rig, so many modules so little time haha

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:28 am

Sookilala wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:05 pm
Oh awesome you have the a minibrute 2s I missed that sorry.

Odessa looks amazing, and very different to the oscillator you have in the brute. Complex oscillators could be worth looking at to. I have the furthrrrr generator which I love.

VCAs simply just turn thing up or down in voltage. you could use the to shape an audio rate signal with an envelope like you would in a subtractive synthesizer. Or you could use it to control and shape control voltages, like I have this pitch mod vibrato running, but I don't want it running constantly, so Ii could modulate it with a sine wave, so the pitch warble swells in and out... modulate the modulators. Or I could use one for audio rate modulation, that is amplitude modulation to get sum and difference harmonics added to the carrier. Or in the case of many analog VCAs I could drive the circuit to achieve saturation. My fav VCA I own is Tallin

I haven't used Vult freak so I cant make any comment on it, my fav filters in my system are Three sisters and Belgrad

again these are all just my opinions, and aren't any more valid than anyone elses, its all purely subjective :)

That rack looks like a lot of fun, would love an Odessa in my rig, so many modules so little time haha

I think the 2S is a big plus on a starting rig, that patchbay is amazing!
By the way i was checking out the Three Sisters and Belgrad filters and the latter stole my heart, it sounds so good; it is 2 hp larger than the Freak so, in order to include it in the rack i had to get rid of the Odessa expander (which was a bit too much anyway for a start).
Thanks for the great tips and suggestions!

I am leaving outside the case some logic and utility modules as well as the function generator which will come from VCV, and instead getting a quad VCA/mixer, a complex VCO and a filter (plus the Pamela, but i am still not 100% sure about it)! Now the is just about to choose the right modules even though i am pretty happy with what i've got there!

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 am

To the amazing community you are, i still need some bits of your help: given my rack, i've seen thay there are expander modules for both the Xaoc Odessa and the Pamela's New Workout.
My question is: do i REALLY need them? Bare in mind that i am just starting out exploring modular!
Cheers 🍻

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:00 pm

You don't need the expanders. It really all depends on price vs features. If the Odessa has the features you want at the price you are willing to pay then you buy it. The same process applies to the expander. What new features do you get? How much space is used. What does it cost. No difference in the decision making. It can be hard to decide if you don't have a lot of experience. You will always have the option to come back later for that expander. If you buy the expander now, it will be the first thing to go when you need to make space for something else.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Seeing as you still have 1HP left over: why not ditch the Quant and get a Disting Mk4, which includes dual quantiser functions and can do loads of other stuff, too?
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 pm
Seeing as you still have 1HP left over: why not ditch the Quant and get a Disting Mk4, which includes dual quantiser functions and can do loads of other stuff, too?
Hi Lux
I do not want to get it "because it can do a lot of other stuff" :hihi:
Seems to much of a menu diving and knowing myself it will come a lot of frustration with it; maybe it's something for the future!
And the quantizer is already in.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:32 am

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Welcome, shize! Believe it or not, women, non-binary and even some adult men hang out here too :hihi:
In many parts of the UK and (even more so) in Ireland, ‘lads’ has become very much a non-exclusionary term when it comes to gender. I often call my mum and / or my significant other (she’s a she) ‘lad’.

My girlfriend consistently refers to her largely female friendship group as ‘the lads’.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am

shize312 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Hi Lux
Seems to much of a menu diving and knowing myself it will come a lot of frustration with it; maybe it's something for the future!
Fair enough, if you already have the Quant in the rack. Having just put my own, first Eurorack together I know how fiddly the Disting can appear to start with.

Then again, it only costs 10 GBP more than a Quant - even if you only wind up using one other function, that's still great value. Yes, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but there are trickier modules to learn and once you get into using a Disting as [function x] then that's how you'll get to know it better as a whole.

I bought one and it almost immediately became a slow, clocked delay as standard. As I was looking for other modules, it was like... "maybe I should get a... oh hang on, the Disting can do that... OK how about a... ah... Disting does that too"...

...so I got another one.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Look forward to seeing how this project develops and what you end up with :sb:
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am
shize312 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Hi Lux
Fair enough, if you already have the Quant in the rack. Having just put my own, first Eurorack together I know how fiddly the Disting can appear to start with.

Then again, it only costs 10 GBP more than a Quant - even if you only wind up using one other function, that's still great value. Yes, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but there are trickier modules to learn and once you get into using a Disting as [function x] then that's how you'll get to know it better as a whole.

I bought one and it almost immediately became a slow, clocked delay as standard. As I was looking for other modules, it was like... "maybe I should get a... oh hang on, the Disting can do that... OK how about a... ah... Disting does that too"...

...so I got another one.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Look forward to seeing how this project develops and what you end up with :sb:
I'm sure the Disting is something to keep an eye on for the future.
I will keep you updated though :sb:

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

I was wondering if there is an alternative way to get that 1hp useful and the only solutions i came up with is to replace the Belgrad with another filter (Three Sisters maybe?) and free up a total of 5 hp for another module?
Any advice anyone?
Last edited by shize312 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:27 am

shize312 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am
I was wondering if there is an alternayive way to get that 1hp useful and the only solutions i came up with is to replace the Belgrad with another filter (Three Sisters maybe?) and free up a total of 5 hp for another module?
Any advice anyone?
That’s like deciding what to eat based solely on calorie content simply because your trousers are tad loose. There are much better criteria for picking a module than whether you have a spare few hp in your rack.

For what it’s worth I would get 3 Sisters over the Belgrad but that is based purely on sonic performance in the context of my rack.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 am

MarcelP wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:27 am
shize312 wrote:
I was wondering if there is an alternayive way to get that 1hp useful and the only solutions i came up with is to replace the Belgrad with another filter (Three Sisters maybe?) and free up a total of 5 hp for another module?
Any advice anyone?
That’s like deciding what to eat based solely on calorie content simply because your trousers are tad loose. There are much better criteria for picking a module than whether you have a spare few hp in your rack.

For what it’s worth I would get 3 Sisters over the Belgrad but that is based purely on sonic performance in the context of my rack.
Fair point, i have the same point of view but i've seen that the 1 free hp gets a lot of attentions and i was wondering if somebody have some valid alternative to the Belgrad.
I heard both the Three Sisters and the Belgrad just on YT videos and personally i would pick the Belgrad any day of the week. Maybe am i missing something on the Three Sisters?
Of course at the end is just about sonic performances and how you like a module but guessing if there's any alternative out there for my needs!

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am

shize312 wrote:
I was wondering if there is an alternative way to get that 1hp useful and the only solutions I came up with is to replace the Belgrad with another filter (Three Sisters maybe?) and free up a total of 5 hp for another module?
Any advice anyone?
My advice would be to drop the idea of filling a case, the quicker you are to fill a case, the quicker you will buy your next case.
Especially if it's just 1hp, wiggle (pun very much intended) room is always useful.

Alternatively, if you are set on full meaning full, DIY some midi connections for the ES-9 (super basic) and drill some holes in a blank 1 hp
... assuming you use MIDI to come capacity that would find this useful :omg:

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:02 am

ronnieb wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am
shize312 wrote:
I was wondering if there is an alternative way to get that 1hp useful and the only solutions I came up with is to replace the Belgrad with another filter (Three Sisters maybe?) and free up a total of 5 hp for another module?
Any advice anyone?
My advice would be to drop the idea of filling a case, the quicker you are to fill a case, the quicker you will buy your next case.
Especially if it's just 1hp, wiggle (pun very much intended) room is always useful.

Alternatively, if you are set on full meaning full, DIY some midi connections for the ES-9 (super basic) and drill some holes in a blank 1 hp
... assuming you use MIDI to come capacity that would find this useful :omg:
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm not planning to fill a case straight away, i'll take my time to do it!
At the moment i've got the Wogglebug, Rings, a quantizer and waiting on the ES-9; before purchasing anything else i would like to get to know as much as i can and explore what i've got!
In plus the ES-9 will allow me to use the system with VCV... i think i'll manage to fill the case in about 30 years :hihi:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 pm

I would not buy PNW with a rack this small if you have ES-9. I would get a dixie II 6HP used. That can be a LFO or VCO. I would get a smaller dual VCA, a smaller filter. I would get a quadra or a dual AD AR from ladik maybe. You also need a 3HP mixer. Maybe a 4HP dual crossfader to use as a mixer. That will save space.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 pm
I would not buy PNW with a rack this small if you have ES-9. I would get a dixie II 6HP used. That can be a LFO or VCO. I would get a smaller dual VCA, a smaller filter. I would get a quadra or a dual AD AR from ladik maybe. You also need a 3HP mixer. Maybe a 4HP dual crossfader to use as a mixer. That will save space.
That about the Pamela it's a great point, i'm not sure about it as well; i could use a clock generator/modulator from VCV anyway!
Talking LFOs and eg i feel that the Minibrute 2S i've got will give me plenty (depending on the settings you can have 2 to 5 LFO's, 1 to 3 ADSR and 1 AD eg) and i think at the moment i will focus more on to other modules e.g. filters: i love how the Belgrad "sounds" but i believe that out there is plenty of smaller choices for a system like this one...
Would you go with just a dual VCA even having a 2S?
Cheers
Last edited by shize312 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:20 am

Hi everyone, there's the Doepfer A-135-2 that got my attention; does anyone have it? could it be a smaller alternative to the Intellijel Quad VCA?

In that case i could change completely the case setup getting rid of the Pamela's NW and 1 hp blank panel and getting for instance another VCO (as a third voice) and Ochd from Instruo? any feedback on this?
Cheers

Return to “Eurorack Modules”