Filters that do not cut the bass when you turn up the res

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

LonzoB
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Filters that do not cut the bass when you turn up the res

Post by LonzoB » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:27 pm

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 am

Most filters I've used don't cut the bass when turning up the resonance, but some do.

Not all are available in Eurorack form though. The Volca Bass filter is one that isn't as far as I know, it's supposed to be a copy of the MiniKorg 700S filter, perhaps with some mods. You can raise the Q and get good bass.

The MiniBrute filter actually boosts the signal when the Q is raised, but it's a Steiner-Parker with some mods. I don't have any experience with modules of the Steiner-Parker filter.

The Dreadbox Erebus filter gives good bass with the res up.

The Analogue Solutions filter that's in the Station X, which was also available as a module, gives good bass when you turn up the res as well. It's also the only 24dB/octave filter I've used that can do this. When it's all the way up, it goes into self-oscillation, so the timbre is completely changed.

The Wasp filter seems good for bass too, although it has its own sound.

octopusdna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by octopusdna » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:11 am
octopusdna wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:05 am
Supposedly Ripples v2 is a significant improvement over the original in terms of preserving the bass -- I don't have one, but my friend does, and it seems to be true to my ears.
Odd. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the copy about the module that the new version is improved in any way when it comes to this aspect. Both the new and the old one has compensation for the resonance "loudness drop" built in.
It could totally be a placebo effect, as I haven't had a chance to hear them side by side.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 am

octopusdna wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 am
lisa wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:11 am
octopusdna wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:05 am
Supposedly Ripples v2 is a significant improvement over the original in terms of preserving the bass -- I don't have one, but my friend does, and it seems to be true to my ears.
Odd. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the copy about the module that the new version is improved in any way when it comes to this aspect. Both the new and the old one has compensation for the resonance "loudness drop" built in.
It could totally be a placebo effect, as I haven't had a chance to hear them side by side.
Yeah, that’d be my guess. In any case it seems as if Ripples is a good answer to the OP. 🙂
IR wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 am
gives good bass with the res up
Even with the cutoff set high?
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 am

I recall, the Moog MF-101 pedal removed lots of bass when the res is turned up .... hence, I sold it.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 pm

djd_oz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 am
I recall, the Moog MF-101 pedal removed lots of bass when the res is turned up .... hence, I sold it.
was it an early big briar one ? mine thumps and squeals simultaneously

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:10 pm

My Tiptop Z2040 keeps its lower frequencies intact when the resonance is increased, like it's Sequential forbears.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 am

lisa wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 am
IR wrote:
Well, that one gets into self-oscillation pretty fast, somewhere after the halfway point. Up until there it keeps the bass, but when you add in a lot of self-oscillation you're adding in high frequencies. You can still get good bass with the Q cranked all the way, but you have to turn the frequency knob way down.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:04 am

IR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 am
lisa wrote:
IR wrote:
Well, that one gets into self-oscillation pretty fast, somewhere after the halfway point. Up until there it keeps the bass, but when you add in a lot of self-oscillation you're adding in high frequencies. You can still get good bass with the Q cranked all the way, but you have to turn the frequency knob way down.
Sure, if you set the cutoff low the resonance will boost low frequencies but this thread is about filters that keep low frequencies of the source material even if the cutoff and resonance is set high. Most filters don’t do that but some do, thanks to clever engineering trickery.

Filter 8 is the best example that I know.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 am

lisa wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:04 am
IR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 am
lisa wrote:
IR wrote:
Sure, if you set the cutoff low the resonance will boost low frequencies but this thread is about filters that keep low frequencies of the source material even if the cutoff and resonance is set high. Most filters don’t do that but some do, thanks to clever engineering trickery.

Filter 8 is the best example that I know.
Not all filters go into auto-oscillation as fast, some only all the way up, some never. The Doepfer WASP filter never does, hence it doesn't lose bass.

Then again, there are filters that if you turn the Q just a bit, say to 9 o' clock, you start losing bass. I find ones where you can turn the Q up halfway and it doesn't lose bass useful for bass lines.

Not sure what source material you're talking about because when they go into full self-oscillation there is very little of the "source material" present unless there is less auto-oscillation to begin with.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:51 am

IR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 am
Not sure what source material you're talking about because when they go into full self-oscillation there is very little of the "source material" present unless there is less auto-oscillation to begin with.
If I send a bassline to Filter 8 and crank up the resonance fairly high Filter 8 goes into self oscillation and from, say, the 24db lowpass output I get the bassline I sent it (filtered by Filter 8) plus the self oscillation chirp. Using Filter 8 you don’t lose the bass of the source material even if you go for screaming resonance.

From the Filter 8 product copy:
Unique voltage controlled resonance topology: all outputs resonate with absolutely no loss of low frequency response, unlike common 'bass compensation' methods.

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm

adaris wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 pm
I was playing around with Cinnamon today, it's another one that doesn't lose low end or volume in low pass mode when resonance is turned up. Maybe a bit of low end in high pass mode.
Lol, I should hope it loses some bass in high pass mode

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:43 pm

dangayle wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm
adaris wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 pm
I was playing around with Cinnamon today, it's another one that doesn't lose low end or volume in low pass mode when resonance is turned up. Maybe a bit of low end in high pass mode.
Lol, I should hope it loses some bass in high pass mode
I meant when the resonance is turned up while the cutoff frequency is held constant.

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 pm
Rossum Evolution.
What I was going to say. It has a separate Q compensation control.

Also agree with many others on Ripples, specifically the new version. I saw some definite Q comp in the spectrum analyzer when I spent some focused time first playing around with it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”