Panning and cross-fading

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Radomil
Learning to Wiggle

Panning and cross-fading

Post by Radomil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:20 pm

So I'm looking for a good module that can do both panning and Crossfade and looking at the make noise x-pan, which only has one stereo out, wmd axys which looks great but doesn't exactly pan, and doepfer a 134-1 which does both but no stereo. Does anyone have a good idea What might work? A favorite module? I'm leaning toward the axys because it's stereo and I can rig panning with separate vcas but trying to keep it simple and would prefer a module to do that. Also since my out has been 2 lines going to a mixer panned left and one right, would a panning module even work in that case? Maybe all I really need is Crossfade? Thanks!

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Re: Panning and cross-fading

Post by Peng33 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 pm

This does not do crossfading, but it looks ridiculous for placing sounds in the stereo field.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/worng-ele ... soundstage

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Happy Nerding Dual Xfade is a good / cheap / compact crossfader. It's linear, and while it's my understanding that you usually want equal power for panning audio, I've used it for panning too.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:36 pm

+1 for Dual xFade.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

Radomil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Radomil » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 am

scragz wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Happy Nerding Dual Xfade is a good / cheap / compact crossfader. It's linear, and while it's my understanding that you usually want equal power for panning audio, I've used it for panning too.
I was just looking at that one. I love happy nerding modules. Maybe I could use that in combo with a pan mix Jr. But not sure if for the price of the two together I would be better off with the x-pan?

everythingcontinues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everythingcontinues » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 am

Have you considered the Verbos Scan & Pan? Four channels of VCAs, voltage-controlled panning, and some interesting scanning functionality that might accomplish what you're looking for in the crossfading department. Each of the inputs can be nicely overdriven, as well.

I was between it and the X-Pan and went with the Scan & Pan primarily for the discrete control over level and panning of each channel.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:17 am

ADDAC 805. As with all ADDAC modules - powerful, cheap, compact, attractive, and underappreciated.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac805-vs2

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:33 am

I've just taken delivery of an AXYS this morning and it can do mono panning. From the manual...
  • Using one crossfader, mult your signal to the bottom jack of IN A and the top jack of IN B.
  • Insert a cable or dummy plug into the top jack of IN A to break the normal.
  • Use the crossfade knob or corresponding CV to pan your mono signal.
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0[/i]

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:55 am

edit: ^^^^ WHAT HE SAID

WMD AXYS does panning. I think the patch is in the manual.

You patch your mono signal to the left input of one side and the right input of the other. You need a dummy cable to break the normal on the one side.
Last edited by c0rpse on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am

Erica Synths XFade works fine.

Radomil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Radomil » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:13 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:33 am
I've just taken delivery of an AXYS this morning and it can do mono panning. From the manual...
  • Using one crossfader, mult your signal to the bottom jack of IN A and the top jack of IN B.
  • Insert a cable or dummy plug into the top jack of IN A to break the normal.
  • Use the crossfade knob or corresponding CV to pan your mono signal.
Interesting! I wonder how it compares with the x-pan? I'm wondering if it's a better idea to get separate dedicated modules for both functions. Like the axys for Crossfading and a Mono panner and panmix Jr?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Dual XFade from Happy Nerding is great except it requires 6V to go from A > B. It's such a weird requirement - most of my modules (especially gate outputting modules) put out 5V.

I wanted to use it as a Switch but I can never fully crossfade the thing. What's frustrating is there's no manual or mention of that on their website. :hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Radomil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Radomil » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:37 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Dual XFade from Happy Nerding is great except it requires 6V to go from A > B. It's such a weird requirement - most of my modules (especially gate outputting modules) put out 5V.

I wanted to use it as a Switch but I can never fully crossfade the thing. What's frustrating is there's no manual or mention of that on their website. :hmm:
Dang! That sounds like it could be tricky. I was about to order one but I'll have to see if I can get it to fully CV Crossfade with what I have or I'll look at other options.

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 pm
This does not do crossfading, but it looks ridiculous for placing sounds in the stereo field.

Soundstage combined with some VCAs can get you all kinds of panning madness. I use a Bastl Quattro Figaro, since it normals inverted CV from channels A and C to channels B and D, which makes it easy to set up panning using a single CV source per panned channel. Planar 2 is also useful, using its audio in, and its four outputs, to pan a source around the Soundstage.

Radomil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Radomil » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 pm

skreetis wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm
Peng33 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Soundstage combined with some VCAs can get you all kinds of panning madness. I use a Bastl Quattro Figaro, since it normals inverted CV from channels A and C to channels B and D, which makes it easy to set up panning using a single CV source per panned channel. Planar 2 is also useful, using its audio in, and its four outputs, to pan a source around the Soundstage.
That seems like an amazing combination! I didn't think of the planar 2! It seems like it gives a lot of control, do you know if it can completely Crossfade two signals using CV? Like something the xfade can do? I may pick one up because if it can, it can also be used for lots of other tricks!

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Radomil wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 pm
That seems like an amazing combination! I didn't think of the planar 2! It seems like it gives a lot of control, do you know if it can completely Crossfade two signals using CV? Like something the xfade can do? I may pick one up because if it can, it can also be used for lots of other tricks!
It can’t crossfade natively, but it’s a great CV source for easy crossfading if you have two VCAs.

EDIT: Actually, I think I’m wrong about that. I’ve never used it that way, and I don’t have it on hand at the moment to test it out, but I’m pretty sure if you patch in four sources, you can crossfade between them via the MIX out. Sorry if I’m spreading bad info!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 am

a really great module here.
https://starling.space/via/meta

the only reason I did not buy is size and price. maybe it works for you.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm

gonna release the LPZW.WK7 later this year. 2HP dual lin VCA with normalisation for easy pan/fade setups without additional modules

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm

been had the malekko XMIX on my radar forever, but my patches are usually so dense i haven't found the need for xfading just yet.. but it's between that or the A-138d

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:13 pm

OHEXOH wrote:

I was about to buy one of these. thank you for telling me. this must be an easy fix by changing 4 resistors. do you have high res pictures?

kingspill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kingspill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:13 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
I was about to buy one of these. thank you for telling me. this must be an easy fix by changing 4 resistors. do you have high res pictures?
I never even noticed, because I've been using my 0-Coast for CV, and I believe it can go up to 8V. I think Stages does as well (I don't have it yet). It is a little worrying though, should I want to use Marbles for CV, or get Pam's in the future. I guess a bipolar CV + Quadratt for offsets would work, but that would tie up all four channels. Unless Igor has a good reason for 6V, I'd be interested in a fix, although I'll have to find someone to do the work for me.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 am

mrhooks wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 am
I never even noticed, because I've been using my 0-Coast for CV, and I believe it can go up to 8V. I think Stages does as well (I don't have it yet). It is a little worrying though, should I want to use Marbles for CV, or get Pam's in the future. I guess a bipolar CV + Quadratt for offsets would work, but that would tie up all four channels. Unless Igor has a good reason for 6V, I'd be interested in a fix, although I'll have to find someone to do the work for me.
desoldering 4 resistors, soldering 4 new resistors is a pretty easy fix. the materials are $0.01 if you have them in stock already. I finished a big long reverse engineering project yesterday. I also repaired another eurorack module yesterday. it was used on reverb. instead of returning it I took it all apart, desoldered some things and put it back together in less than 30 minutes. I think I will give them 5 stars on reverb. the module works great now. :hmm:

ozmoziz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ozmoziz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:09 am

pelang wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm
COLD MAC
https://www.whimsicalraps.com/products/cold-mac
The main reason why I bought Cold Mac

Return to “Eurorack Modules”