Panning and cross-fading

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Panning and cross-fading

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:16 am

although I do need a full wave rectifier module and an offset module, I don't know if this big thing is better than a 2HP FWR + a 4HP SPO. the SPO has 2 2 input mixers. with flying attenuators, this becomes 2 2 channel mixers in 4HP + invert attenuate offset post mix. I am already selling off big modules to buy smaller ones.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am

skreetis wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 pm
Radomil wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 pm
That seems like an amazing combination! I didn't think of the planar 2! It seems like it gives a lot of control, do you know if it can completely Crossfade two signals using CV? Like something the xfade can do? I may pick one up because if it can, it can also be used for lots of other tricks!
It can’t crossfade natively, but it’s a great CV source for easy crossfading if you have two VCAs.

EDIT: Actually, I think I’m wrong about that. I’ve never used it that way, and I don’t have it on hand at the moment to test it out, but I’m pretty sure if you patch in four sources, you can crossfade between them via the MIX out. Sorry if I’m spreading bad info!
Can confirm that Planar 2 can crossfade between 2, 3 and 4 signals without use of a VCA via the MIX output. Very useful module indeed.
It can also do standard panning and quadraphonic panning, if you have such a set up.

I regularly have to remind myself of the planar2s capabilities as I more often than not just use it as a source of interesting CV. Going to try some crossfading with it tonight :sb:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am

teamhobson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am
skreetis wrote:
Radomil wrote:
That seems like an amazing combination! I didn't think of the planar 2! It seems like it gives a lot of control, do you know if it can completely Crossfade two signals using CV? Like something the xfade can do? I may pick one up because if it can, it can also be used for lots of other tricks!
It can’t crossfade natively, but it’s a great CV source for easy crossfading if you have two VCAs.

EDIT: Actually, I think I’m wrong about that. I’ve never used it that way, and I don’t have it on hand at the moment to test it out, but I’m pretty sure if you patch in four sources, you can crossfade between them via the MIX out. Sorry if I’m spreading bad info!
Can confirm that Planar 2 can crossfade between 2, 3 and 4 signals without use of a VCA via the MIX output. Very useful module indeed.
It can also do standard panning and quadraphonic panning, if you have such a set up.

I regularly have to remind myself of the planar2s capabilities as I more often than not just use it as a source of interesting CV. Going to try some crossfading with it tonight :sb:
Not to mention recording stick movements and playing them back at will ...

skreetis wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm
... Planar 2 is also useful, using its audio in, and its four outputs, to pan a source around the Soundstage.
Chookity Pok!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 am

The problem with Planar 2 (vs. Planar 1) is the digital noise which is present on the outputs. In my opinion this noise makes it unusable for audio sources - certainly with any quieter more ambient audio sources
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:13 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Dual XFade from Happy Nerding is great except it requires 6V to go from A > B. It's such a weird requirement - most of my modules (especially gate outputting modules) put out 5V.

I wanted to use it as a Switch but I can never fully crossfade the thing. What's frustrating is there's no manual or mention of that on their website. :hmm:
I was about to buy one of these. thank you for telling me. this must be an easy fix by changing 4 resistors. do you have high res pictures?
If you have a good source of bi-polar CV then -5 to +5 will send it from A to B when the mix is set to the middle. But yeah when Mix is set to fully A to send it to fully B it takes around 6v.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:25 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 am
If you have a good source of bi-polar CV then -5 to +5 will send it from A to B when the mix is set to the middle. But yeah when Mix is set to fully A to send it to fully B it takes around 6v.
if it works with 6v it will also work with 10. I'm waiting for pictures. if I can't customize this flaw then I will not buy it. I want to see if it is stacked and socketed. do you feel like taking pictures for me?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm

teamhobson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am
skreetis wrote:
Radomil wrote:

jeez, i completely forgot i did that. it was a while back, but i think i was panning rings back and forth between 4 different fx.

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:54 am

twos up for ladik a-410 - does the job (panning) nicely

1960strat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1960strat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am

I would recommend the Verbos scan and pan, i think it can also crossfade, but may be wrong

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Ladik Pan/mix (A-410) - recommended
EMW VC Pan - also good
or if you don't mind replacing chips all the time
Doepfer A-134
I think the a-134 only fries chips when you put in a negative rail without a positive one.
Like when you turn on or off the case and the supplies go up or down at different rates.
In other words, sometimes, every time you turn on or off the case. :bang:
I have only ever used any of these for auto panning (stereo)
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm
I think the a-134 only fries chips when you put in a negative rail without a positive one.
Like when you turn on or off the case and the supplies go up or down at different rates.
if there is a 2164 inside then that would support that. this is the only confirmed myth I know where a module will completely fail if the negative rails powers up before the positive rail. there is a fix posted in the DIY section a long time ago. either doepfer can redesign it to have protection or you can perform the mod yourself. I would rather buy something and mod it then not buy it at all. I guess that depends on if you like to do mods or can do mods etc...

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm

The Verbos scan and pane could do the job!

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:24 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm
Foghorn wrote:
if there is a 2164 inside then that would support that. this is the only confirmed myth I know where a module will completely fail if the negative rails powers up before the positive rail. there is a fix posted in the DIY section a long time ago. either doepfer can redesign it to have protection or you can perform the mod yourself. I would rather buy something and mod it then not buy it at all. I guess that depends on if you like to do mods or can do mods etc...
Yes, a V2164.
I must of put 7 or 8 in before I finally figured it out.(I bought a dozen from Mouser)
Actually I put in sockets for quick changes.
My solution was the EMW pan, and then the Ladik Pan modules.
Now I will stop hogging this thread for things that are not pertinent.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:25 am
OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 am
if it works with 6v it will also work with 10. I'm waiting for pictures. if I can't customize this flaw then I will not buy it. I want to see if it is stacked and socketed. do you feel like taking pictures for me?
Will DM you some pics

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

So many answers here recommending modules for panning that do not implement a proper pan-law.
:bang:

Though the ADDAC 805 pans properly according to ADDAC.

Ladik, Cold Mac, Planar II, MN X-Pan, and a whole bunch of other Eurorack panners and crossfaders are linear.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Two people sent over the pictures of the happy nerding crossfader. I will publish instructions to do the mod all open source etc.. no disrespect intended towards Igor. I think we can change resistors after we buy the module. I probably don't need or want to publish a full schematic. I'm not trying to encourage anything that hurts the business. I will post it in the DIY section later. People can stop sending me pictures of the module now since I already have it thank you.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm

I wanted to say that the happy nerding dual xfade is capable of operating in unipolar mode with only 5v after some resistor changes. I did look at it but I need to buy one to confirm that the mod is working before I post instructions. the CV input goes into a rectifier into a buffer into a mixer with the knob CV then into another buffer. it has TL072. super easy to figure it out.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 am
a really great module here.
https://starling.space/via/meta

the only reason I did not buy is size and price. maybe it works for you.
Agreed, great module. It's perfect for cross-fading, because the control for fade between A and B is internal and always perfectly goes from 0 to 100% signal across the fade. And it has a built-in generalized contour generator for every shape and rate you ever need to control the fade.

https://pugix.com/synth/starling-via-meta/

I have two of them. Yes, it's large, but very multi-function. However it does not do panning, only cross-fading.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:37 am

Foghorn wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:24 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm
Foghorn wrote:
Yes, a V2164.
I must of put 7 or 8 in before I finally figured it out.(I bought a dozen from Mouser)
Actually I put in sockets for quick changes.
My solution was the EMW pan, and then the Ladik Pan modules.
Now I will stop hogging this thread for things that are not pertinent.
Yikes! :doh: This is the first I’ve heard of this problem with the Doepfer planner. I’ve had an old version for years (only passes audio, not DC) but I just put a newer version in my rack This week. It’s the ver 2 from 2013 that also passes DC. Which version blows up?
I’m using tip-top uZues power with them :help:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am

do you see 1N4148 close to the 2164? if no then it is not protected.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”