Analog oscillator with good clarity and definition?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Analog oscillator with good clarity and definition?

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:03 am

I'm really happy with the Furthrrr Generator in this regard, it's sparkly and bubbly and shimmery.

The EN129 in comparison is lackluster and dull and it looks like it's on its way to the dark murky depths of the spares drawer. I have two of those, so this opens a 24hp space that could be stretched a bit to 28hp.

I'm looking for two oscillators or a single dual oscillator that could fit in this space and work well with the FG. What does that even mean? Comparable but different... I'll try to elaborate: rich timbre, clarity, definition, articulation, sonic range. An oscillator(s) that shines without requiring a filter or extra processing and can find its place alongside the FG.

I hope I'm not being too incoherent, anyway let's give this a try... your suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Last edited by huffnPuff on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Analog oscillator with good clarity and definition?

Post by lisa » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:03 am
An oscillator(s) that shines without requiring a filter or extra processing
Used for drones then? Or do you mean full voices, with built in VCAs and such?
My attempt at dodecaphony, following all of the twelve-tone serialism rules but still fashioning it the Lisa style that you all know and love. ;)

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:09 am

Not just drones, it can go through VCAs, LPGs, do melodic or percussive stuff.

Something expressive and malleable that I can work with and integrate in generative patches.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:15 am

livewire AFG or Cwejman VCO2RM. the livewire is bright because of the wavefolders and alien saws. the VCO2RM is unique in eurorack in my experience. what they do is reduce the slew rate on the FM inputs. decrease rise time on the saws. like pulling the blanked off the speakers to reveal honest brightness of perfect FM. it cuts through the mix like nothing else. it will leave your jaw on the floor. when you sell it you will have regrets. nightmares about the one that got away. the AFG is probably almost replaceable by now. the VCO2RM is not.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:22 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:15 am
livewire AFG or Cwejman VCO2RM. the livewire is bright because of the wavefolders and alien saws. the VCO2RM is unique in eurorack in my experience. what they do is reduce the slew rate on the FM inputs. decrease rise time on the saws. like pulling the blanked off the speakers to reveal honest brightness of perfect FM. it cuts through the mix like nothing else. it will leave your jaw on the floor. when you sell it you will have regrets. nightmares about the one that got away. the AFG is probably almost replaceable by now. the VCO2RM is not.
Yeah I was thinking about those two... thanks!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am

I’ve used a Rubicon and Dixie combo for years, it’s really my favourite analog osc I’ve ever used. Absolutely perfect for analog FM, really sparkly and clear with very precise production of side bands. I mention this because I recently acquired a Furthrrrr generator and whilst I also like this a lot too, they’re very very different in character and even in the way they respond to modulation. I like the Rubicon so much I’ve recently acquired a Rubicon 2 and another Dixie to go along with my original pair. It’s a very versatile combo.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:21 am

Carrousel wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am
I’ve used a Rubicon and Dixie combo for years, it’s really my favourite analog osc I’ve ever used. Absolutely perfect for analog FM, really sparkly and clear with very precise production of side bands. I mention this because I recently acquired a Furthrrrr generator and whilst I also like this a lot too, they’re very very different in character and even in the way they respond to modulation. I like the Rubicon so much I’ve recently acquired a Rubicon 2 and another Dixie to go along with my original pair. It’s a very versatile combo.
Rubicon II and Dixie II+ take 28hp. Doable. Thanks!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:06 am

You could also do Rubicon 1 and Dixie 2 (not 2+) in 24hp. All you’d lose is the warp function of the Rubicon (a nice addition but no deal breaker at all), the lock switch of the Rubicon (which helps dialling in deeper TZFM but is not essential) and some extra FM inputs on the Dixie. I recently discovered the TZFM input on Rubicon 1 is AC coupled which really makes it easier to use than on its successor (unless you whack a high pass filter in the path, which is obviously a bit annoying unless you’ve got one spare).
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

advrsry
Common Wiggler

Post by advrsry » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:12 am

Don't forget the Rossum Trident although it's not a classc Buchla-style complex oscillator

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am

Rubicon II and Dixie II+ are currently my mainstay, and I love 'em. If you're looking for clarity and definition, they're outstanding. I will say that while they definitely do sound great without a filter, having as many saw and pulse varieties as the R2 gives you might be a little excessive if you intend to *strictly* use them without a filter. Great oscs though.

Carrousel's point about AC coupling is a good one. The dixie can be calibrated to have very little DC offset, but I really wish the R2 was also AC-coupled.

It has only just hit me that you could abbreviate the combo as R2D2(+), and that has to be worth something.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:17 am

ari ellis wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am

It has only just hit me that you could abbreviate the combo as R2D2(+), and that has to be worth something.
:hyper: Amazing

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am

advrsry wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:12 am
Don't forget the Rossum Trident although it's not a classc Buchla-style complex oscillator
I'll have a look at it, thanks! (30hp is still doable in a pinch).

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 pm

I agree The Intellijel VCOs are very precise and clean. Cwejman is on a whole other level of sparkly. I also really like my Intruo Dual VCO. Cheers.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 pm

you might consider having a listen to a pittsburgh primary oscillator, rich and clear are two words Id use to describe that thing. And it has a wavefolder. Was quite surprised w how good this oscillator sounds.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 pm

The Pittsburgh Primary is great. ^

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 pm
you might consider having a listen to a pittsburgh primary oscillator, rich and clear are two words Id use to describe that thing. And it has a wavefolder. Was quite surprised w how good this oscillator sounds.
BlinkyLights wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 pm
I'll give the demos a listen. Thanks!

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 am

the cwejman stuff is no brainer... also the schipmann cs-8 is a powerful one... analogue systems makes amazing stuff as well, and i haven't heard the mangrove from mannequins but that one looks interesting as well

:guinness:
its all a party !

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:57 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
I don't understand why it doesn't seem to get much love round here. Not that anyone badmouths it, it just rarely seems to come up when people ask for recommendations.

I have one and think it sounds awesome - the 'timbre' output it particularly great. I find the harmonic sine really useful too.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

egg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:42 am

FG and intellijel vco have different sound character if I were you I wouldnt buy new vco

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 am

muleskinner wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:57 am
BlinkyLights wrote:
I don't understand why it doesn't seem to get much love round here. Not that anyone badmouths it, it just rarely seems to come up when people ask for recommendations.
probably because of how they positioned themselves when they launched the brand. they wanted to have the cheapest simplest noob friendly modules. almost like doepfer but with less good panel design and less pedigree. then they try to go head to head with DPO or CS-L hmmm I wonder why everyone has a perception that they already know what they know about this company. I remember all the problems with these cheap pitts modules in the first year. these were beta but people paid the price of a new module. I remember there were two bugs on the voltage block. some of the panel/module designs were so bad that pittsburg deleted them forever. if everything is good now then I have no reason to say anything bad about the company or the modules. but if he doesn't sell a lot now it is entirely reactionary to how he introduced things, priced things, and marketed or didn't market his wares.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 am

egg wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:42 am
FG and intellijel vco have different sound character if I were you I wouldnt buy new vco
I already have an expanded Synchrodyne, a PDO and the FG. They're all very different but can be made to play well with one another.

I want to have up to eight sines/ sinusoids for polyphonic drones etc, so if I take out the EN129s I'd like to replace them with something(s). The Triple Wave Folder gives me three channels of saw/ triangle to sine conversion, it takes care of the Synchrodyne combo. I also have a Multifilter for the eighth sine (this one's very very clean).

I'm also using the above on their own (or in pairs), as complex voices. Here too the R2D2 ;) could work.

The Shapeshifter, Odessa or Piston Honda wouldn't blend in this crowd but I think the Dixie and Rubicon could fit in rather well and add a flavor of their own. From all the options that were mentioned, this seems the most suitable.
Last edited by huffnPuff on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 am
muleskinner wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:57 am
BlinkyLights wrote:
probably because of how they positioned themselves when they launched the brand. they wanted to have the cheapest simplest noob friendly modules. almost like doepfer but with less good panel design and less pedigree. then they try to go head to head with DPO or CS-L hmmm I wonder why everyone has a perception that they already know what they know about this company. I remember all the problems with these cheap pitts modules in the first year. these were beta but people paid the price of a new module. I remember there were two bugs on the voltage block. some of the panel/module designs were so bad that pittsburg deleted them forever. if everything is good now then I have no reason to say anything bad about the company or the modules. but if he doesn't sell a lot now it is entirely reactionary to how he introduced things, priced things, and marketed or didn't market his wares.
I had the original PM oscillator, it wasn't bad.

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 am
I want to have up to eight sines/ sinusoids for polyphonic drones etc, so if I take out the EN129s I'd like to replace them with something(s).
Living Vco's then, perhaps? Sonically, it will accompany FG quite well, aesthetically (graphics) - never.

From my experience, besides the FG that you own, Richter and Verbos sounded the best, but that's all subjective and comes down to ideas you are up to.
Last edited by Biom on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:08 am

Biom wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am
huffnPuff wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 am
I want to have up to eight sines/ sinusoids for polyphonic drones etc, so if I take out the EN129s I'd like to replace them with something(s).
Living Vco's then, perhaps? Sonically, it will accompany FG quite well, aesthetically (graphics) - never.

From my experience, among the FG that you own, Richter and Verbos sounded the best, but that's all subjective and comes down to ideas you are up to.
Not of fan of Verbos, in fact I replaced the CO with the FG. To my ears they're not in the same league.

I'll have a look at the Living VCO. Thanks.

Edit- 42hp ouch.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 am

living VCO's big advantage is the unison controller and built in modulation. to use them as individual voices would be missing the point. it would be a waste of HP. living VCO's are great for a %100 analog super saw or some fake strings. keyboard player stuff. huffnpuff mentioned sine waves and drones. to me that implies BBC tape center, SF tape center, GRM, subotnic etc..

Return to “Eurorack Modules”