Chord oscillator for pad purposes

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

NJlo
Learning to Wiggle

Chord oscillator for pad purposes

Post by NJlo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:59 pm

I find the chord mode in my Plaits to be a bit... Harsh. It's probably pilot error, but hey, never miss an opportunity to buy new gear :party:

Shapeshifter seems absolutely amazing... But expensive. 4ms Ensemble Oscillator impressed me from the very first time I heard it in a Loopop video and seems like it can do what I want (and then some)

Any other modules to recommend? Apart from buying three Doepfer oscillators and a mixer ;)

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Chord oscillator for pad purposes

Post by sierraoskar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Qubit Chord looks solid? Acid Rain Technology Chainsaw i had briefly - it was very cool but just didn’t work for the setup I had at that time. I also very much enjoy the chord modes of Akemie’s Castle but some of its sounds may seem harsh given how you feel about Plaits. For what it’s worth I find Plaits chord mode to be very flexible In tone and sound great through an analog filter.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Chord oscillators are often frustrating to me. I'm a classically trained pianist so I know how to play chords but having them in some arbitrary order is annoying to me; having to scan through them for the right one. I don't know how that'd be improved without losing some control, though. To me, the Instruō harmonàig is a great compromise. The chords are clearly written out and it can choose chords on it's own if you want it to. It isn't an oscillator though. :razz:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:47 pm

expert sleepers generalCV (general midi module) can do chords from the general midi or with an adapter send a chord out to any midi sound source

or the 4ms ensemble oscillator looks interesting

or xaoc odessa - might need the expander - I'm not sure

if you want more control the harmonaig looks good and there's also the acl sinfonion, but that is quite a lot more expensive
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

foot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foot » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:55 pm

This thread is highly relevant to my interests. Really like the sound of the 4ms from what I’m hearing!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Not what you're asking for but a Doepfer A-111-4 with an Elektrofon Klang could give you a lot of control over chords.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

NJlo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NJlo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:03 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:14 pm
Chord oscillators are often frustrating to me. I'm a classically trained pianist so I know how to play chords but having them in some arbitrary order is annoying to me; having to scan through them for the right one. I don't know how that'd be improved without losing some control, though. To me, the Instruō harmonàig is a great compromise. The chords are clearly written out and it can choose chords on it's own if you want it to. It isn't an oscillator though. :razz:
I get what you mean. Got a degree in jazz guitar... But the sequenced nature of modular seems to draw me away from doing things with actual harmonic progressions. Might not necessarily be a bad thing.

NJlo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NJlo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 pm
Not what you're asking for but a Doepfer A-111-4 with an Elektrofon Klang could give you a lot of control over chords.
Interesting! I can get the polyphonic sequencing done with my FH-2, but I'm mainly looking for something simple for a layer of ambient goodness :)

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:07 pm

I have a like/dislike relationship with my Chord v2. Its convenient, offers a fourth voice, and has the mode where they share the same pitch/fine knobs but allows for separate V/Oct modulation (4 separate V/Oct inputs). So you can drive it with Harmonaig if you don't want to use the built in diatonic doohickey.

But to my ear, it also sounds harsh and I struggle to find settings I like. Definitely needs a filter after it. I suppose I can try to futz with the user wavetables but I have't had time to do so. Also IMO there are way too many choices on the voicing knob and I have a hard time getting the root pitch + the voicing set where I like it, and then if try to modulate voicing, it just throws it out of whack again. I end up leaving the controls alone and barely modulating it.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/3, Tuesday in the bin!, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm

There is a rare erthenvar patchord for sale. 4ms released the harmonic oscillator. 2020 good for chords.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Qu-bit Chord and 4MS Ensemble are nice to my ears.
But Lisa's commend definitely holds true, and Harmonaig is a great chord tool if you already have or want multiple oscillators anyway.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:32 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm
There is a rare erthenvar patchord for sale. 4ms released the harmonic oscillator. 2020 good for chords.
Say what?
rare patchcord? :hmm:
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:50 pm

I never found the chords mode in Plaits to be very good, but overall I find the timbres disappointing. I had the original Qu-Bit chord, and never got on with it. The Ensemble is great though--fast and straightforward--and wide range of nice sounding timbres to my ears. The interface is also excellent, and price is reasonable--would certainly recommend it.

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Telharmonic from make noise

dreamdead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dreamdead » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Don't overlook the telharmonic!

oliq
Common Wiggler

Post by oliq » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Braids with the Renaissance firmware is interesting for chords. Use the built in quantiser and you can get a sensible range of chords fitted to a scale rather than the same voicing just transposed with a root note other modules give you.

Acid rain chainsaw worth a look, has 3 CV ins to construct the chords any way you want, although you'll need some serious sequencing to make best use of it. Would work well with a Cirklon.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Schrank wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Telharmonic from make noise
Glad someone said it :)

Akemie's Castle, if you want something large and ridiculous yet pretty damn great. One of the fun things about it is if you use the FM algorithm that has 3 carriers, then the A output can be a 15-oscillator chord, while the B output is another set of 3 oscillators with a separate V/OCT control.

Starling Via OSC3 -- which I just tried out minutes ago -- does unison detuning (which can be synchronized to an external clock, or vice versa) or a chord mode. Does some pretty nifty things with AM too. (And you can switch the firmware (and preferably the front panel) to 6 other things as well...)

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:08 pm

I can't remember where I saw that erthenvar for sale. You can see old listings on reverb about 1 or 2 per year. Look through used gear at analog haven, big city music, noise bug, switched on, etc..you sometimes find rare stuff.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 pm

SE Quadnic
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:42 pm

If you don't mind typing out your chord progressions as a text file well ahead of time, there's always Music Thing Modular's Chord Organ. Instead of having generic chords - root position, closed voicing - to be used in any song, you can type up chord voicings to fit a progression, incorporating voice leading.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm

NJlo wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:03 pm
lisa wrote:
[/quote

I get what you mean. Got a degree in jazz guitar... But the sequenced nature of modular seems to draw me away from doing things with actual harmonic progressions. Might not necessarily be a bad thing.
Honestly, would love to hear more. If not harmonic progressions, what part(s) do you tend to sequence?

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm

neumedi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm
NJlo wrote:
lisa wrote:
[/quote

Honestly, would love to hear more. If not harmonic progressions, what part(s) do you tend to sequence?

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 pm

neumedi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm
neumedi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm
NJlo wrote:
lisa wrote:
[/quote

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:52 pm

NJlo wrote:
lisa wrote:

Matt_L
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Matt_L » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 pm

lisa wrote:
I own both the Make Noise telHarmonic and 4ms Ensemble Oscillator and while I think they are awesome and interesting, I totally get this critique. If you need this level of control, I'd recommend just getting a keyboard synth (or if you really want to go deep, the ACL Sinfonion with lots of VCOs).

There are countless of interesting things to do with the telHarmonic and Ensoc, but if you need precise control over the harmonic progression, these modules require a bit of work. The scale/interval functions are CV-controllable, though, so I've been trying to use sequencers to implement the harmonic changes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”