Chord oscillator for pad purposes

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Chord oscillator for pad purposes

Post by Foghorn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 am

Erthenvar Patchcord
Who knew?
well I didn't. But that is pretty cool.
Erthenvar patchcord on Youtube
Also, I wondered why the chord organ was called chord organ. Who knew?
I thought it was just another radio music, that played chords or something.
I still have a chord organ and a radio music.
I kinda replaced them with Tiptop one(s) and threw the chord organ and radio music in a box.
Who knew?
Dammit, on another page...again!
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm

I use a SE Quadnic for such things, 12hp, 4 1v/oct inputs, three modes of operation, basically a wave table type device.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 am

Parnelli wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm
I use a SE Quadnic for such things, 12hp, 4 1v/oct inputs, three modes of operation, basically a wave table type device.
I thought about getting one but then I read that it doesn't rember settings after being turned off. That must be a hassle?
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

WetSoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WetSoul » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:39 am

lisa wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 am
Parnelli wrote:
I thought about getting one but then I read that it doesn't rember settings after being turned off. That must be a hassle?
I heard that the settings saving issue for oscillators 2-4 was addressed in a firmware update. Can anyone confirm? Super interested in this module.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 am

Most of the chord theory is over my head. That said I can relate to being frustrated with chord generating modules. The Chord Organ does sound surprisingly good for the price and space it takes up.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 am

WetSoul wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:39 am
lisa wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 am
Parnelli wrote:
I heard that the settings saving issue for oscillators 2-4 was addressed in a firmware update. Can anyone confirm? Super interested in this module.
Don't think so. The product copy paints a picture of not remembering settings as a good thing:

"the Quad defaults to voice 1 active with current pot positions. All edits are live; all edits are volatile. Exciting. Always fresh."

:roll:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 pm

In addition to other changes Quadnic V2 firmware makes it far easier to tune or change other parameters for all 4 osc at once. A massive improvement but the module does not save anything when powered down. A hassle for sure if you need specific sounds you've created for a live setting or whatever.

For saving look to the 4ms SWN - 6 oscillators each with its own 1v/oct input and has over a 100 user 'sphere' patch locations to save to.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 am

I have had a Music Thing Chord Organ and telHarmonic since they came out.

The telHarmonic is easy to use, but I find the locked in nature of the chords limits it too much. You really are stuck with basic triads in a major scale. Probably Ok for pop or dance music, but it tends to sound like a 80s video game. I have kept the tely for the synthesis modes, which are quite interesting and different.

The beauty of the Chord Organ is that you can set it up how you want. The 'default' setup has 16 different chord types, all based on the same root note, so it expects you to program chord progressions by sequencing the root note and chord type separately. This can be tricky because there is no screen or way of knowing what chord you have other than by ear. I prefer to load it with a full set of chords for a particualr piece so I can just leave the root fixed and move around the chords with a sequencer. You can voice the chords how you want - so if you want a massive string pad, you can spread the lower voices to stop it becoming muddy.

Chord Organ doesn't include any controls over timbre or dynamics, but you can do that externally with a filter, VCA and envelope generators. The waves are basic, but can be beefed up with FX.

Here are a couple of very simple examples (they are so simple that they sound a bit like the tely / 80s game music anyway). The first one just uses a set of six diatonic triads (i.e. all except the diminished ) and a kind of random progression:

The second one uses a set of 16 4-voice chords formed from the notes of the pentatonic major scale. There is a random melody in pentatonic major that comes in a couple of times and the waveform changes in the middle of the example:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”