Vermona MeloDICER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Vermona MeloDICER

Post by second_breakfast » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:12 am

I finally got my Vermona MeloDICER racked. However, I'm having a hard time getting it to sync with my external reset and mute. The whole reset + mute thing is a bit confusing but I think I have everything patched up right. However, still not getting the right results. Clock is coming from Pams. I have a trigger from Pams on clock start going to gate 1 in, set to reset. I have trigger from Pams going to gate 2 set to mute. So when I stop Pams it should mute the outputs. It doesn't. The reset trigger does reset the sequencer but many beats late and inconsistently. Anybody have success with extra clock/reset that could help me out?
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by second_breakfast » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 am

Update- I figured out the mute part- it wants a constant 'gate on' to stay muted. Still haven't figured out the reset though. Thanks.
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

User avatar
youkon
frequency research department
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Germany, Stuttgart

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by youkon » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm


User avatar
Chaklack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Chaklack » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm

They have these for sale at juno.co.uk FYI - and they are pretty reasonable - will give a discount if you ask nicely.

I just bought one today.

User avatar
MARK27
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by MARK27 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm
They have these for sale at juno.co.uk FYI - and they are pretty reasonable - will give a discount if you ask nicely.

I just bought one today.
How much was shipping to the US?

User avatar
batch
Collector of fine modules
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by batch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:56 pm

You need some screws!!!
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

User avatar
Chaklack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Chaklack » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 am

MARK27 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Chaklack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm
They have these for sale at juno.co.uk FYI - and they are pretty reasonable - will give a discount if you ask nicely.

I just bought one today.
How much was shipping to the US?
I live in Massachusetts - there was a $7 slow option without tracking which I've used (took like two weeks or some shit) or a $35 FedEx option.

With the $35 FedEx option and the "ask us for lower price" it came to less than $400

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by glennfin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 am

Just ordered mine from Juno. Good price with Fedex priority shipping to U.S. NC. 8-)


Chaklack wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 am
MARK27 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Chaklack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm
They have these for sale at juno.co.uk FYI - and they are pretty reasonable - will give a discount if you ask nicely.

I just bought one today.
How much was shipping to the US?
I live in Massachusetts - there was a $7 slow option without tracking which I've used (took like two weeks or some shit) or a $35 FedEx option.

With the $35 FedEx option and the "ask us for lower price" it came to less than $400

User avatar
Chaklack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Chaklack » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 am

glennfin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 am
Just ordered mine from Juno. Good price with Fedex priority shipping to U.S. NC. 8-)


Chaklack wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 am
MARK27 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Chaklack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm
They have these for sale at juno.co.uk FYI - and they are pretty reasonable - will give a discount if you ask nicely.

I just bought one today.
How much was shipping to the US?
I live in Massachusetts - there was a $7 slow option without tracking which I've used (took like two weeks or some shit) or a $35 FedEx option.

With the $35 FedEx option and the "ask us for lower price" it came to less than $400

now if they would only ship it..... abnormally long delay for them.

1960strat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:51 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by 1960strat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:39 am

these look pretty cool. i havent seen them before. availability?

User avatar
Chaklack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Chaklack » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:58 am

1960strat wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:39 am
these look pretty cool. i havent seen them before. availability?
if USA - little to none. I got Juno in the UK to ship me one. I think there was 3 left last time I checked.

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by behndy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:43 pm

they're in stock at Perfect Circuit, just ordered one.
second_breakfast wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 am
Update- I figured out the mute part- it wants a constant 'gate on' to stay muted. Still haven't figured out the reset though. Thanks.
did you get the reset figured out? moop boop?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by tdallas » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 pm

If anyone wonders about the usage of mute and restart on this module there is a manual available (now?) -> https://www.vermona.com/fileadmin/user_ ... %20web.pdf

It seems that one has to route the functionality to the relevant gate inputs first:
F2040DAC-99D6-4980-BE36-247E44487DA1.jpeg
And mute itself has two separate modes in addition:
E57911B9-F0BF-43D7-AEEB-04864478DFCC.jpeg
It’s my first day with this module but so far it is very musical and comes with a very high build quality :tu:

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by tdallas » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Please ignore (see more detailed post below).
Last edited by tdallas on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by tdallas » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello Melodicers ;-) I do not know how much love this very nice sequencer is receiving at the moment (the serial number on mine is 45/20 ;) ). But since this was discussed somewhere above me I would like to share the result of some test drives with PAM in control:

1.) Melodicer expects quarter notes as a clock (1 PPQN)
2.) Mute by GATE IN needs to be hold on a high level to stay active
3.) Restart/Reset gates are always executed with the next clock impulse (on quarter notes)
4.) If the clock + restart gates are both coming from PAM, this works fine for me:
- shorten both gate lengths (-> e.g. to 10 %)
- to avoid delayed/skipped restarts, one should shift the restart signal a little bit ahead of the clock gate* (-> phase of restart channel to 1%)
5.) In case that the mute gate is coming from PAM as well, one should also set the phase of this channel similar to the restart value. Otherwise the GATE OUT might send short click impulses (e.g. to a VCA) when a restart is fired at the same moment and both gates are not lined up.

Hope this might help other wigglers in the same situation.

(*) This is not a deal breaker if you know it. But I've asked Vermona about the possibility to accept a bit (more) jitter between the gate and clock signals in a maybe upcoming firmware. Hopefully this is possible :-) as an example there was a similar situation with the reset behaviour on Intellijel Steppy in combination with PAM which is gone since an update in Steppy (v1.11).

User avatar
Electro Something
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Electro Something » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Can the Melodicer do anything for triggering drums? I’m wondering if those sliders used for notes and melodies could somehow turn into a Euclidean-type pattern generator.

User avatar
MARK27
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 pm

The meloDICER has a gate out obviously, and you have control over it, but it is really only intended to complement the melody CV. The Vermona RandomRhythm is their trigger/gate sequencer (with a very similar user interface), although it is probability based instead of Euclidean, and might not be what you're looking for.

If you are genuinely after Euclidean pattern functionality, I personally recommend the Qu-bit Pulsar. I like its UI much better than Euclidean Circles, which seems to be the standard for Euclidean gate and trigger patterns.

User avatar
Electro Something
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Electro Something » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 am

Holy hell I just got this and it instantly became my favorite module ever. Nothing can crank out a catchy melody faster. Haven’t even tried to modulate it - just so much fun to play as an instrument.

Now if they’d only release an expander that would allow multiple CV and gates, I’d be in heaven.

ritec
Common Wiggler
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: DC

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by ritec » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:32 am

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 am
Holy hell I just got this and it instantly became my favorite module ever. Nothing can crank out a catchy melody faster. Haven’t even tried to modulate it - just so much fun to play as an instrument.

Now if they’d only release an expander that would allow multiple CV and gates, I’d be in heaven.
I can’t wait for mine to arrive! What you said is exactly what I envision. :sb:

User avatar
MvK
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by MvK » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:57 am

is there an expansion port?

User avatar
Electro Something
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Electro Something » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm

MvK wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:57 am
is there an expansion port?
Not that I’m aware of. I’d love one tho. The new Omsonic module has an expander, but doesn’t have CV in.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by tdallas » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Beside the power socket there are at least two other unknown ports X9/X10 on the back and the firmware is still under development for additional features and fixes (mine is on version R23 at the moment). So it could be possible that there is other gear in the pipeline - but you might ask Vermona directly. They are very(!) helpful and from my understanding open for questions/ideas.

Edit: firmwares can be found here -> http://firmware.vermona.com/melodicer/

Niamac
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by Niamac » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm

tdallas wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Beside the power socket there are at least two other unknown ports X9/X10 on the back and the firmware is still under development for additional features and fixes (mine is on version R23 at the moment). So it could be possible that there is other gear in the pipeline - but you might ask Vermona directly. They are very(!) helpful and from my understanding open for questions/ideas.

Edit: firmwares can be found here -> http://firmware.vermona.com/melodicer/
You wouldn't happen to know the update process ? I can't find anything on Vermona website

User avatar
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: central usofa

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by nostalghia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Niamac wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm
tdallas wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Beside the power socket there are at least two other unknown ports X9/X10 on the back and the firmware is still under development for additional features and fixes (mine is on version R23 at the moment). So it could be possible that there is other gear in the pipeline - but you might ask Vermona directly. They are very(!) helpful and from my understanding open for questions/ideas.

Edit: firmwares can be found here -> http://firmware.vermona.com/melodicer/
You wouldn't happen to know the update process ? I can't find anything on Vermona website
It's described in detail in the "Read Me" file included in the zip file folder you download from the firmware link above.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Vermona MeloDICER

Post by tdallas » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 am

Niamac wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm
tdallas wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Beside the power socket there are at least two other unknown ports X9/X10 on the back and the firmware is still under development for additional features and fixes (mine is on version R23 at the moment). So it could be possible that there is other gear in the pipeline - but you might ask Vermona directly. They are very(!) helpful and from my understanding open for questions/ideas.

Edit: firmwares can be found here -> http://firmware.vermona.com/melodicer/
You wouldn't happen to know the update process ? I can't find anything on Vermona website
Hi. Like nostalghia said it is described in the ZIP container itself. I got this link directly from Vermona during our communication regarding the latest fix (quantized transposition) and they allowed me to post it here. To my knowledge it is not on the website at the moment, but this link always contains the latest official released firmware. We also talked about a Linux updater and maybe they will provide one in the future.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”