How do you use your Eurorack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Re: How do you use your Eurorack?

Post by jube » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:48 am

dreamdead wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:45 am
Voltage controlled nightlight
:lol: I have played with the idea to make an alarm clock module

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 am

The modular is basically the studio. I patch up and play the system live, very rarely hit record. The Nord is a recent addition so I can play along with the modular chuntering away - beeping, warbling, droning - I add a few chords and something more melodic over the top. Once i am done* I completely un-patch and start fresh each time. I do it for me, no one else, the process is at least as interesting as the result: in fact the process/activity is the result.

*done - means I have got a patch running that pleases me and that I have then fiddled and twiddled with so much it is beyond recovery or impossible to return to its sweet spot, or I run out of musical ideas to play on the keyboard.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am

Somewhat motivated semi-pro musician with a day job. I perform with my modular occasionally, mainly in my band. Guitar player first, but that's so boring to me that I spend way more time making little jams on my synths. 84hp 7u.

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:15 am

DalNiente wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:57 am
I found Eurorack as an alternative to writing "serious" music, which is my daytime job as a contemporary composer. For me it's all about the patching, meditation, listening and enjoyment. That's why I'm not really interested in producing or releasing my tracks, most often I'm not even recording. After six years of working in the music business it's quite relaxing and empowering to let loose, that's why I prefer to do noise/ drone/ glitch music: music that is not based on precise compositional decisions but rather randomness, chaos and generative settings. I tend to prefer working with very small and minimal setups, focusing on only a few modules that I put together as miniature instruments (so far two constellations of 48HP an 64HP). It encourages me to get creative and to really spend time with the one or two modules that I love at the moment, before trying out something else. As I said in the end it's all about me having fun during the process and feeling inspired by the act of controlled interaction and sonic contemplation.
I totally get this. I find fiddling with modular a very meditative(and time consuming!) experience. I’m typically not doing it to any compositional end and rarely
record it. I do use it as a compositional/production tool when I feel it’s appropriate, but the bulk of the time I use it is for personal pleasure and exploration.

Interestingly, to me anyway, I think synthesis has filled in the space guitar used to fill for me. 30 years into guitar playing and it feels a bit more like a tool than the world of wonder it once was for me. That bums me out a bit, but fortunately music is an endless pursuit so I have synths, mohan veenas, and charangos to keep my mind occupied, haha.

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 am

ZenitSar wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am
Somewhat motivated semi-pro musician with a day job. I perform with my modular occasionally, mainly in my band. Guitar player first, but that's so boring to me that I spend way more time making little jams on my synths. 84hp 7u.
Same! Haha

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm

dreamdead wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:45 am
Voltage controlled nightlight
... and I don't have to put up a tree for the holidays; I have plenty of blinkenlights! :guinness:

dreamdead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dreamdead » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Parnelli wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm

... and I don't have to put up a tree for the holidays; I have plenty of blinkenlights! :guinness:
Haha! At this rate, it'll pay for itself in a matter of years. Why do people talk about how expensive modular synthesizers are?

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm a retired electronic music teacher. This involved everything from designing and building studios to sitting on DMA thesis committees. I taught modular synthesis for 40 years, using various classic systems, but (for budgetary reasons) not Eurorack.

After a long break pursuing post retirement projects, I began putting a Euro system together two years ago. I now have about 1000 hp in four cases. Case 1 (6U) is a laptop driven Mantis with fairly traditional modules that I can carry to occasional lectures and demonstrations. Case 2 (4U) is a portable system designed for live performance on a MIDI wind instrument or various contraptions I build. Case 3 (6U) ties the first two together into an 8 voice studio instrument. Case 4 (9U) is mostly experimental odds and ends.

My genre is algorithmic composition based on Max in the laptop. I'm extending traditional analog control paradigms using techniques like fuzzy logic. This has given me a set of patches that I can jam along with or just let cook in the background while I'm building new modules.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Because yard fires aren't allowed in my area I needed a new way to burn my money.

But seriously, I'm in the hobbyist camp. I will use the modular to create samples I use in my MPC or I make sequencer-based music that provides a background to other keyboard synthesizers. I've found that learning modular has caused me to rethink how I approach music which has been really refreshing. I also find it meditative and an excellent way to de-stress after work.

slamcityjam
1-Post Wiggler

Post by slamcityjam » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm

My first instrument is also guitar and I've been making and jamming music in different bands since my late teens (around 15 years ago). I discovered effect pedals in my early twenties and was completely hooked. I still play in a semi-pro band that heavily relies on its sound through guitar pedals and I've spent thousands of dollars refining my space ship to it's current state.
For me the magic in sound exploring with guitar has somewhat faded but I still consider my pedal board to be a part of my instrument and I still love playing guitar WITH people. However when I'm home I haven't really felt excited about playing guitar in a long time.

I stumbled upon modular after getting a Moog Grandmother, trying to get a grip through youtube-tutorials and accidentally came across a Rings-demo. A week later I had my first case with Rings sitting there alone (still there and never going anywhere).

This was roughly a year ago and I've just now filled my 208HP case. For me eurorack ignited that sense of exploring sounds I had when I got my first guitar pedals. I use it differently every time but have found myself often building a patch for a few hours then record my jam with it and chop out parts that I like and continue building songs that way. Sometimes I build more of a classic mono synth bass/lead sound but mostly I enjoy the learning aspect of it. I also feel a kind of buddhist "mandala" vibe about my modular, like: "this is a magical moment that will be lost forever when I unplug the patch cords (but I'm totally fine with it)".

jkanizzle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jkanizzle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

....and, first post!

I'm a 20 year+ semi-pro (sold albums and get paid for gigs but it's not my full time career) dj and producer who.....got bored. I've rocked crowds all across the country from small clubs to giant festivals, yet the 'challenge' of dj'ing just didn't exist anymore. Just prepping for a set became tedious.
Combine that with being a lover of the studio, a complete gearslut, and the age of covid...and you get an equation that resulted with me diving headfirst into building the rig of my dreams.

I've spent way more than I want to admit in the last 6 months, and have filled up two 420 hp cases. The system was built with live performance/jamming in mind, although I don't know if I ever care if that happens in front of a crowd. I have found myself noodling and creating pretty insane generative moody patches from time to time, yet I'm more interested in the idea of actual composition of bass music through the system. With a fairly advanced knowledge of synthesis and music production/engineering coming into this, my ultimate goal is to go the youtube route and teach how to create a total 'song' from beginning to end with a modular rig. I think. Or maybe I'll soundtrack movies. Or I'll just make noise for myself and not care if anyone else hears it.

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:33 pm

I just like noise

I'm a hobbyist who fell down the free improvisation rabbit hole a long time ago but could never escape electronics and found myself here. I don't think anyone makes money from the music I listen to so in that context what does professional mean?

Just pure joy of noise and the sound of raw electrical power

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Well, once they banned Lawn Darts I was bored...

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:09 pm

MarcelP wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 am
The modular is basically the studio. I patch up and play the system live, very rarely hit record. The Nord is a recent addition so I can play along with the modular chuntering away - beeping, warbling, droning - I add a few chords and something more melodic over the top. Once i am done* I completely un-patch and start fresh each time. I do it for me, no one else, the process is at least as interesting as the result: in fact the process/activity is the result.

*done - means I have got a patch running that pleases me and that I have then fiddled and twiddled with so much it is beyond recovery or impossible to return to its sweet spot, or I run out of musical ideas to play on the keyboard.

Marcel that is a beautiful studio!

I love music, maybe a bit to much as I sometimes stress out when I dont make music. I get this feeling that I should practice more, record more, write more, and when I do time stops and I feel real good. But when I stop I think about music again... really not at all healthy.

Lately I’ve been trying to follow your approach of doing it for myself. It is funnier and I think it is a good way forward.

Im an amatuer that make a few tracks each year. I have a two row á 84 hp case build to be a really dope mono synth with three voices. The modular is part of the studio, great for experimentation, recording cool parts and killer melodic lines.

Right now I have a thing for rock pop and rnb so I play more bass and guitar than synth, but it is still one of my favourite instruments in my setup :)

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

Effects processor for my slide whistle collection

TheManicMagician
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheManicMagician » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:46 am

267hp, about 3 grand into the abyss. I play bassoon and am earning a composition degree from a university. The majority of my music making and writing is very structured, in the contemporary classical idiom, etc etc. The synth is a place I can get away from the paper and pencil and explore. Mostly a fun thing/hobby but I am starting to record and perform solo gigs live (I also amplify my bassoon and run through a modest pedalboard). I also freelance as a film composer and work as a sound guy for the university.

The synth itself is a hybrid setup, I have an es-9 and a beatstep pro that take audio/midi/cv to and from the computer running VCV. Most of my hardware is relatively basic analog circuits that I can use for sound design and then everything gets piped into the computer for mixing/dsp. I also use the computer as a glorified sample player. I enjoy the sometimes unpredictable nature of my analog gear and using a laptop doesn't bother me. Quite happy with the system I've built!

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Breezewax » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:04 pm

I started off with a uzeus tiptop, es3 and es6 and some diy modules as a filter/analog box to run sounds from ableton and midi>cv.
2 years later I have around 400hp and just got a nerdseq which is absolutely amazing and has been a lot of fun to use (really looking forward to the keyboard/hdmi monitor expander).

I have been using it to:
-replace melodic midi vst tracks with analog
-sound design experimentation fx creation
-running in the box sounds through filters and other modules.

Id like to make a track entirely with the modular, Ive also been curious about some of the random, generative, krell patches ive seen and would like to delve into that.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 pm

I started as a professional brass musician. Didn't like the music industry, and became an engineer, instead.
Then I discovered the theremin, and one of them had outs for gate, cv, and trigger. Oof...famous last words!

I tried to resist eurorack for as long as possible, so I have a nice collection of desktop boxes and 5U. But it sucked me in at the end. Only 204 hp, though.

I use the euro in conjunction with my audio rack and desktop stuff to make backing tracks for the theremin. I get dragged out of my cave to play live occasionally, sometimes with my wife's choir. The blinkenlights give the audience something nice to look at, as I am fat and hairy.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

It's evolved over time. It started out as a way to break out of East Coast subtractive synth voice territory, to create experimental, generative music, and ambient soundscapes, and glitchy noise.

Years later, I use it mainly for specific production and sound design, for an album in progress which is experimental glitchy hip-hop / trip-hop / IDM, as well as for film scoring.

My Eurorack system is now in a more focused two case setup (7U + 4U), part of a hybrid workflow with Ableton for some MIDI-to-CV DAW sequencing, combined with some in-modular modulation that is not on the grid. Sometimes I use a MachineDrum for trigger sequencing. I like some standalone polysynths/modules for chords and polyphony in conjunction with the Eurorack. In-modular modulation that I love includes Planar 2 joystick gestural recording, as well as sample-and-hold with combinations of LFOs and envelopes to create stepped or smooth sequences of regular or odd lengths. I love exploring the timbres from modules like DPO, Akemie's Castle, Odessa, Loquelic Iteritas, Equation Composer. I love matrix mixers and switches to send parts of a patch intermittently to effects that are not in the modular. I like to record to vintage tape machines or vintage digital samplers to pitch up/down or cut up or go granular with the sounds. I like processing acoustic instruments through the modular too.

Occasionally, I still just patch meditatively.

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:16 pm

I’m a hobbyist who releases quite a bit of my music, as I record directly to the 4ms wav recorder in my rack. No one listens to my stuff, but it’s fun and fulfilling to release my music to the world.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”